VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Nickelodeon Universe Theme Park Coming To American Dream Meadowlands

29yrswithaGApass

Nickelodeon Universe Theme Park Coming To American Dream Meadowlands Eight-and-one-half acre park will feature ride and attractions featuring SpongeBob SquarePants and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

By Daniel Hubbard (Patch Staff) - September 13, 2016 1:33 pm ET

ad_nickelodeon_entrance_041219-147377420

BERGEN COUNTY, N.J. — SpongeBob SquarePants and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are coming to American Dream Meadowlands.

Developer Triple Five has partnered with Nickelodeon on its creation of the largest indoor amusement park in the western hemisphere, Nickelodeon Universe.

The eight-and-one-half acre park will feature rides and attractions based on Nickelodeon-owned properties, similar to the Nickelodeon Universe at another Triple Five-owned property — the Mall of America in Minnesota. That theme park features rides like the Fairly Odd Coaster, Diego's Rescue Rider, and Shredder's Mutant Masher.

“Based on the success we have seen with Nickelodeon Universe at Mall of America we are excited to bring the number one entertainment brand for kids to American Dream,” Triple Five President Don Ghermezian said in a statement.

Tickets for the park will be available in a variety of options, from single-ride to an annual pass.

The 91-acre complex will be broken up into five connected sections more than a half-mile long when it opens in the fall of 2018. The $5 billion project is expected to add 20,000 jobs to the North Jersey and compete with New York City as the go-to tourist and family entertainment destination in the area.

Nickelodeon is the latest brand to bring its intellectual properties to the property.

DreamWorks, owner of popular movie franchises such as "Shrek," "Kung Fu Panda," and "How To Train Your Dragon," is the official partner of American Dream's water park.

LEGOLAND is designed specifically for children ages 3 to 10. It will feature a 4D cinema, Lego brick pool, and rides. Kids can also take Lego building classes.

A 22,000-square-foot adult arcade, For The Win, will feature state-of-the-art gaming, a bowling alley, live music performances, and a selection of craft beers. A 1,500-seat, 4D movie theater will allow moviegoers to "smell" the film they're watching.

The first Sea Life aquarium in New Jersey will feature a tropical ocean tank with a walk-through underwater tunnel. There will also be a 300-foot-tall observation wheel, a 12-story indoor ski park with an 800-foot-long hill, and a food court with 15-restaurants and 50 grab-and-go offerings.

American Dream Meadowlands was slated to open in the summer of 2017, but Triple Five pushed the open date back to the fall of 2018 because of difficulities securing the financing needed for the $5 billion project.

I'm glad to see that there will finally be a full size indoor amusement park in the area. I never understood why it seems like indoor waterparks are being added everywhere but not many amusement parks. It should still be fun to visit maybe once a year in January or February for some coaster rides during the offseason. Even though the concept art shows a Vekoma SLC (seems unlikely to me) if they have a similar ride lineup to the park at Mall of America, that will be good especially the Eurofighter.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Gerstlauer is showing off this model of a Spinning Coaster and Eurofighter(Takabisha clone) at EAS in Berlin.  It matches the description of the roller coasters previously mentioned for this park.  The first half of the Eurofighter is a LSM launch followed by the lift hill section.

21766305_1634888076585745_65663740030654

https://www.facebook.com/ParksCoastersWorldwide/photos/a.616206268453936.1073741828.615927358481827/1634888076585745/?type=3&theater

http://www.coastersandmore.de/rides/achterbahnneuheiten2014/achterbahnneuheiten2014.shtml

Triple Five Mall, New Jersey, United States of America: On the site of the Xanadu Mall, which has been under construction but has never been opened for financial reasons, the Canadian shopping center operator Triple Five will open a funfair complex in the style of the well-known Mall of America in Minneapolis by 2016. The DreamWorks Amusement Park is to be equipped, among other things, with two intersecting roller coasters from Gerstlauer.

The 1000 meter long LSM Coaster is identical to Takabisha in Japan: Directly after the station, a heart roll with drop is positioned in the launch, followed by further high-inversions such as Corkscrew or Dive Loop. The last splint is given a vertical pencil. Overall, the over 40 meter high roller coaster will offer seven inversions. The second railtraction is a spinning coaster with single vehicles, which offers not only classic mouse curves but also various trips and departures, which will be fully integrated into the LSM Coaster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Medusa42 said:

They sold the bonds for the project and now have all of the money needed to complete it.  That was the final hurdle, so I expect this to open in 2019.

They'll open it, sure.  In stages.  The retail part of it will be a mess because they won't be able to lease out the anchor sites.  Traffic getting there will be a mess because it's a mess already and they're doing zero to fix that.  If it's open long enough, I'm sure you can ride those coasters.  I personally have zero interest in this project other than to mock it's hideous exterior.   (Not to sound harsh, everyone's interests and desires to visit may vary.  This project has been a developer's nightmare and the fact that it didn't fold when Lehman went under is a testament to both perseverance and the perverse nature of American finance.  But that's another discussion for another forum.)

Edited by Lemur
Clarity

I was expecting something more along the lines of the Eurofighter at Mall of America and this looks like it will be a lot better. I also like how they the spinner goes all around the other coaster.

• 4 weeks later...

The first Sea Life aquarium in New Jersey 

Umm, aren't they forgetting the Camden Adventure Aquarium that has been in NJ since the 1990s? Oh yeah its Southern NJ so it doesn't count because Southern NJ never counts. 

Wow, the ride lineup is a lot better than I was expecting.

I wonder if Surf Rider is a flat or an Intamin Surf Rider coaster (even though it's not listed under coasters, Avatar Airbender at Mall of America isn't called a coaster either on their website). I'm also curious what Short Loop coaster is. Maybe a shuttle loop? Hopefully not a Larson Loop. For the family suspended coaster I guess it's going to be Vekoma, S&S, Intamin or B&M. 

The water coaster in the water park looks cool too.

It looks like they are using the official manufacturer ride names, so I think that is an Intamin Surf Rider and a Vekoma Family Suspended Coaster.  I don't think the Small Loop Coaster is a Larson SuperLoop, maybe that ride will be announced by someone at IAAPA.  It is nice to see the ride selection is different from what can be found at Great Adventure, maybe Six Flags will relocate one of the Pandemonium coasters here and add a water coaster to Hurricane Harbor. :lol:

This could be getting serious!  I noticed that SFGA is about at the 50 mile radius on their map.  So I guess the ferris wheel is going to be outside, presumably because of its height.  I really want to see this ski area completed and see how it fares.  Too bad I stopped skiing due to help issues....

http://www.rideentertainment.com/press-release/american-dream/

Two World-Record Roller Coasters Coming to Nickelodeon Universe At American Dream

November 2, 2017 by Adam Sandy

East Rutherford, NJ (November 2, 2017) The indoor Nickelodeon Universe theme park at American Dream will feature two record-breaking roller coasters by Gerstlauer.  They consist of an intertwined Launched Euro-Fighter with a beyond-vertical drop and a Spinning Coaster whose cars rotate on a vertical axis as they move along the track.

“Featuring the best in family and adult entertainment, Nickelodeon Universe at American Dream has been designed to appeal to customers of all ages.  By working with the best partners in the business, our park experience will be highly themed and offer one of a kind rides by Gerstlauer,” Don Ghermezian, President Triple Five.

The Euro-Fighter boasts the world record for the steepest roller coaster drop, while the Spinning Coaster will hold the titles of the world’s tallest and longest free spinning roller coaster. The two roller coasters will be intertwined, which means the combined 14 vehicles will run in and around each other. The kinetic energy in the space will be amazing and feature non-stop action.

“These two coasters, appealing to thrill seekers, will break three world-records combined!”  Gerstlauer has far exceeded our expectations with these new to market coasters and we’re excited to have them on this journey with us,” commented Gary Hanson, a management consultant at Triple Five.

“We have worked on many projects, but this will be unlike anything we have ever designed. Visitors to Nickelodeon Universe at American Dream are in for a great ride,” said Siegfried Gerstlauer, Managing Director of Gerstlauer Amusement Rides.

Visitors from around the world will see a large scale model of the roller coasters in the Gerstlauer booth (4847) at the IAAPA Expo in Orlando, Florida from November 14-17. In addition, they can learn more about the experience at the booth of Gerstlauer’s sales partner, Ride Entertainment (5820).

“It has really been an honor for us to go on this journey with Triple Five,” said Adam Sandy, Chief Business Development Officer with Ride Entertainment. “In many ways the Spinning Coaster at their Mall of America property kicked off Gerstlauer’s growth in North America, and they have subsequently put three additional rides in their Minnesota and Edmonton properties. The two new rides at American Dream will take Gerstlauer’s thrills to the next level,” he said.

Construction Webcam:

http://www.earthcam.net/projects/americandream/meadowlands/

Edited by Medusa42
Added Construction Webcam
  • Like 1

Is that the big ugly colored building you used to see from the Turnpike, or is it new construction?

Go to the panorama view and scroll - it is sweet!  Looks like this will be a amusement park you would be able to take the train to.  There aren't too many of those!

Edited by dougdrummer

21 hours ago, dougdrummer said:

Is that the big ugly colored building you used to see from the Turnpike, or is it new construction?

Go to the panorama view and scroll - it is sweet!  Looks like this will be a amusement park you would be able to take the train to.  There aren't too many of those!

The big ugly colored building is the indoor ski slope.  This is all relatively new.

(As for taking the train ... sure you can ... in theory.  NJTransit to Secaucus Junction and then the shuttle train to the Meadowlands.  Hopefully NJT can actually get it to work, as they usually have a ton of crew and equipment trouble when they do this for big events.  The Superbowl, for example, was a nightmare.  But if it's in constant service, they can hopefully get it running about as well as the NE Corridor or North Jersey Coast lines ... that is, if some semblance of regularity.)