VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Six Flags and Samsung Partner to Launch First Virtual Reality Roller Coasters in North America

29yrswithaGApass

• 2 weeks later...

I got to try this out in six flags over Texas today. I thought it was cool for a one time thing but it's not something i would want in our park. The visuals weren't very good and actually seemed blurry. The headset itself isn't the most comfortable and basically is holding a Samsung Galaxy phone in it.

You had the option to not wear the headset at least.

Also my bigger concern with getting one of these in our park is that the wait times are going to be abysmal with the staff having to help people who can't put these things on properly.

I got to try this out in six flags over Texas today. I thought it was cool for a one time thing but it's not something i would want in our park. The visuals weren't very good and actually seemed blurry. The headset itself isn't the most comfortable and basically is holding a Samsung Galaxy phone in it.

You had the option to not wear the headset at least.

Also my bigger concern with getting one of these in our park is that the wait times are going to be abysmal with the staff having to help people who can't put these things on properly.

I thought the same thing (regarding the visuals) when I watched the video online. It just looks like something off a PS1 game.

I thought the same thing (regarding the visuals) when I watched the video online. It just looks like something off a PS1 game.

Absolutely agree that it looks a ps1 game. If they are going to make this a permanent thing I think the visuals have to be top notch. I think I would have enjoyed the coaster more without them.

One of the financial reports mentioned an interesting spin on using the VR concept for Holiday in the Park. Think of something like Santa's flight, a winter sleigh ride, or the Polar Express!

The polar express one would be you put on the goggles, and then just walk. You use VR to make believe we have a train in our park

• 2 weeks later...

After being on superman for the first time this weekend I really don't understand why they are doing virtual reality to that ride. The headsets are going to kill the load times for the trains. The ride is so much fun as it is I can't imagine wanting to look at a cell phone screen with the giant headsets for the entire ride. I'm really curious to see the reviews from everyone there when it starts.

Wicked cyclone is so much fun that I may come back one day just to ride that and maybe go on superman 1x with the vr just to see the superman version since I've already seen the fighter jet one.

• 1 month later...

Joker would be out because each ride is different and the video has to sync perfectly with the ride.

If the park were to get VR added to a coaster, I would hope it would go to an older, less popular coaster like Runaway Mine Train.

Hearing about dispatches taking up to 8 minutes per train, I would hate to see a ride like Nitro get VR where under good conditions, a train can be dispatched every 70 to 80 seconds.

^ Is that a hint? Because if so, that would really make the most sense. Although I'd choose none of the above. I saw firsthand what the VR headsets do to dispatch times, and personally I want no part of that.

• 3 weeks later...

SFNE is running Superman without VR from 2 to 5 each day. That sounds like a good compromise for anyone who wants to ride he coaster with normal wait times.