VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

New for 2015 at Great Adventure - El Diablo (formerly Looping Dragon)

29yrswithaGApass

^Yeah that's what I meant :D . They'll complain but ultimately they'll ride it. It's really not a bad flat to be honest. It actually looks cool in the park's skyline.

• 3 weeks later...

They will be using Rolling Thunder's old queue so don't expect anything too exciting other than a rectangle of queue bars. But I hear there may be something that is an eyecatcher!

We're you referring to the flames they just added to the que or is there still more to come?

Yeah, it's "official". Passholder Preview is the 14th & 15th, and the 16th it opens to the public. Media Days are usually NEVER on a Sat. Media day will prob be the 14th before the Park opens at 10:30, if how they always do them is an indication. (i've been to a few) If they are doing a "b-roll" shoot, it will most likely be this week.

Edited by Railer

I seriously doubt it will have "Flames", but the Eye's do look to be lit up, and that looks like a Power Line coming off the front of it. My guess is it will either be in the little "Mulch Bed" they made on the front, rt. side (by Toro's exit) so Guest's can have a pic with it. Or it will be between the Ride, and the Exit path inside the fenced off ride area. I would rather have it inside the fenced area, can't trust Guest's not to vandalize it.

After more thought on the subject, i like the fact that they are calling this the Park's 13th Coaster. It 100% fits the concept of the ride and name. Just like the "Leeds" Legend that the Jersey Devil is the 13th child of the Leeds Family that was "cursed" into becoming the "Jersey Devil". Our Larson Super Loop is cursed into becoming "El Diablo", the 13th Coaster in the Park. They should use it in the marketing during F Fest. And the "casual" park guest really has no clue about the true coaster count in the park, and really don't even care. But they are doing a great job with the level of themeing they are giving a classic ride that's been around for a long time. It will be a really good fit in the Plaza, especially after the Sport's Bar opens up hopefully with a theme that fits well.

^ It was also "cursed" into being called a coaster! ;)

Anyway I'm impressed with the theming they're giving this ride. Before I wasn't even going to try it but between the location/name change, the ride itself looking bigger than I thought it would, and the cool theming I'll ride it. It's a much stronger addition to the park now.

Also what's that about a sports bar?

Edited by RC98

I think SF did a fantastic job integrating this ride into the park. I'm glad they didn't just plop it down and call it a day, but they actually took their time and made it fit. I'm certainly going to ride it when it opens!

See a little theming goes a long way. Maybe if we do the same to some of our current rides without any type of theme elements it could really change the atmosphere of that ride.

Still wishing for a RMC custom in the woods called the Jersey Devil. I don't wanna say El Diablo is a waste of a good folklore, and it's come a long way from being known as the Looping Dragon.

Also what's that about a sports bar?

"Macho Nacho" (La Cantina) is being converted into a Sport's Bar. That's the work that's being done, and why it's fenced off. And from the look's of the work being done, it is going to be alot bigger. But i am hoping for a very cool, "Day Of The Dead" style theme that would be perfect for the whole section now. It will transform the whole area, and give it a very cool "vibe". These are from last Fri. Tomorrow i will be back early to see where everything is at now.

gallery_208_401_387197.jpggallery_208_401_307056.jpg

Edited by Railer

I guess I'm a naysayer, but I can't agree with the points on theming or integration into the park. All we've seen on that front are:

1) Cardboard-cutout, clipart flames

2) A nicer-than-usual sign.

A sign is a sign, and to call it theming is a stretch (especially when it's essentially the only theme element associated with the ride. I'm not saying the ride itself doesn't (or does) look bad in the park (I haven't seen it yet), but I'm not sure how much credit the folks behind it deserve, beyond just getting a nice sign.