VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Historic Mysteries in Other Theme Parks

GAcoaster

I find it interesting that in EVERY park there are mysteries including the big parks like Disneyland and Disney World, even though those parks have been so well documented over the years with millions of pictures and devotees.

I just came across an interesting article about a "lost turret" that was part of the Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland which was only recently rediscovered when the new Fantasy Faire area was built. Read about it and see pictures here. Apparently it was obscured by trees for so long people just forgot about it and while all of the other parts of the castle have been updated, the turret still has the color scheme of 40 years ago.

Here's a couple of pictures to show how/why it was lost for so long:

mc113011h.jpg

mc113011g.jpg

Trees can take over areas quicker than most people realize.

I posted this before, but here is a weird version of Hershey's Chocolate World that only lasted one year in 1988!

Edited by The Master

• 3 months later...

I have another one, why was the wave machine for Dorney's Wildwater River disabled? Even on their website they state it was the first ever lazy river ride that was constructed with its own wave machine. This is why it has such unusually high walls for a lazy river, yet they have not operated the waves in years.

a56f13976593321f9f296743e29f3dd3.jpg

wildwater_river_3.jpg

wildwater_river.jpgwildwater_river_2.jpg

In the last two pictures you can see the unusually high walls for the old wave machine of the Wildwater River which is not a very lazy, lazy river!

Edited by The Master

• 7 months later...
Guest Moonracker7

There is an abandoned pavilion at epcot and I want know more about it but RPG(YouTube) say it was similar to the land pavilion and it had attractions based on the human body but I want specific info on each attraction in the building.

It was Wonders of Life I think. By the time I was old enough to remember going to Disney World it was only open during extremely crowded times. The only attraction I remember anything about was something called Body Wars that was supposed to be some sort of simulator.

I remember Wonders of Life, it was a cool pavilion. The main attraction was Body Wars, a sim ride very much like Star Tours, even the sim cabins were the same. You were miniaturized and teleported into a human body like Fantasic Voyage. Of course things go wrong and you have to "break every rule in the book" traveling through the heat and brain to get back.

Then there was Cranium Command, a show that was a humorous presentation on the importance of the human brain. The main show is presented in a theater which is designed to represent the inside of a human head; the outside world is seen on video displays where the eyes would be. The preshow consists of an animated segment featuring General Knowledge briefing his "Cranium Commando" troops on their mission: to pilot human brains and keep the people they're in out of trouble. A bumbling little soldier named Buzzy has been given one of the most difficult missions of all: piloting a twelve-year-old boy. At the end of the preshow, General Knowledge asks the guests, "Where do you think you are, Disney World?!", and in the same preshow, calls the recruits "Minnie Mouse meatheads. In the main show an audio animatronic of Buzzy pilots the 12 year old's brain with getting input from other parts of the body. Such as the logical Left Brain played by Charles Grodin, the wacky Right Brain played by Jon Lovitz, the Stomach by George Wendt, the Adrenal Gland by Bobcat Goldthwait, and and the heart's Right and Left Ventricles by Dana Carvey and Kevin Nealon reprising their Hans and Franz roles from SNL. The Hypothalamus which regulates autonomic bodily functions, is represented via Audio-Animatronics as a robot.

The next attraction was The Making of Me a 1989 film about conception and birth starring Martin Short.

There was also Goofy About Health, a multimedia show about living healthy starring Goofy.

Stationary bicycles with a television attached. The faster riders pedaled, the faster the video played.

There was also a interactive playground called Sensory Funhouse.

Edited by The Master

• 2 weeks later...

Why was the kiddie slide at the Lollipop Lagoon in Wild Water Kingdom, shut down, and covered with mulch? I don't really see a reason why it was shut down, never heard of any reason either.

Edited by The Master

The kiddie version of Riptide Run or was it a different slide?

For Wonders of Life, I was at Epcot the last week of December 2006 which was the last time it was open (I think it closed for good on January 1st or 2nd, 2007) and it was surprising to see it in the condition it was in. The only things open were Body Wars, Cranium Command and The Making of Me. Body Wars had mold and dirt in the ceiling tiles and it was so unpopular that I was the only person in the entire queue until I got to the loading area where I saw 5 people waiting. Many of the activities in the main area were closed off, those bikes that showed videos when you pedaled were covered with trashbags and the few things open in the Sensory Funhouse weren't working properly. It was very "un Disney like" to see the building open in that condition.Even when I returned to Epcot a few days later I think on December 28th, the park was jammed with Test Track having a 3 hour standby wait, Mission Space was close to 2 hours, Body Wars had a posted wait of 20 minutes.

I'd like to see it re-open since Epcot really needs more rides, but I know that is unlikely. It would have been even better to see Wonders of Life close in the late 90's, then they could have built Mission Space there and kept Horizons which is probably my most missed attraction in all of WDW.

Yes I was talking about the Kiddie version of Riptide Run, through it was a long chute and not a series of pools. I think it had a different name when I rode it as a kid but can't remember what it was.

Mold on the ceiling is a sure sign of roof leaks. There is a Horizons fan site where former ride ops from Horizons final years talked about it's roof was allowed to leak since Disney didn't want to spend the money to repair the building. The maintenance catwalks above the ride track were covered in fallen disintegrating ceiling tile pieces from all the leaks. I can see Disney also letting Wonders of Life's roof leak rather than repair it too. Epcot has long been a victim of everything wrong with Disney's corporate politics.

Edited by The Master

• 1 month later...
Guest Moonracker7

Well Walt's epcot would not make sense in todays world, I see Disney world owned by six flags and Disney land owned by cedar because in the 80's I think they had MM but not any holdings in Florida, if so briefly with the closet theme park maybe sea world but most likely Bush gardens or SFOG.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is another mystery from EPCOT center. Why was the Viking ship playground removed from Norway? It only lasted 10 years from 1998 to 2008.

http://www.lostepcot.com/vikingship.html

vikingboat.jpg

vikingboatseesaw.jpg

vikingboathead.jpg

vikingboatparts.jpg

Edited by The Master

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...