VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Gr.Adv. Debate #7: Which ride's removal would be most devastating to the park?

The reason why the Parachuter's Perch was originally built where there was to act as a big attraction to draw guests through the games area. The games make the park tons of free money, and anything they can do to call people down past them all just brings in more money. When it comes down to it, it's a 250 foot tall tower on the edge of the parking lot, there's really no way to camouflage that.

The reason why the Parachuter's Perch was originally built where there was to act as a big attraction to draw guests through the games area. The games make the park tons of free money, and anything they can do to call people down past them all just brings in more money. When it comes down to it, it's a 250 foot tall tower on the edge of the parking lot, there's really no way to camouflage that.

Exactly, it already stands out by being a 250 foot tall tower. It is not necessary to paint it obnoxious colors on top of that to get people to see it. The parachutes should be brightly colored, not the pole. People should notice the parachutes, not the support tower holding them up.

I'm getting a bit confused with the subject matter here of this topic. By the title, it says "which ride's removal would be the most devastating to the park." A lot of the rides people are listing here I feel would hardly devastate the park. If they really took down the sky ride, do you think the park would be "devastated?" Now don't get me wrong, I think it is a great ride that should not be removed for any reason, but if they did, do you really think it'd devastate the park? I'm pretty sure people would still flock to Great Adventure without the Skyride. You'd probably find some upset guests who might file a complaint about it here and there, and of course it'd tick off a lot of the hardcore fans like us, but would it devastate the park? I highly doubt it. Most don't appreciate a ride like that's historical value. HOWEVER should the park remove a ride like Nitro, then yes, I think it may devastate the park. You'd probably find some guests who would almost get violent after learning they paid whatever dollar amount to get in only to realize a ride like Nitro was missing. That would stir the pot and shake things up, that would possibly lower attendance significantly. However the public's response to the removal of rides in the past hasn't always been ignored; if I recall correctly the Balin's Jungleland rides were brought back one season after a slew of complaints from families.

Really its a case of hurting the park (in attendance) versus hurting the atmosphere/character of the park. Losing any of the big three coasters (Ka, El Toro or Nitro) without replacing them with something better would hurt attendance. Losing the Big Wheel, Runaway Train or the Skyride would further hurt the feel and character of the park overall. Yes, it could go on without them, but it would lose more of what made it "Great Adventure".

• Like 1

It's so annoying because the biggest blow to the park was the removal of all those flat rides that added that little extra something to the park. Now when I need a break from riding coasters all day I really have no other options except for mildly thrilling( if you can even call them that) or kiddie rides. Snore.......ZZZZ

The only kiddie rides with a height limit are those where anyone can't ride if they are over 54" even if they have a kid with them (except the play area in LTSP). Off the top of my head that includes everything in Safari Kids except the car ride and the stage coach ride in BBNP. I'm glad they don't have the maximum height limits for most of the kiddie rides, especially because of tall kids who may not be ready for the larger rides or coasters and still want to be able to ride the rides in LTSP and almost everything in BBNP. Not to mention, I'd hate not to be able to ride Blackbeard's anymore too even though I guess it's technically a family ride and not a kiddie ride.

It can be annoying when rides have a height limit where you have to ride with a kid when the ride is more of a family ride rather than kiddie ride (like the monorail in Planet Snoopy in Dorney which is the only ride in Planet Snoopy I am interested in trying and the only one that has a rule of anyone over 54" must have a kid with them to ride in the entire ride side of the park).

Edited by Yoshi

• 1 month later...

I would have to say the most devastating ride removal would be all of the remaining original park rides. I really hope they try to maintain the parachutes for them to stay for a while, its basically one of a kind ride now and that's a reason alone right there!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'll be really sad if Rolling Thunder goes. The park needs to strike a balance between new attractions and preserving the past. I still miss Scream Machine, it was more than just a roller coaster to me it was an integral part of Great Adventure. I didn't even have to ride it (although I always did) but just seeing it there would bring back a flood of happy memories from childhood. It was comforting having it there. Losing the Tee-pee hit me the same way. It didn't matter if no one ever shopped in it. The Tee-pee was Great Adventure. If I go to the Magic Kingdom I expect to see the castle, if I go to GA I want my Super Tee-pee.

I was surprised how much I missed Freefall when they took it down.

I never actually ride the Sky Ride but the fact that there are so few of them left makes me want to preserve it.

The Log Flume is the only other ride that is really irreplaceable for me. It's another one of those rides that is more than just an attraction it is part of the soul of Great Adventure.

For the general public, I personally think Kingda Ka. Most people go to the park to ride Ka. But for us (park followers), any of the original rides or classic rides that have been at the park for a long time. We see them as icons at the park. I really don't know why (unless maitnence issues) the park would remove them.

Its a little bit of all of those. Von Roll went out of business (although there are other manufacturers), there are always "incidents" with skyrides where wind stops them and leaves guests stranded for periods of time as well as problems with guests throwing or dropping things form them onto other guests. On top of that, the maintenance is fairly intense with cables requiring replacement every few years which is a big, expensive effort.

• 1 month later...

I think removing Kingda Ka would be the worst. Many people come to ride it. I once met someone from Washington that said she came to Great Adventure just to ride Kingda Ka. Also Kingda Ka gave me a lot of memories (and still does). Every time I go to Six Flags we always try to spot the top of Kingda Ka while driving there. Also my dad gets motion sickness and Kingda Ka is such a short ride that that's the only ride he won't get dizzy on and throw up from. Tearing it down would make me cry.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest Moonracker7

I think either the mine train or Kinda ka would be a divesting blow to the park. the mine train coaster is first but a few days younger than the big wheel because the west was not complete on 7/1/74 and the other coaster ran only that fall and also the fort and surrounding area would be very bland. kinda ka is probably mournful because they would kill 2 birds with 1 stone...bird 2 meaning ZDOD.

Yeah Six Flags probably sees Ka as a necessary evil now since it probably is one of the hardest rides in the chain to maintain but it's way too popular to remove. The new management probably wouldn't have put in Ka but since it's already there and is a great and popular ride there's no way it's going anywhere.