VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Fright Fest -- First Few Weekends

pashacar

By now I know to avoid the second half of October if I want to avoid massive crowds at the park.

But in looking at TRs from previous years, it seems like FF crowds don't necessarily start low and steadily trend upwards. I was especially surprised to see how busy last year's FF opening weekend was -- worse, it seems, than the next two weeks.

Obviously there are a lot of factors -- weather, season pass coupons, etc. -- that play into crowds. But I'm wondering from those of you who visit a whole bunch, when do you think the best time(s) to go during this FF will be? Also, how much better are Sundays than Saturdays? (I was always a Columbus Day man, myself.)

Thanks for any advice!

Edited by pashacar

I prefer going on Friday nights. Last year the first Friday night in October was crowded but after that the crowds were reasonable. From what I understand Sundays are still crowded but not nearly as bad as Saturdays, the exception being Sunday of Columbus Day weekend where I remember it was posted that the cars were lined up near WaWa to get into the park.

Last year, I went to Fright Fest the week before Halloween on a Saturday, and the crowds were absolutely insane. When my father went to come pick me up for the night, He stood in bumper-to-bumper traffic on Rt. 537 for 45 minutes, and had to turn around to go on the other side of the road's entrance. Your best bet would be to go on Fridays or Sundays. Not sure if I will go to FF this year though.

Last time I went was actually a Sat. Got there when the park opened and it was fairly empty till night time came around. I don't think I waited more then 45mins for any coaster and some even had multiple rides with out having to get off. This was two years ago

I'm trying to remember -- did last year's first Friday have a BAFF? Or was it weather that kept folks away on subsequent Fridays? I'm planning to go Oct 2 this year, and looking forward to it, but have to go on a Sat/Sun with another friend.

I looked up my report from the first Friday last year. The weather was supposed to be bad the next day so it was thought that people who were going to go to the park on Saturday went on Friday instead. Even the final Friday last year on Halloween had low crowds and the weather was ok, I want to say low to mid 50s (I remember because I was wearing an Eagles sweatshirt and got some comments from NY sports fans).

To give an idea of crowds, here is how many rides I got in each Friday night last year:

10/3 - 10 rides

10/10 - 18 rides

10/24 - 19 rides (would have been more but that was the day they shut down all rides 30 minutes early at 11:30 instead of midnight)

10/31 - 23 rides

Temps factor in alot, a warm night is going to be more busy than a cold night. These days there isn't a sure way to know as the crowd pattern is all over the place. As of last year, the park opened its rides at 5:30, they just let you in the parking lot at 5:00. As a whole FF is one of the most crowded times for GADV and often attracts the most rowdy bunch.

Edited by The Master

You could never tell that the park extended the day by the parking lot. If you go out at closing time during FF you can expect a 2 hour wait to get out. I'm sure there are some strategic places to park that would cut that time down but I have never parked in one.

Edited by scott

I feel like majority of the mess comes from the one side of the parking lot that always tried to get out the employee entrance. Theres usually always an accident too by the wawa area because people don't know what lane is for what and always end up in the wrong one.

It is good to hear the park got additional help with the traffic. The problem is worse as you go deeper into the lot and the people trying to get out of the employee lot does not help. Part of the problem is everyone leaving lanes and trying to make another merge point. If everyone would line up and merge properly the exiting would go much smoother.

Another issue is the stop sign at the exit of the lot nearest to the employee entrance. They tend to set up barricades protecting the lane that drivers are turning into, and station someone there waving (i.e., telling drivers they don't have to stop) but they don't cover up the dang sign, so most drivers stop anyway and it slows things down a ton.