VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Houdini's Great Escape

CycloneMan

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest warnerleroy

If you noticed, the themed elements of Houdini have been partially removed between 2006-2007. In 2007, they no longer showed the key hologram in the mirror that Houdini used"to lock you in". Also the crystal ball with Houdini's head didn't light up, but still, the level of theming with all the props was AMAZING!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

soooooo, I dont get why thats importent. Its closedd for now and the sign is removed, I've heard that its gone come off season, and I have you and GAcoaster saying or should I say dropping hints it will make a comeback for fright fest. I dont know what to believe really, I just want to know everything now. As if I could have that happen..lol.

^Well, the park never wanted to close Houdini. In fact, they are fighting for it. Corprate wanted it closed, because they felt it was a waste of money to operate. The park does want it open though, so it might end up opening this year! Besides, they did get new signs for it this year, that were taken down before opening weekend.

IMG_3297mod.jpg

If you noticed, the themed elements of Houdini have been partially removed between 2006-2007. In 2007, they no longer showed the key hologram in the mirror that Houdini used"to lock you in". Also the crystal ball with Houdini's head didn't light up, but still, the level of theming with all the props was AMAZING!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

It happens every year, early in the season most of Houdini's props are working but as the season drags on more and more props break down and usually are not working until the next spring. The crystal ball usually only lasts the first two months of the season before it breaks. It always seemed to me that GAdv has had a hard time keeping Houndini's props running. But I still hope that Houdini will reopen.

Edited by The Master

That is very interesting, not bashing what you are saying but how do you know they are fighting for it? I want this open, but I need solid proof, what you gave me gave me some more hope. =]

I'm just saying what I've been told by people in management

As I have learned since joining up here, most of the guys on this site are pretty clued into how things at the park are going that most of us aren't aware of. So I would say if you see it coming from some of the guys that have been around a pretty long time, you can probably accept it as there is a good chance its happening because they don't tend to speculate more than would be normal with information they have!

I really think those signs being out there to begin the season was a huge buster for most of us because I believe they were up when you guys were invited to your pre-season walkthrough tour of the park. I know we all figured that with the new signage on the ride, we would be able to walk in opening day and take a spin on Houdinin. Now that was a joke I ddn't laugh at :(

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing has popped up that I have heard of. Considering there is now a character meeting area right outside, it seems they have made their plans for the entrance at least for now. I'm betting on nothing new happening with it until the off-season when the park will have to make a decision on what to do with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Houdini has ALWAYS been one of my favorites. I rode it a lot with my younger brother before he did "big kid" rides. It grew on me 'cause of the theatrical atmosphere and all the elaborate thematic elements. It really is a cool illusion if you think about it. After a while, it just because fun to watch the reactions of all the first timers! And to see what was broken this time. My brother and I can totally recite the pre-show, by the way. ;-) It really was a shame to see things break down so much on that ride. Like the "chinese water torture chamber" that bubbled with no water in it, the candelabra that made a not so smooth trip across the mantle, the 3-5 different projectors/screens we watched the movie on, etc. Not to mention the fact that soundtrack in the main room was inconsistent. Sometimes you would hear Houdini, sometimes you wouldn't. Such a great ride that deserved more upkeep than it got. Although I guess with all that rotating, things are bound to get bunched up and break. I would love to see some of the equipment that powers all that!

Anyway, long live Houdini's Great Escape!

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I guess we all know this by now, but if we don't, Houdini is officially closed. The signs are taken down, and all decoration except for the signs on the side of the house advertising Houdini.

There is a Henna Tattoo stand in front of the building, and Mr. Six takes pictures in front of the house. So now I guess all it is now is Mr. Six's house. The good thing is - they haven't completely removed it, so it could open for 2010, as long as they're still taking good care of it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

From Screamscape:

Park News - (9/30/09) Screamscape has been informed that Kings Dominion has also confirmed that Scooby Doo will be coming out of the park’s dark ride for the 2010 season. The ride will remain open, just all the Scooby Doo themeing will be removed.

This opens up some interesting possibilities...