VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Retro Trip Report: End of the Season 1974

29yrswithaGApass

Amazing that a rope/chain blocked people from entering the aqua stadium when now we have locks and gates and sometimes that doesn't even stop people.

Is that yellow thing on the side of the wall a door or something else? If its a door its now gone and not even sure where it would've led to.

Is that yellow thing on the side of the wall a door or something else? If its a door its now gone and not even sure where it would've led to.

That is a doorway. The entrance was redone and the stadium rethemed as Fort Independence in 1995 . Here is a photo of the doors in 1994 just before the remodel.

19940075.jpg

It has been discussed in other topics how the park had a problem with light bulbs being stolen from the rides. Guests would unscrew them exposing the empty sockets which was dangerous. I find the photo below interesting. I wonder if the light bulbs (and I would assume domes) were removed by guests or by the park getting ready for the winter.

StatBook_SL0027_OCT74%20copy.jpg

Some clarification points here--

If it wasn't nailed down, or welded to something permanent guests often tried to take it with them !! Breaking off colored woodwork from a ride or uprooting a plant happened often, A favorite target were the "specie identifier signs" that Landscape put out in the flower beds to let folks know what they were looking at..those disappeared daily, usually in the evening as guests headed for the exits.

The Parking lot crew had to be alert to guests loading their cars with traffic cones, We caught one guy with 15 of them in his back seat on the exit road one night.

Vandalism of the pay phones, especially the ones in the Western section was an almost daily event on weekends.

BTW- RE the doors in the Dolphin Pool tunnel, that was the pump and chemical storage "work room" The water in the pool had to be maintained at a certain temperature and chemical balance for the animal safety, and the water treatment people used their magic in that 'Lab' area adjusting the various recipes and heating elements to keep the critters safe.

During the Operating season Security had an office assigned to the Dolphin arena overnite to prevent intrusion by other people, but once the park closed that responsibility was lifted when the animals were removed for the winter.

Edited by mayor al

The pictures of cigarette machines are kind of fun for me. I remember in the 70's when my dad wanted cigarettes I would want to put the coins in the slot and pull the handle. Sometimes those handles were hard to pull. At that time for 4 and then 5 quarters you would get a pack of cigarettes and a book of matches. I guess if you were getting a pack of cigarettes from the machine for $1.50 the store price was probably 75 cents.

I don't know what a pack costs but Google says that in NJ a pack is $8.55. I don't know how smokers can afford it. A pack a day, 365 days, $3,120.75 in cigarettes a year. I think my dad was a 2 pack a day guy back then.

It was only a fun memory in that I get to think of dad. Smoking's bad. mmkay.

They deserved it. Not only was there a large expansion requiring a lot of new landscaping projects,, but the Winter of 74-75 was pretty harsh with a lot of weather damage to the already installed trees, plants, (and any facilities too)

I got a chuckle out of the comments about your recent "snow in the empty Park" photos showing bare streets and dusting of snow around the empty Park. I'll try to do an article about what it was like on a winter night shift when there was 18" of snow on the ground and walking in the Park to check buildings was a major effort. I'll put it together soon. I wish I still had the photos we shared back then of sledding down the Log Flume drop late at night when it was full of icy snow. On the mid-Shift in January and February, there would only be a dozen or so workers in the whole Park between Security , Fire, Safari, Water Treatment and maybe a Maint guy or two. (running a snow plow). That made for some interesting activities in the 'Wee Hours'....A lot of Food deliveries were made to Gate 1 over the course of those winter nights from Jackson and Cookstown Pizza and Sub stands.