VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Equal Access Pass

ReptileGuy

Do you know if that applies to Disabled Vets? I'm Disabled, Both knees bad (wear knee brace(s)) and its hard for me to walk and stand for line for more than a few minutes. I do have a Department of Veterans affairs disability card also. I just never thought about it because I am usually with my kids and wait with them on the lines anyway.

That's also why I very rarely go on any slides at HH. Can barely make it up there without my knee brace and its worse when there is a long line.

All you do is go to GR and ask for it. By law they can't question your disabilities, they just issue the pass.

You take it to the ride greeter who gives you your return time based on the current wait and you come back and ride.

Unfortunately many people are abusing it because of this. A lot of people who are healthy get these and use them to their advantage. It's sad for the people who have to wait, and the people who are actually qualified to receive one

Unfortunately many people are abusing it because of this. A lot of people who are healthy get these and use them to their advantage. It's sad for the people who have to wait, and the people who are actually qualified to receive one

Its bad this year. Not judging a book by its cover but i constantly see people who seem fine, and nothing physically wrong with them, and go up with their 15+ family members or friends so they all cut the line.

Its bad this year. Not judging a book by its cover but i constantly see people who seem fine, and nothing physically wrong with them, and go up with their 15+ family members or friends so they all cut the line.

You should be required to have some type of card or proof or something.

I know they only allow the person with the Equal Access Pass to bring a maximum of 3 guests with them. And robert i would look into it if i were you, since they will for sure give you a pass, especially if you have a card as proof for your reason needing it. Ive seen people get cards for things such as asthma, so they would definatley give you one for bad knees. That is actually the reason I was looking at their program. I have surprisingly bad knees for my age, and am probably going to need surgery on one knee within the next year or so. So even though im not disabled by a legal standpoint, i can barely walk after my few hours in the park. They should really get some sort of verification system for the Equal Access system. Ive seen people go to a local CVS, buy a brace for 10 bucks, and then go get the Pass... They should require people to show an ADA card, or a Veterans Disability Card, or a note from a doctor.

It should really be understood that it is not the park's choice to not ask for verification. It's actually illegal for them to ask about someone's disability. I don't know the laws fully, but they really have to tiptoe around disabled issues to avoid huge lawsuits. In most cases, they just have to give you the pass for claiming you have some disability that warrants the pass.

I unfortunately have used these passes at Great Adventure and other parks many times before. I say unfortunately because trust me I wish I didn't have to. While I agree that there are some people who take advantage of the system you need to keep in mind that many disabilities are invisible. I look perfectly healthy on the outside but I have Crohn's disease. I can't be in the sun/heat for long periods of time due to medicines that I am on. On days where my symptoms are even slightly bad I wouldn't be at the park but the nature of the illness is that they can rise at any time so if I am at the park and in a line and have an issue it would be a problem.

Also know that these passes don't let you skip the lines. You wait the same amount of time just not in the line. I've had some pretty nasty comments thrown at me for not "looking disabled" when using the pass. I sometimes wish I could trade places with those people for a day but I'm not that cruel.

For those curious about the process, when you enter the park turn right at the fountain. The ride info building on the right is where you need to go. I showed them a Dr.'s note but I believe they said they aren't even supposed to look at them anymore. They'll explain the whole process to you.

I was wondering about it because like i said, i have really bad knees. I am usually able to tough it out but thats only because i normally take advil before going to the park, to minimize pains. I really find it sad that this system can be misused and abused. There are so many people who could actually use it but dont get it, where as any random guest can get one for a made up disability. And I do know what coaster dude is saying with how some disabilities are invisible. I am sorry that you had to experience people harassing you over the pass. They were probably either A) really stupid teenagers (as a teen, i will admit alot of us do and say really dumb things) or B ) just ********.

I didnt expect the pass to cut the line in the first place, its just for me and for my knees sake, i would much rather sit on a bench for an hour and a half, then stand for even a short 30 minute line.

Edited by ReptileGuy
language

I unfortunately have used these passes at Great Adventure and other parks many times before. I say unfortunately because trust me I wish I didn't have to. While I agree that there are some people who take advantage of the system you need to keep in mind that many disabilities are invisible.

I sometimes wish I could trade places with those people for a day but I'm not that cruel.

I think this is an important point: A lot of disabilities *ARE* invisible, and it's not a nice thing to pass judgement off of a 30-second glance at a family or party. As has been said, most people using the pass would much rather not have to.

I used one at GAdv while recovering from surgery a bit ago, and did not see many examples of abuse. That said, they did not ask for any kind of verification.

On a related note, I do wish they would configure more stations like El Toro's, where unless you need extra assistance boarding (e.g., from a wheelchair), you just blend into the station line. Nobody feels good about taking someone's spot when they're about to board.

And on another related note, I also used one at Cedar Point during that period, and they asked me plenty of questions before determining which level of pass to give me, so I'm confused about the idea that it's illegal to ask questions (unless it's a State law, which I doubt it would be).

Edited by pashacar

It is only illegal to ask questions if you have already been issued some form of identification that shows you are disabled (I.e. Bus pass, parking pass, etc.) regardless of whether or not that identification identifies your disability. The point is, that with that identification, you already had to prove the disability.

well all my visits this season and walking by the rider information booth, you will hear all the families talking about abusing the system. .its just sad. you hear them come out bragging how they got the pass because by law they cant question disabilities. so they just lie. terrible

I once saw 50-100 people walk up into KK's station, all with the Equal Access Passes. It was so bad that they had to load every other train with them, which annihilated capacity. I highly doubt every one of those people were truly disabled, and it gives you a look at how much the system is being abused unfortunately. I know Disney had issues with this too, so they tweaked the system somewhat to make it more difficult to exploit the system

Geez, and I feel bad asking for the medically necessary sticker to carry my bag up to the rides and leave it in the station. I'm T1 diabetic and need to have my glucose meter and some glucose (usually Smarties) with me.

It's sad that people take advantage of it when there are folks that need it.

That is how I feel. A lot of times I just deal with it or ride only a few rides while my kids will wait on longer line while I sit on the bench. I feel like if I can wait on a "Walmart line for check out", I can wait on a line for a coaster...