VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Tour - 1982 Winter

Great Spotlight, guys! It's cool comparing the offseason work from then and now. My how the park has changed. I just wanted to make a quick mention. The spotlight opens by saying that the tour was arranged throught GM Larry Cochran. I had the pleasure of meeting Larry on two occassions in 2004 when he was the CEO for Palace Entertainment. What a great and down to earth guy he was and it's no wonder he did so many great things with Six Flags and his career. I just wanted to give a shout out to an IAAPA Hall of Famer and an all around great industry guy!

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
Great Spotlight, guys! It's cool comparing the offseason work from then and now. My how the park has changed. I just wanted to make a quick mention. The spotlight opens by saying that the tour was arranged throught GM Larry Cochran. I had the pleasure of meeting Larry on two occassions in 2004 when he was the CEO for Palace Entertainment. What a great and down to earth guy he was and it's no wonder he did so many great things with Six Flags and his career. I just wanted to give a shout out to an IAAPA Hall of Famer and an all around great industry guy!

Pete

While going through some old video tapes I located a 1989 episode of Pinnacle from CNN which featured a lengthy interview with Larry Cochran when he was CEO of Six Flags. I'll convert it and upload it to the galleries. It's interesting to hear his persepective of the Six Flags parks at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Great stuff! Cochran was a great asset to the industry. During his time as CEO of Palace Entertainment, he made sure guest service was at the focus of what we did. The company grew under his leadership for the few years he was there, not through large capital projects at the parks, but due to a focus on guest service. I experienced the implementation of his program and the results first hand. They sure worked!

Pete

Great pics! I love the one of lightin loops. What a great ride, too bad it was taken down after the incident. great spotlight though, i love comparing the park from back in the day to now. there really is still alot of stuff around from back then its just diffrent collors.

• 6 months later...

To the right of the clump of trees (on the left side on the photo) is a three sided white wooden display sign. Does anyone remember when these dotted the park? I can recall that the one pictured had a photograph of a train heading down the drop after a curve on Six Flags Over Mid America's Screamin' Eagle wooden coaster. It looked impressive at the time and I always wanted to go there to ride that ride. Those signs were a simple and non intrusive way of cross promoting the other Six Flags parks individually rather than just lumping them into a a generic "Six Flags" promo.

1982-Liberty-Court.jpg

p711.jpg

Above photo from RCDB.com.

To the right of the clump of trees (on the left side on the photo) is a three sided white wooden display sign. Does anyone remember when these dotted the park? I can recall that the one pictured had a photograph of a train heading down the drop after a curve on Six Flags Over Mid America's Screamin' Eagle wooden coaster. It looked impressive at the time and I always wanted to go there to ride that ride. Those signs were a simple and non intrusive way of cross promoting the other Six Flags parks individually rather than just lumping them into a a generic "Six Flags" promo.

1982-Liberty-Court.jpg

p711.jpg

Above photo from RCDB.com.

The three sided signs you mention were added in 1978 for the first season of Six Flags' ownership. The signs showed not only rollercoasters, but scenes from the other four Six Flags parks as well. I believe there were only three of these signs (one near the fountain, one near the four tents, and one near Gingerbread Fancy). I remember a night time scene showing the Great Gasp at SFOG. I know they were still in the park as late as 1985. I remember when the GASM was added that its que had pictures and descriptions of other Six Flags coasters and I don't recall the three sided signs being in the park at that time.

And, I couldn't agree more... They were a great way of cross promoting the parks, showed the uniqueness of each park, and made you want to go if you hadn't already been there before. If I recall correctly, they did not have the actual name or location of the park displayed on them, but simply the western style "Six Flags" text (with "Six" left aligned above "Flags") in the upper portion of the photo.

There was also one of those signs in the Best of the West section. I have a picture of it somewhere that I'll try to find.

When I was younger I always wanted to make a complete model of Great Adventure out of Lego and I even wanted to include the smallest details like those signs. Unfortunately my paper route only allowed me to afford enough bricks to build a couple of rides so the park-wide model never happened. :(

Below is a picture from RCDB.com with a similar sign from The Old Country.

p3214.jpg

• 2 years later...

Wow!!!!!!!! Now this is some real cool stuff. Too bad they didn't let you go up in the fort and get some shots. You must have had a free license to do whatever you felt like doing that day with the picture taking.

Those photos were probably shot just before the spring blizzard in 1982.

I played mini golf one time there.

Here's a trivia question for you: How much did they charge per player?