VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Hurricane Harbor's 2014 Operating Schedule

I would like to see them try to be open past Labor Day. The weekend of the 6th and 7th should still be warm enough (and probably the weekend after that too) and it wouldn't conflict with Fright Fest.

It used to be open every day in June and for a few weekends after Labor Day. I remember going to HH's day of the season on Sept 25th when it was 85 degrees. All the local parks just go into Halloween mode right after Labor day and shortchanging the swimming season. At least most of the other waterparks are open every day in June. WWK and Hershey's Boardwalk used to be open until late Sept too, but not in recent years. They all cut their seasons short.

Edited by The Master

Between staffing issue and statistical analysis of crowds/weather they must have decided this was the most feasible way of running the waterpark. There have been many years where most of June was too cold to attract anyone to the waterpark and they had to put up banners and signs advertising the water was heated trying to get anyone to go. The challenge of getting certified lifeguards and then keeping them into September must just be too great to make it worth their while. And, when they can only open some of the slides or part of the lazy river because of staff issues in the shoulder seasons, maybe it's just better/easier to not have to deal with the complaints that the park is only half open.

I know in my condo development how hard it has been to find at least one person/lifeguard to be at our pool while teachers and students are still in school. I can't imagine how hard it would have to be to find enough people to man an entire water park during that same time and the operating days appear to reflect the schools still open schedule.

There seems to be some psychological switch in people's heads that turns off the need for water after Labor Day. I always went to Hurricane Harbor on the weekends when it was open past Labor Day and the place was empty.

That made it some of the best times to go. Last year in Aug, when the weather was unusually cool for that month and HH was alot less crowded than normal. We get cool snaps in July and Aug too, not just June. People are wimps. What really gets me is that HH isn't open on weekdays in June when the other local waterparks are open everyday in June and GADV being the most crowded of the local parks. I noticed places that don't have early Halloween events keep their waterparks open a little longer than the places that push Halloween right after Labor day.

Then again this is the same company that uses bogus pool chemicals that have bad side effects to reduce the amount real sanitizers they should be using.

Edited by The Master

Hershey, Dorney, Morey's and Breakwater Beach are open everyday until Labor day, HH itself used to be as well so there is a way. I think SF is just really bad at operating water parks. Both the GADV HH and SFA HH are two of the worst ran water parks. Morey's is about the most well ran waterpark in the local area.