VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Gr.Adv.Debate #28: New Year's Eve at Great Adventure

New Year's Eve at Great Adventure  

25 members have voted

1. 1. If Great Adventure was open until midnight to ring in 2016, would you go to a New Year's Eve party at the park?

• Absolutely - give me my party hats and noise makers
    • Maybe - if it wasn't bitterly cold and I could stay awake that late
    • No Chance - I am not a party animal

I'm definitely considering it. Coasters on New Year's Eve? Sign me up! Unfortunately my birthday is a few days after closing day so I can't ride coasters on that day, but still pretty cool

• Like 1

Yes, I'd spend New Year's Eve at the park. It's been cool to be able to ride a coaster past midnight during Fright Fest and it would be a lot of fun to try to time it where you board the coaster at 11:58 or 11:59 and then while you are riding the year changes.

I'm definitely considering it. Coasters on New Year's Eve? Sign me up! Unfortunately my birthday is a few days after closing day so I can't ride coasters on that day, but still pretty cool

That is if the weather is warm enough for the coasters to operate safely. Most coasters are program to shut down at 40 to 35 degrees and new years can be much colder than that at midnight. Of course the park may push the limits of their coasters operational range which I have reservations if they do.

That is if the weather is warm enough for the coasters to operate safely. Most coasters are program to shut down at 40 to 35 degrees and new years can be much colder than that at midnight. Of course the park may push the limits of their coasters operational range which I have reservations if they do.

I've heard that some parks in Europe have managed to do that-operate coasters very early/late in the season-but they had to have maintenance people/crews constantly checking the temperature and wheel assemblies;from my recollection the coldness freezes the oil in the trains' undercarriage.

Cold temps causes oil and grease to thicken up. It is why in cold weather lighter weight lubricants are used in machinery. Conversely, in hot temps oil and grease thin out and so thicker weight lubricants are used.

I have heard they use hot air blowers in the stations to keep the trucks (wheelsets) warm. But in such conditions stacking would be really bad as it would allow the trucks to cool as the trains sit on the brake runs.

There is also the danger of windchill to the passengers on the moving train. Windchill can cause frostbite rapidly as rushing air carriers heat away from your body faster. Cold weather creates alot of problems.

If having the trains sit on the brake run is bad, then run one train when it gets cold so there is no stacking.

What coasters are supposed to be open during holiday in the park?

I expected all of them to be closed, since those sections of the park will not be a part of "Holiday In The Park" except "Blackbeard's". I think we will lose that ride for the season earlier than HITP (July 6th is my guess) But that is a "telling" ride closure with what is to come.