VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Cedar Point Bachelor Party trip 2017?

Mrpq

Trip being planned page 2, need final opinions please

So, I am getting married next November (2017) and ideas have started to be tossed around about what I would like to do for a Bachelor party. Now myself and group of guys included aren't exactly "partiers" and I am not really looking for your run of the mill party, you know bars and ladies. I much rather just spend a few days someplace we can all enjoy and just have fun. SOOOO I cam up with the idea of going to Cedar Point. My whole group loves roller coasters so it seemed like a good fit. Now its been a while since I have been there so I am trying to see what you guys think the best time would be to go. I would like to try and avoid a weekend (id like more of a during the week trip) Trying to avoid the crowds as much as possible. Also, best place to stay option (I was thinking Breakers) and would it be worth getting a speed pass for the rides (if they even have that). its not 100% that this would be the trip but I do appreciate any info. It would probably be a group of 10 guys.

Edited by Mrpq

The best times to go is early in the season during weekdays (although you run into the risk of school trips), or the weekend after Labor Day that there is no Halloweekends (Friday night of that weekend is especially empty).

Last year I went on a Thursday during the first week in June and although schools were out it wasn't too crowded. Millennium Force and Maverick got the longest waits at 45 minutes for Millennium Force and 60 minutes for Maverick and other than that, most lines were 5 to 20 minutes, especially by late afternoon when rides like Raptor and a Gatekeeper were 5 minute waits.

There is Fast Lane but it is very expensive. Fast Lane Plus that includes all the regular rides plus Valravn, Dragster, Maverick and Gatekeeper usually ranges from $85 to $150 per person depending on the day although you do get $20 off with a Platinum Pass. I was able to get away without and rode everything I wanted to but did miss the opportunity to ride some coasters more than once.

HOLY you know what!!! The speed passes are that much?! If I recall correctly when we stayed at the Breakers last time I went we got early park admission. Does that still happen?. For the perfect trip I would like to be there at least 3 days, but I do not know how possible that would be. It would prob only work that way with we spent the weekend. Travel Thursday, spend Fri, Sat, Sun, leave Monday. or leave Friday, spend sat, sun, Monday and leave Tuesday.

I don't mind school trips being there because they usually leave the park late afternoon, which means after that the rest of the night is empty.

The worst part is even at those prices you still have some lines. When I was there the posted Fast Lane Maverick wait was 30 minutes and where Millennium Force merges with the regular line, it's still a 15 - 20 minute wait. Same with Dragster.

There is still early entry, an hour early with select rides open. I considered staying on site but decided to save the money and stayed off site since we got a suite for under $100 per night around 15 minutes from the park (I don't recall the name).

I really enjoyed the new breakers hotel when I stayed there at the end of August for 3 nights.

That time of the year many kids were back in school so the park was less crowded and breakers was much more affordable.

I'd consider Breakers at full price especially for something like a bachelor type event. Take a look at their suites and don't invite Tom Hanks.

There is early entry for hotel guests...but if guests have a Platinum Season pass they will get that too.

FastPass is a must for Maverick and Valravn.

If you are serious you might want to buy the Park + FlashPass Plus tickets that are on sale now for the holiday for $80 each. A very good deal!!

Limited Time Offer
Save up to $92 on Admission and Fast Lane Plus! With Fast Lane Plus, speed past the lines on your favorite rides and attractions including Valravn, Gatekeeper, Top Thrill Dragster and more!

Tickets valid any day the park is open through Labor Day 2017 (excludes Saturdays).

Congratulations!!

Someone else can probably answer this as to the exact time frame cause I haven't been there since like 09/10 but when I had gone then the place was packed with those awful annoying bugs. I want to say it was around may/June but I don't remember exactly. I'd definitely avoid going whenever those things are there lol

Edited by SatansHockey

Mrpq, if you can swing it, going during the week in late August is amazing. Super light attendance, especially Tue-Thu in the last two weeks before Labor Day.

If you go that time of year, you'll easily be able to do everything at the park in two days, one night at the Breakers, without Fast Lane. Or, if you want to have a more leisurely time and maybe hit up the water park, too (which has comically light attendance that time of year), you could do three days, two nights at the Breakers. Then you'd have time to maybe chill at the beach a bit during one of the days, or head to downtown Sandusky for dinner one night (this place is good).

You certainly don't *need* to stay at the Breakers to have a good time, but I highly recommend the experience you get there, if the cost is doable. Plus, you save a lot on admission and parking to help offset what can feel like ridiculously high room rates.

Yeah the last time I stayed was at the Breakers and it was great, the year right before Mavrick was built was the last time I was there.

So it seems a mid to late Aug trip is what I should look for? Is that still regular park hours or do they start closing early? Would it be safe to say weekend this time of year have also slowed down? it just might be tough getting people to take off that many days during the week

and that was my other question. If you stay on site do you get admission deals? Are there multi day tickets or is a season pass needed?

Edited by Mrpq

Someone else can probably answer this as to the exact time frame cause I haven't been there since like 09/10 but when I had gone then the place was packed with those awful annoying bugs. I want to say it was around may/June but I don't remember exactly. I'd definitely avoid going whenever those things are there lol

I know exactly what you are talking about. Night rides on MF where brutal. first row rides came off COVERED in bugs

I have gone both in mid June and Late May... Also stayed both on and off resort. I preferred late August and staying on resort. When you split the cost of the hotel room with other people it is worth the higher price. You also get in the park an hour early and can hit the selected rides that are open early then hit the other rides right when the park opens to the general public. We stayed 3 days and 2 nights. The park did close earlier (I believe 8pm) but we were able to hit all the coasters and some flat rides in one day. Hit the water park the next day and went back to the park later in the day.

It was also easier when staying in the park since you can go back to the room at any time. We brought lunch meat and bread in a cooler and another cooler with "beverages" and left the in the room. That did save us money.

Also when someone (not me) was not feeling well after riding some coasters (and had a few too much to drink the night before) he was able to go back to room while we stayed at the park. It was also nice to take break from riding and hit the beach during the afternoon to recoup.

I just looked real fast at the website it seems as of now id go Thursday Aug 17 till Monday Aug 21st. Park is open till 12am that weekend. Would that be a bad time? that or the following weekend

the next thing would be picking which onsite hotel. Looking at prices, they do have rooms that hold 8-10 guest and depending on which hotel you go to depends the price and what kind of deal they offer

my brother is questioning if 3 full days at the park is really needed or if we can get away with 2?. We would be driving from Long Island and probably drive right through non stop

Edited by Mrpq

We went later in August from Wed night to Sat morning... Did the park in 2 days (Thursday and Friday). Not too sure how weekends are there. We stayed at Breakers... cheapest room (we did not care) and was close to TGIF.

I just looked real fast at the website it seems as of now id go Thursday Aug 17 till Monday Aug 21st. Park is open till 12am that weekend. Would that be a bad time? that or the following weekend

the next thing would be picking which onsite hotel. Looking at prices, they do have rooms that hold 8-10 guest and depending on which hotel you go to depends the price and what kind of deal they offer

my brother is questioning if 3 full days at the park is really needed or if we can get away with 2?. We would be driving from Long Island and probably drive right through non stop

My predictions....

I'd assume the 17th is the last weekend for Summer vacations in the Ohio area...I'd expect a very packed park as people squeak in that final summer vacation.

3 days? It depends on how much you like Cedar Point...or waterparks. If you push the visit to the Aug 24 -2 days will probably be enough.

Its a long boring drive...make it 2 days at Cedar Point stop in Pittsburgh for a break and visit Kennywood on the way there or on the way back!

Or Idlewild if taking a more northern route.

Just be warned many placed become weekend only after Aug 20th. (I learned that the hard way at Idlewild...the Moose should have told you the park is closed).

We probably would spend much time at the water park. My brother and I have been to Cedar Point twice before, but it hasn't been since before they built Maverick, So they have quite a bit of new hardwear to check out since out last trip, not to mention Mean Streak will be done for next year too.

The drive doesn't really bother me or my buddies, we are used to driving down to FL and GA and we make the trips in one shot, although I will agree that driving through PA is boring as hell. There is literally nothing around you.

PS- great Vacation reference :Spittake:

Well I have only been there twice and one trip was July and one trip was Aug and it happened both times lol Only at night though, the bugs where an issue. All I remember was the last trip in Aug was SUPER hot and humid lol

Edited by Mrpq

Don't ride coasters in the very front row at night at Cedar Point. My best alternative to a front experience at night is to ride in the second or in some cases the third row. You'll probably encounter less bugs.

• 1 month later...

ok so we are about to book our trip Looking at Thursday Aug 17th to Sunday Aug 20th

Figure..

Wed night travel night

Thursday -Get there around 8am, unpack and relax

Friday- day at the park

Sat- day at the park

Sunday- travel home

Figure thats the better weekend since the park is open till 11pm Thursday night and 12am Friday and Sat night vs the following weekend closing 8pm on Thursday and 10pm on Fri and Sat

Anyone have any thoughts?

Only thing that would be the other issue is weather and we can pre plan that sadly

Edited by Mrpq