VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Holiday World 2015

jdc12192

Tonight,at 9:30(EST) Holiday World will be announcing,and streaming their announcement for the new addition for 2015. For the past 66 days, they have had an online campaign, '66 Days At Sea' , in which they dropped hints daily along with some Blog Posts. You can also video the construction cam here.

Paula, the one who has been writing the post for 66 days said once everything is announced, she is going to break down each post and explain how they relate to the ride.

Some notes that have been brought up from the campaign and blog posts:

-It will be 'The first of its kind'

-VP said it will Include 'Lots of steel'

-Cost of 22million

-Comments such as 'Upside down' and 'When you find out you're going to flip' were made.

Most guesses from the rumor mill are that it will be a B&M. Possible Flyer,winged, winged flyer, launched coaster.

Any guesses before it is announced?

Edited by jdc12192

Just announced- "Thunderbird" B&M launched wing coaster!

DESCRIPTION:

Thunderbird is the nation’s first launched wing coaster. It is Holiday World’s first major
steel roller coaster, with a 0-60mph launch in 3.5 seconds, followed by multiple inversions – including a
14-story Immelmann loop, Zero-g roll, barrel roll, and loop. Continuing Holiday World’s tradition of sending roller coasters through thickly wooded and hilly terrain, Thunderbird at first soars and loops high in the air and then hugs the ground, surprising riders with rapid-fire “near misses” such as keyholes, themed elements, other rides, trees, and even the ground.

TRACK LENGTH: 3,035 feet

RIDE HEIGHT: 140 feet at Immelmann loop’s peak

RIDE ELEMENTS:

From start to finish:

Launch, using LSM technology
Immelmann loop
Loop
Horseshoe
Elevated Spiral
Zero-G roll
S curve
2 “headchopper” keyholes
Carousel
360 in-line twist (barrel roll)
2 Crossovers with The Voyage
SPEED: Thunderbird’s top speed is 60 miles per hour

RIDE TIME: 1 minute, 18 seconds (station to station)

RIDE VIDEO: http://HolidayWorld2015.com

TRAINS: Two trains, each with five four-person coaches

CAPACITY: 1,140 Guests per hour

HEIGHT LIMIT: Riders must be at least 52 inches tall

INVESTMENT: $22 million

RIDE DESIGNER: Bolliger & Mabillard (B&M), Switzerland

LEGEND: In 1620, as the Mayflower neared the end of its 66 days at sea, a mighty storm nearly capsized
the ship, taking it hundreds of miles off course. As passengers and crew feared all was lost, an immense bird appeared in the sky. The thunderbird, whose wings created the thunder and eyes flashed the lightning of the powerful storm, rescued the ship by launching it through the sky to the New World.
Edited by jdc12192

I'm very surprised to see a large steel coaster like this being added since I thought if they ever got a steel coaster (not counting Howler), it would be something tamer like a wild mouse or a spinner. It looks great and it's nice to see B&M finally have a launch coaster with a launch they created.

I like seeing that B&M was willing to try something new with the launch. The ride looks pretty cool with a mix of inversions and other stuff too. I just hope they run all the trains on it all the time with the trains being only 5 cars long.

Interesting it only has 5 car trains for 20 riders per cycle. I wonder if that is a weight thing for the launch or just HW cutting costs with a short train?

Holiday World probably did it for the long run, considering the crowds don't get crazy until the weekends the line will slim down in a couple of years time.

There is also the reliability issues, both downtime and rides needing modifications (Shoot The Rapids, Maverick, the impulse coasters etc.) I know enthusiasts like Intamin and they do make some great coasters but if I owned a park and was looking to add a major coaster, I'd go with B&M over Intamin every time since you know you aren't going to have many problems compared to Intamin.

It looks like parks are agreeing with that at least in the US, the only Intamin coaster added in the US since 2012 is Skyrush. B&M has built Banshee, GateKeeper, X-Flight, Wild Eagle and now Thunderbird in that same time.

Edited by Yoshi

There is also the reliability issues, both downtime and rides needing modifications (Shoot The Rapids, Maverick, the impulse coasters etc.) I know enthusiasts like Intamin and they do make some great coasters but if I owned a park and was looking to add a major coaster, I'd go with B&M over Intamin every time since you know you aren't going to have many problems compared to Intamin.

It looks like parks are agreeing with that at least in the US, the only Intamin coaster added in the US since 2012 is Skyrush. B&M has built Banshee, GateKeeper, X-Flight, Wild Eagle and now Thunderbird in that same time.

That is also true.

I'm really wondering if B&M is going to tackle the launch system themselves because they have stated that they don't like to manufacture launch coasters because of the unreliable issues above. Along with their only launch coaster having the launch installed by a different company.

Edited by Coasterharrison'98

• 4 months later...