VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Six Flags Great Adventure Now Powered by Solar Energy

Matt Kaiser

• 3 weeks later...

First off, I'd like to point out that you can't easily compare the amount of acres of solar panels over a parking lot to the amount of solar panels over a field.

At Rutgers, many of the parking lots on Livingston campus have solar panels. As you can see in the picture below, there is a lot of space not actually covered by solar panels, that would be covered in an open field. If they wanted the same power output from parking lot panels, they would probably easily need 150-200 acres of parking lot versus just 100 acres of open field. On top of this, the parking lots would need to be completely repaved before installing the panels as I assume it will be a LOT harder and more expensive to repave with the solar panel structures, inverters, wires, etc.

3a7PFzN.jpg

Secondly, the park got approval for the solar field in the Jackson Planning Board meeting on Monday.

IlmhyEB.png

Someone made a good point on Theme Park Review in the Great Adventure thread. The user said that in many cases, when any park or business is looking to improve or expand infrastructure, it is often because they are looking to grow or expand.

I'm not a big fan of the potential tree removal, but if the energy benefits make sense and it is a prerequisite to major growth, I'm all for it.

The user said that in many cases, when any park or business is looking to improve or expand infrastructure, it is often because they are looking to grow or expand.

I am sure the park is thinking ahead. The park is quoted in the proposal saying "they have the ability to project their costs for the next 20 years which would allow them to save money on electricity and develop other commercial ventures in accordance with the Master Plan."

I'm hoping that this goes well and they expand Solar Panels to other parks (SFGAm, SFOT, SFFT, SFMM, etc.)

Outside of using the parking lots the other parks don't have that much excess land for panels. The exceptions would be SF America (300 acres), SFGAm (30 acres), and SF St Louis (220 acres),

Im not for it. One because it means more tree removing. Unless GA agrees to reforest the park itself...by either moving mature trees or planting new ones, and replacing some of the grass areas with the park...I dont even want to know what this is doing to the lake itself. Im all for gorwth and development. But Im sure the NJEPA will have a say so as well....I belive that at this point the park needs to replace what ever they remove.. In order to retain the balance of the eco-system around the waterways on sight.

Outside of using the parking lots the other parks don't have that much excess land for panels. The exceptions would be SF America (300 acres), SFGAm (30 acres), and SF St Louis (220 acres),

Are you sure that 30 acres for SFGAm is current? Because I can not for the life of me figure out where SFGAm is hiding 30 acres of undeveloped land.

Im not for it. One because it means more tree removing. Unless GA agrees to reforest the park itself...by either moving mature trees or planting new ones, and replacing some of the grass areas with the park...I dont even want to know what this is doing to the lake itself. Im all for gorwth and development. But Im sure the NJEPA will have a say so as well....I belive that at this point the park needs to replace what ever they remove.. In order to retain the balance of the eco-system around the waterways on sight.

I completely agree with you. !00 acres of trees is a lot, there is no need to remove that many trees. Not only would it be doing what you said but I am sure there are lots of animals that have homes in those woods that will be destroyed.

In the latest Planning Board meeting notes, it says that they will be replanting trees over the next 5-7 years on Gadv property.

4. KDC Solar/Six Flags – Block 3201, Lots 15, 30 & P/O 11 – Reed Road – P/F Major site plan to include Minor Subdivision to consolidate lots and create new lot. Construct a Solar Generation Facility consisting of Solar Panels, Inverters, Transformers and a Substation.

Mr. Klee reads 2 part application.

1. Minor subdivision 131 parcel on Reed Road where panels will be located.

2. Site plan- conservation overlay zone impacts both valid DEP letter

Sibdivision will create conforming parcel. 125-130 acre parcel, put up panels, maintenance building, inverter facility, no traffic impact. Trees to be replanted over 5-7 years on Great Adventure property.

Mr. Shea calls up 4 representatives to be sworn in:

Tom Lynch (KDC Solar)

Rich Rosenburry (Maser Consultants)

Dr. W (Ecological services)

Tim Boyer (Six Flags)

Tom Lynch states he has been involved in 11 different locations mostly Middlesex county at Centra State Hospital. Solar panels ground mount generate 100% electric consumption for theme park and Water Park.

Tim Boyer states that since exploring solar opportunities there has been an increase in electric cost, compared to sister properties cost reduction.

Mr. Rosenburry gave credentials and provided his testimony

4 exhibits placed on the record:

A-1 Aerial Parcel Map Six Flags

A-2 Aerial Parcel Map color rendering solar

A-3 Dimension plan color rendering

A-4 color rendering of substation

They will be subdiving and consolidating 2 lots. They applied in November after LOI from DEP. Could not do a site visit because of weather. There are wetlands to the west of Solar panels, so there will be a 50 ft buffer. It will be remote, so unmanned. No traffic. All panels will be below 12 feet. There will be gate (A3) to allow maintenance vehicles. Low grow grass for the 1st year will be cut 1 time per month and once established only need to be cut 2-4 times per year. The lifespan of panels, they generally depreciate 1 % per year and could be in use indefinitely. If panels were no longer used site would be remediated back to original state. There will be a new driveway to smaller substation, no lighting needed.

Mr. Peters asks what the disturbance area is?

Applicant responds 94 acres.

Mr. Haring asks if property is secured?

Applicant responds with 7 ft fence, KDC is responsible for all fence enclosed.

Mr. Dolan asks if there is an out clause of the 25-year contract if newer technology arises?

Applicant states for the first 25 years no, after that it could be discussed.

Open public forum.

Close public forum.

Motion made by BRESSI / Haring. YES: Dolan, Longo, Russo, Flemming, Bressi, Haring, Riccardi, Hudak.

Isn't it a rule or 'law' that if the park removes any trees they have to replace them?? I feel like I've heard that somewhere.

I've also heard this. I've even heard that the "rule" may be something along the lines of planting 2 or 3 times the number of trees they remove. I could see it being just a rumor, though, as I don't know of any concrete evidence of it.

New Jerseys Largest Net-Metered Solar Project Planned for Six Flags Great Adventure

Worlds Largest Theme Park Takes Giant Leap Toward Reducing Its Carbon Footprint

JACKSON, NJ March 26, 2015 Six Flags Great Adventure, the worlds largest theme park, plans to take a giant step toward reducing its carbon footprint by partnering with KDC Solar LLC. Together they have introduced the states largest solar net metering project. KDC Solar will construct, own and operate the solar power system on Six Flags property.

As part of our ongoing commitment to conservation and eco-friendly initiatives, we intend to generate clean energy, said Park President John Fitzgerald. Solar power will significantly reduce our reliance on harmful fossil fuels.

KDC Solar estimates that construction will take 16 to 18 months, and that the solar facility will be operational in the second half of 2016.

As conservationists for the past 40 years, Six Flags Great Adventure has cared for more than 70 different species of animals, including some that are endangered and even extinct in the wild. The Jackson theme park recycles more than 60 percent of its annual waste, including manure, paper, plastic, wood and mixed garbage. The theme park eliminated the use of paper towels in favor of energy-efficient hand dryers, and is firmly committed to other energy-saving programs.

We are continually searching for new ways to operate more efficiently and enhance our role as good stewards of the environment, Fitzgerald said.

KDC Solar LLC

KDC Solar supplies commercial, industrials and governments with significantly lower long-term electric costs through solar power. KDC Solar is supported by an allocation of $225 million in equity from Diamond Castle Holdings, a New York-based private equity fund with more than $1.8 billion of committed capital under management. KDC Solar is committed to using clean solar energy to provide economic stimulus and jobs in New Jersey. It currently operates more than 50 megawatts of net-metered solar facilities at 11 different locations and is constructing and permitting 72 megawatts of solar projects at businesses and institutions throughout New Jersey. For more information, visit www.kdcsolar.com.

Source: Six Flags Great Adventure

Six Flags to cut down 18,000 trees to build NJ's largest solar farm

Theme park will replant 25,000 trees over 7 years

March 26, 2015 mycentraljersey.com

JACKSON – Six Flags Great Adventure plans to clear more than 18,000 trees to build a 90-acre solar farm capable of meeting virtually all of the theme park's electrical needs.

At 21.9 megawatts, the facility would be the largest of its kind in New Jersey, generating enough energy to power about 3,100 homes.

The ambitious project, which Bedminster-based KDC Solar LLC will construct, operate and own, is aimed at making Great Adventure the largest self-powered theme park in the U.S.

"We are continually searching for new ways to operate more efficiently and enhance our role as good stewards of the environment," the park's president, John Fitzgerald, said in a prepared statement.

"Solar power will significantly reduce our reliance on harmful fossil fuels," he said.

The township's planning board approved the project March 2.

Township Councilman Kenneth Bressi described the project as a "win-win" for Six Flags and Jackson. The facility won't generate any extra traffic, and once the property is developed it will be taxed at a higher rate, he noted.

"God knows what they're electric bill is, and what they're going to be saving annually," Bressi said. "They wouldn't be doing projects like this if they weren't going to around for a long while, so this is great for Great Adventure and for Jackson."

Six Flags and KDC Solar have pledged to replant 25,000 trees over a period of seven years. Most of the trees slated for removal are in "poor" or "very poor" condition, according to Six Flags spokeswoman Kristin Siebeneicher. A forester will oversee the replanting, she added.

The facility, located on a 134-acre site off Reed Road, east of the safari park, will take 16 to 18 months to construct. It is expected to be in operation sometime in the second half of 2016.

Overhead electrical lines will run from the solar farm site to a new substation along Route 537 and from there to the Hurricane Harbor water park.

On an annual basis, the solar facility will produce 98 percent of the theme park's current electric needs.

On cloudy days and at other times when the facility isn't generating enough electricity, the park will draw power from the electrical grid, explained Joseph Nimphius, a KDC Solar project manager.

Conversely, if the facility generates more power than the park needs, the surplus will go to the grid in exchange for a credit, he added.

KDC Solar recently began operating a similar, though much smaller, 6.3 megawatt, 26-acre solar farm that provides electricity for CentraState Medical Center in Freehold Township.

The site chosen by Six Flags was the only location on the property large enough for a project of this scale, Siebeneicher said.

"The parking lot was not suitable due to issues with operations and safety, legal restrictions, future development plans and the size of the parking lot," she said in an email. The company would not disclose the project's cost.

David Beavers, a solar power expert with Environment New Jersey, a statewide environmental group, said he was "thrilled" about the project.

"This is going to be the biggest installation in New Jersey, which is going to be a huge step in the right direction," he said.

Currently, the state's largest solar farm is a 19.9-megawatt facility in Tinton Falls, Beavers said.

At 21.9 megawatts, the new facility would generate more generate solar power than the city of Newark, he added.

The destruction of so many trees is a valid concern, Beavers said, because of the critical role forests play in reducing air pollution and mitigating climate change. But parking lot-based solar farms are far more costly to construct because of the steel piers used, he said.

"Hearing that they are going to be replanting those trees, it definitely sounds like it's going to a worthwhile initiative," Beavers said.

When I first saw '18,000 trees' I thought whoa that is a lot, but having traveled that road, and live near it, I remembered most of the trees look like they are dead or on their way there. Then ironically it was stated that the trees are in poor or very poor condition,which to me sounds like its a 'win' for the environment with not only more trees replanted, but healthy ones.

98% of the parks needs being met is a huge number, which means it will save the park a huge amount of money, which could lead to bigger/better future developments and improvements. Sounds like a win to me!

I wonder when construction will start? I drove on that road yesterday and today, and there were 'men at work' signs, but no men there, or working yesterday but today there was one truck with two guys there. Maybe they will also smooth or pave that road since its all dirt and holes.

• 2 weeks later...

START COMPLAINING!

" JACKSON – Two New Jersey environmental groups have come out against Six Flags Great Adventure's plans to cut down 18,000 trees for a 90-acre solar farm.
In addition, a spokesman for the state Department of Environmental Protection says the agency doesn't support the project, to be built and operated by Bedminster-based KDC Solar LLC, but acknowledges it has limited jurisdiction over the site.
"While New Jersey has become a national leader in developing solar power, the DEP does not believe that clearing a forest is the right way to go about it," DEP spokesman Larry Hajna said in an email.
"We expressed our concerns to Six Flags and KDC Solar, hoping they would consider other alternatives such as using previously developed areas for panels. They did not appear to be receptive to those ideas," he said.
The 21.9 megawatt facility would be the largest solar farm of its kind in New Jersey. Six Flags says it would provide enough electricity to meet 98 percent of the theme park's power needs.
But the "green energy" project would require the clearing of some 90 acres of forest, which the New Jersey Chapter of the Sierra Club and another group, Environment New Jersey, say would negate much of its environmental benefits.
"There's nothing 'green' about that," said Doug O'Malley, Environment New Jersey's director.
Six Flags has pledged to replant 25,000 trees over seven years, but Jeff Tittel, the Sierra Club chapter's director, says it will take 30 to 40 years before they grow into a mature forest.
Tittel says the solar farm site, off Reed Road, is home to nesting bald eagles and other endangered species. It also provides a critical buffer between the safari park and two important headwater streams for Barnegat Bay, he said.
Tittel said his club would like to help Six Flags come up with an alternative site. O'Malley said the facility could be built more responsibly over the theme park's vast parking lot, as several New Jersey universitities have done.
"We actually like the idea of them going green, but you shouldn't make a tradeoff between green energy or an environmentally sensitive forest," Tittel said.
"Green energy should complement the environment, not be used to destroy parts of the environment."
Six Flags says the 134-acre site is the only one on its property large enough to accommodate the facility. The company says it considered a parking lot-based system but determined it wasn't feasible.
A company spokeswoman, Kristin B. Siebeneicher, issued the following statement:
"We take very seriously our role as good stewards of the environment. The concerns raised by Mr. Tittel were the same concerns we had as we developed the project. All of those environmental concerns were addressed and mitigated in the final version of the plan as submitted to state and local authorities."
Jackson's Planning Board approved the plan on March 2. The New Jersey Board of Public Utilities also has approved the project.
The project also appears to have virtually all of the approvals it needs from the DEP.
"The vast majority of this area does not fall within DEP jurisdiction," Hajna noted.
The agency has issued a Letter of Interpretation, or impact statement, for the site of a new substation for the facility along Route 537, and is preparing a similar document for the solar farm site itself, Hajna said. The agency also has issued Flood Hazard Area and Riparian Zone verifications, and is still reviewing some ancillary permit applications for such things as road crossings and utility lines, he said.
In total, less than one-tenth of an acre of wetlands would be disturbed by the project, Hajna said. Six Flags expects the facility to be completed by the latter half of 2016."

http://www.app.com/story/news/local/2015/04/03/opposition-six-flags-solar-farm/25254111/

So they did consider putting the solar panels in the parking lot, it's a shame that didn't work out cause it is a good idea.

As for cutting the trees, I don't think cutting them down would be too much of an issue but the animals habitats that are ruined would, as they mentioned in the article.

I can understand the environmentalist's concerns, however its not like they are bull dozing the entire forest. The way I look at it, New Jersey has almost DOUBLED the amount of developed land since the 50's destroying a significant amount of forest's in New Jersey. There is still plenty of wooded land for all those animals to relocate their habitat. I just really hope that the 25,000 tree's they plan on replanting will go into parts of the park like Adventure Alley and the Safari to give it a more wooded atmosphere, and of course parts of the parking lots and possible bordering the park and parking lots would look very nice! ( Ex: Around Superman and Green Lantern and In front of Kingda Ka)