VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Houdini's Great Escape

CycloneMan

Once again, the rumors have been circulating about an other ride closure, this time Houdini's Great Escape! If this is true, I am very saddened by this, being this was my favorite attraction at SFGAv. What do you guys think?'

-Dainan "Should we start a petition :P " Rafferty

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt this is going to be removed. The biggest strike against Houdini has been its capacity and that has been primarily caused by inadequate staffing. Fully staffed and properly operated Houdini can push through over 1300 guests per hour. As of Thursday morning this ride was not on the Park's list of removals. It seems like fear is setting in and we will probably hear a lot of rides hitting "the rumor list".

I just heard they were taking out The Dark Knight Coaster! :P

• 1 month later...

Perhaps they will be dousing riders of the Buccaneer this year as the ride rocks back and forth for that good ole life on the high seas feel :) lol

I'm just happy Houdini is still there to allow for another attraction that takes you out of the sun for a brief period.

Edited by JetsDevs4Lyf

I never even heard of the Houdini ride until I found this forum. What exactly is it? Not another "Star Tours" type simulator I hope.

I never even heard of the Houdini ride until I found this forum. What exactly is it? Not another "Star Tours" type simulator I hope.

It's nothing like Star Tours! It is a Vekoma Mad House ride and fairly unique in the United States.

The attraction is more of an illusion than a ride although you do actually move. Here's a link to Vekoma's page on the style of ride.

Basics of the ride have you enter Houdini's Mansion to a little preshow in which Houdini's spirit is brought back from the other side. Enter a large room in which Houdini's spirit has been captured. You are locked into you seat (basically four long benches two running the length of each side of the room) and Houdini tells you he is going to perform his greatest illusion to date. The ride begins here you begin a swift rocking feeling which increases until it looks as though the benches you are sitting in are spinning a full 360 degrees vertically around the room. I do believe this is the basics of the ride, if anyone else can explain it more thoroughly or clarify anything I may have misstated feel free to as I am going from memory as i did not ride this attraction after about July of last season.

Basics of the ride have you enter Houdini's Mansion to a little preshow in which Houdini's spirit is brought back from the other side. Enter a large room in which Houdini's spirit has been captured. You are locked into you seat (basically four long benches two running the length of each side of the room) and Houdini tells you he is going to perform his greatest illusion to date. The ride begins here you begin a swift rocking feeling which increases until it looks as though the benches you are sitting in are spinning a full 360 degrees vertically around the room. I do believe this is the basics of the ride, if anyone else can explain it more thoroughly or clarify anything I may have misstated feel free to as I am going from memory as i did not ride this attraction after about July of last season.

Message forwarded for Mr. Houdini:

houdini.jpg

I remember the ride back in 1999. What sticks out most is the lap bars, and how hard they slammed down!

-Dainan "And the ragtime music during the film in the pre-show" Rafferty

Last summer I rode Houidini while the "house lights" were accidentally left on in the building (the building surrounding the ride cabin). We were able to see all the behind the scenes stuff through the skylight as it spun around our seats. I always thought that the big Houidini mural may have still been on the ceiling and just not illuminated however it was clear to see that in fact it has been removed.

Last summer I rode Houidini while the "house lights" were accidentally left on in the building (the building surrounding the ride cabin). We were able to see all the behind the scenes stuff through the skylight as it spun around our seats. I always thought that the big Houidini mural may have still been on the ceiling and just not illuminated however it was clear to see that in fact it has been removed.

As did we. It was very nausiating with the light change when the cieling would dissapear. Though it was cool to ride it with the show lights on!

I have rode Houdini a few times with the work lights on, and it does seem the big Houdini image has been removed. It was only in the ride during it's first year 1999. Back then the ride had a very different plot, there was no Margery during the preshow, only Houdini which they protrayed having turned evil or something like that. His big image would light up in the skylight, then it would morph in to a scary looking version of the image. The image of him that lights up over the fireplace in the preshow is the sme image (but smaller) that they once used in the skylight.

Edited by The Master

What I found to be interesting is that Houdini's isn't listed in the new park map book being handed out at the park yet they updated the ride signage a few weeks ago. The decision to leave it out of the map book had to be made a while ago. I wonder if this too was a last minute decision but they originally planned to not operate it and may have been reconsidering. Just some thoughts...

Pete

Exactly like that was the first thing that I noticed after looking at the locked up gate. If they are going to shut it down they could let us know ahead of time. And if they are rehabbing it or something that's fine but it would have been nice to have a heads up about it. I know quite a few people we saw were headed towards it before onviously being turned away.