VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

2016 Theme Park Attendance Numbers are out (and for GA, up!)

29yrswithaGApass

The attendance figures are out for 2016 from the Themed Entertainment Association. You can view the report HERE.

Six Flags Great Adventure is #19 in North America with 3.22 million up 5.5%. Hurricane Harbor NJ is also up by 2% to 449,000 landing it at #14 for North American waterparks.

I'm a little surprised HH is only up 2%. Would have guessed more. Still a lot of people showing up at the parks last year. Hope it continues so they keep investing back into it.

Maybe those days where the park reached capacity (I thought it was happening almost every summer weekend) were why the increase was only 2% and if the park could have fit more guests, the increase would have been greater?

It's interesting to see how Six Flags has grown attendance chainwide by almost 6 million visitors when you compare the 2010 report to the 2016 report.

Six Flags went from 24.3 million visitors in 2010 to 30.1 million visitors in 2016.

Cedar Fair went from 22.8 million visitors in 2010 to 25.1 million visitors in 2016.

Seaworld Parks and Entertainment went from 22.4 million visitors in 2010 to 22 million visitors in 2016.

But ironically, I don't think GA's yearly attendance has changed much from the 1970's when it was new, but much smaller with very few coasters.

But back then they had a lot more shows.

Interesting tidbits on the 2016 data:

Every Disney park worldwide saw some decline in attendance.

Every Universal park worldwide saw an increase - some substantial.

Seaworld in Florida had a 7.9% decline.

Worldwide attendance for the Top 25 parks was down 1.1%, but up 3.6% for waterparks (down slightly in North America).

SFMM (+7.3%), SF Great America (+5.6%), SFGA (+5.5%) from 2015.

Busch Gardens Williamsburg is not on the list of top 20 parks in NA (BG Tampa is no. 11). But Water Country USA is no. 6 for water parks.

I did not know there was a SF Mexico (Mexico City), which had the highest attendance (2.4M) in Latin America.

Every Disney park worldwide saw some decline in attendance.

Every Universal park worldwide saw an increase - some substantial.

Seaworld in Florida had a 7.9% decline.

Worldwide attendance for the Top 25 parks was down 1.1%, but up 3.6% for waterparks (down slightly in North America).

SFMM (+7.3%), SF Great America (+5.6%), SFGA (+5.5%) from 2015.

Busch Gardens Williamsburg is not on the list of top 20 parks in NA (BG Tampa is no. 11). But Water Country USA is no. 6 for water parks.

I did not know there was a SF Mexico (Mexico City), which had the highest attendance (2.4M) in Latin America.

While Disney's attendance may have decreased I could see an increase with the new additions they are adding to their parks in the next few years. Universal has also made some good additions such as the Harry Potter themed areas that attracted visitors.

Magic Mountain typically has a significantly higher attendance than Great Adventure because they are open year round. Great America usually attracts the same amount of guests as Great Adventure even through they're only open for 6 months.

Sea World Orlando's attendance decline most likely has to do with the Blackfish Documentary that was somewhat against the park. Busch Gardens Williamsburg while not on the top 20 list gets a decent attendance - about the same as its competitor Kings Dominion with about 2-2.5 million visitors annually. The Busch Gardens parks are owned by Sea World.

And Six Flags Mexico is the largest and by far the best park in Latin America which is a factor in attracting 2.5 million. It's also in Mexico City, the largest city in North America, which has a population of 14 million.

And Six Flags Mexico is the largest and by far the best park in Latin America which is a factor in attracting 2.5 million. It's also in Mexico City, the largest city in North America, which has a population of 14 million.

just don't breathe the air or drink the water....LOL

^ The air isn't any worse than any other city. More smoking though and not as bi-lingual as you'd expect/hope.

Yeah, The coasters aren't anything spectacular but the queue lines are incredible cause OSHA doesn't exist in Mexico--- Their Joker goes through an actual funhouse with a turntable, Medusa has like a 5 minute walk through a tilt house. Dark Knight still shows the pre-show (And still "magically" makes you watch it) but there isn't the joker mask screen. Superman has you actually walk through the Daily Planet. The queue line reminds me of Spiderman.

And on the rapids ride, You get Peed On on by statues (Not making this up, there is a boy statue that has his pants down and splashing you with water).

But ironically you can't get free water and they don't have drinking fountains. However you can get soda as a snack.

Oh, they also have a Jaws style shark

Edited by Coaster Justin

• 4 weeks later...

^ The air isn't any worse than any other city. More smoking though and not as bi-lingual as you'd expect/hope.

Yeah, The coasters aren't anything spectacular but the queue lines are incredible cause OSHA doesn't exist in Mexico--- Their Joker goes through an actual funhouse with a turntable, Medusa has like a 5 minute walk through a tilt house. Dark Knight still shows the pre-show (And still "magically" makes you watch it) but there isn't the joker mask screen. Superman has you actually walk through the Daily Planet. The queue line reminds me of Spiderman.

And on the rapids ride, You get Peed On on by statues (Not making this up, there is a boy statue that has his pants down and splashing you with water).

But ironically you can't get free water and they don't have drinking fountains. However you can get soda as a snack.

Oh, they also have a Jaws style shark

I guess they didn't get the Disney PC memo.....