VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Transforming GADV Into a Resort

Nitro1118

One possible solution would be to build a hotel in the Hurricane Harbor parking lot and then build a dome over the waterpark itself;if they start now it could be ready by Great Adv.'s 45th anniversary in 2019.

Indoor and weather protected water parks do seem to be catching on, especially in the northern climates. The Great Wolf Lodge chain must be doing well if they can charge upwards of $400 a night for a hotel room! :Wow:

If Great Adv. converted Hurricane Harbor into an indoor park with hotel they could do all sorts of things during the off season:showing movies in the wave pool,building a swim-up bar for adults,special packages for New Year's,Valentine's Day and Spring Break.

I don't know if Six Flags wants to spend $980,100,000 to enclose Hurricane Harbor

How I came up with that:

Acres of Hurricane Harbor- 45

45 Acres is how many square feet- 1,960,200

Average cost to cover a square foot- $500

1,960,200 x $500= The Number I said.

I don't know if Six Flags wants to spend $980,100,000 to enclose Hurricane Harbor

How I came up with that:

Do you work for the Congressional Budget Office? :Skull5: LOL :)

If you have ever been to Lancaster County or Hershey PA, they are favorite multi-day destinations because of the number of hotels, campgrounds, theaters, restaurants and other tourist traps they have out there. Obviously it isn't the same exact situation, but I think SFGA could learn something from them, instead of just building the next gigantic coaster and jacking up its prices to pay for it.

For example you can buy a combo Ticket for Hershey and Dutch wonderland. Also a single day pas for Hershey is only about $18, great deal if you ask me. I have been making that trip the last 2 years and don't plan on stopping lol

Lancaster is great for a weekend trip, You have Hershey Park, Dutch Wonderland, Strasburg Rail Road Lancaster Brewery just to name a few things to do and all with in an hour of each other (Hershey Park being the of man out as far as distance from everything else

Arent there already two enclosed water parks with relatively close distance to GA. Poth in the Poconos. You have Great Wolf and that new African themed one. Not sure how well HH would do if it was year round

There are also two within a half hour drive - Sahara Sam's in Cherry Hill and one other but I forget exactly where.

Edited by dougdrummer

How I came up with that:

Where did you get the $500?

There are also two within a half hour drive - Sahara Sam's in Cherry Hill and one other but I forget exactly where.

The other one is Co Co Keys in Mt. Laurel off the NJ Turnpike on Route 73. That place also has the Hotel ML attached making it a resort park, but it's not as big as the Great Wolf Lodge or Kalahari Water Resort in the Poconos.

Arent there already two enclosed water parks with relatively close distance to GA. Poth in the Poconos. You have Great Wolf and that new African themed one. Not sure how well HH would do if it was year round

If you're referring to ones in New Jersey, Co Co Keys in Mt. Laurel and Sahara Sam's in West Berlin both off Route 73 are about an hour away from Great Adventure. The former has a hotel but the latter does not.

The other one is Co Co Keys in Mt. Laurel off the NJ Turnpike on Route 73. That place also has the Hotel ML attached making it a resort park, but it's not as big as the Great Wolf Lodge or Kalahari Water Resort in the Poconos.

That's the one I was thinking of - thanks!

If you're referring to ones in New Jersey, Co Co Keys in Mt. Laurel and Sahara Sam's in West Berlin both off Route 73 are about an hour away from Great Adventure. The former has a hotel but the latter does not.

Nope, was referring to the ones in PA that's why I said Poconos, as the one you mentioned, GWL and KWR

Wisconsin Dells and Sandusky, Ohio would like a word with you.

Wisconsin Dells Alone

- Great Wolf Lodge (2 I Believe)

- Wilderness (3 Indoor)

- Kalahari (1)

- Chula Vista (1)

- Polynesian (1)

- Mt. Olympus (1)

- Raintree Resort (1)

And That's just the major ones, Excluded are the ones with only slides/pools

Sandusky has 5

- Great Wolf Lodge (1)

- Kalahari (1)

- Castaway Bay (1)

- Rain Water Park (1)

- Maui Sands (1)

How I came up with the $500

"Some properties can cost between $150,000 and $300,000 per available room when indoor waterpark costs are included. The indoor waterpark itself may cost from$200 to $500 per square foot of net indoor waterpark space."

http://ishc.com/wp-content/uploads/FinancingWaterparks1.pdf

However it was listed in 2006, So probably more.

Edited by Coaster Justin

• 2 weeks later...