VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

What color would you re-paint Nitro?

Zash

I'd personally like to see a black and white color scheme, similar to Full Throttle at SFMM. Our park already has way too many cool colors (green, blue, and purple). Both Superman and Batman are yellow. As guests walk into the park, they're greeted by Superman's red track, so I'm not entirely too sure we need more of that either. Black is the only color our park lacks (only features on Batman, an already compact and small in stature coaster).

I'd just like to see it painted! And then see BTR repainted NOT yellow.

Either the blue:

maxresdefault.jpg

or gray:

0261.jpg

I remember when B:TR was repaimted in 2004ish, I was REALLY hoping for the gray/black. Fantastic combo and most realistic to his costume (at least in the animated movies). Never was much a fan of the blue/black. I remember during its last painting the purple primer/tester strip would have been an interesting color scheme for the ride.

id say go for the original, yet I am still not sure who picked the original colors. the pink rails always got me. Also with the way SF likes to spend money I see the rails and spine in one color and the supports in another. Tri color would probably add to the dollar amount to repaint it

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to see the coaster with an actual theme. Unfortunately if Six Flags were to theme it, they would just slap a plywood cutout of a comic book character on it and call that a "theme". The park itself needs a theme, and then the coaster could be themed to match that. But that will never happen.

^Actually, I couldn't care less what other parks are doing. That is one of Six Flags problems. They are trying so hard to be Cedar Point without realizing they are destroying what they have and never will be Cedar Point, because what makes that park work as an amusement park is it's history as a lakeside amusement park. Great Adventure cannot create a history it never had. They need to stop trying to be something they never will be and make the park something unique and great itself, which it was when it opened.

A theme park in a forest is an amazing thing. They destroyed the forest and made the park a mess of unrelated crap thrown around like someone just threw everything up in the air and cemented it down wherever it landed.

The park has 3 african themed rides; An African Safari in the western section of the park, Zumanjaro in the Asian section, and Congo Rapids in a section without any theme. If you are going to have an African Safari and other African themed rides, why not actually have an African themed section in the park? Why destroy the only well themed areas by adding African themed rides where they don't belong? Make the Safari entrance near Nitro, give Nitro an African theme and make that part of the park Africa.

The fact that other parks are doing stupid things is not a good reason for Six Flags to do so. The most successful parks in the country are ones with coherent theming, unique food, multiple show venues, rides and attractions for children, great roller coasters and thrill rides all in a pleasant atmosphere. These are well-rounded parks that appeal to all demographics. Six Flags has decided to market their parks only to teenagers and that is a recipe for failure. That is not a large enough demographic to sustain a park that size. Not to mention that even teenagers prefer rides with good atmosphere and coherent theming that blends with the rest of the park instead of rides thrown on cement or fields of grass with comic book characters slapped on the side of them.

So yes, I am saying negative things about the park, because the park continues to do negative things. Whether or not other parks do so is of no concern to me. I have been going to Great Adventure since it opened. I love the park and am very disappointed by the way it has been destroyed and downgraded to a tacky carnival.

So to get back on topic, give NITRO an African theme and make that area Africa.

^^The problem is that Great Adventure has had so many different teams of management with entirely different ideas of what to do with the park that Great Adventure, as it is today, is a mash-up of everything that went into it over the last 42 years. Great Adventure management today is doing the best they can with the situation and park they have, and I'm sure of that. They have to follow SF guidelines in terms of budget, theme, food, etc. that they don't often have the liberty to do exactly what one person wants that probably won't turn a profit. That's why Premier is out of the picture--they had the cohesive theme ideals that you're talking about and a fantastic vision for the park, but it's not profitable or sustainable. I guarantee you that moving the safari and retheming Nitro would be outrageously costly and wouldn't be justified in any way.

As for comparing the park to Cedar Point, what do you expect? The park isn't just plopping down coasters left and right, this is actually the longest in park history between two coasters. Since the last one they've added multiple family rides (like the safari) and made the park a heck of a lot better over the last five years in many aspects.

Finally, how does Cedar Point's history have to do with them being able to do what they do in terms of attractions? They have a very similar formula to Great Adventure with a slightly larger budget. Yes, they're a resort destination and have been building coasters for longer (so therefore retain a lot of the history in the older coasters) but as a whole they've removed a lot of what makes them "special" in many people's eyes. If you don't think Cedar Point is a park filled to the brim with steel machines everywhere you look wherever they can fit then I don't know what else to tell you.

Bottom line is--yes, Great Adventure has issues. I agree completely. I dislike the comic book themes all over the place. Do you know how many themed areas Cedar Point has? One. It's executed well, I agree. The rest of the park, however, has no theme at all and you're left with rides with a castle theme next to two rides with bird themes. In the end, though, what do you expect Great Adventure to do? Spend their entire budget for a year (likely more) on renaming rides and retheming them? The park isn't Disney or Universal and hasn't tried to be since 1974.

• Like 2

Good luck getting to the Safari from the Nitro area. They aren't even close and would require chopping down many more trees than you would probably like.

The ride from nitro to the safari entrance would probably be longer then the safari ride itself as it is now!

Yes, Cedar point is a theme-less park " filled to the brim with steel machines everywhere you look". That is my point exactly. Great Adventure is doing everything possible to become just as tacky. It works for Cedar Point because that is all that park ever was. It never was a theme park. It was not built in a forest. It was an amusement park built on a lake.

Great Adventure was built in a forest for a reason. The forest makes a park more exciting than just a bunch of rides thrown in a parking lot. No one expects the park to be like Disney or Universal. It doesn't have to be. It can be something they can't, a park built in a forest. A thrilling park with many roller coasters. But cutting down every tree in sight and throwing those coasters on slabs of cement or fields of grass ruins what they could be, exciting coasters that run through forests. This was not necessary and was just plain stupid, destroying the greatest asset the park had, the forest it was built in.

It is also not necessary to slap comic book characters on every ride and paint them all fluorescent colors that clash with everything in sight. They go out of their way to make the park tacky and obnoxious. It is not budget-related. It costs just as much money to paint rides obnoxious colors as it would to paint them colors that compliment each other and the park itself.

Most of the park's problems have nothing to do with budget or limitations, they are just bad decisions made by some overgrown teenager with a comic book fetish.

• 2 years later...
On 2/21/2016 at 11:59 AM, 29yrswithaGApass said:

I wouldn't change the colors of Nitro but I would take BTR back to an all black scheme.

The black and yellow (oh yeah, all right, you know what it is) color scheme is actually nostalgic to me.