VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Kennywood Removing Log Jammer

Yoshi

https://www.kennywood.com/kennywood-log-jammer-retires

WEST MIFFLIN--As Kennywood's 2017 Summer Season winds down and we look ahead to 2018, we've come to a very hard decision: the Log Jammer will retire at the end of this season.

To celebrate 42 years of our favorite logs, Kennywood invites friends, families and Pittsburgh visitors to enjoy one last ride down the 53-foot drop chute before the summer season comes to an end on September 17.

It's a shame to see such a great log flume removed, especially with the rare uphill section. The rapids and Pittsburgh Plunge can get you soaked and removing the one water ride that doesn't get you soaked seems like a mistake.

3 days notice is not much time for people to get their final rides in either.

I'm shocked to see so many parks removing log flumes like this. They still get long lines and are family favorites. And it's not like they're replacing them with new versions or other water rides. 

I guess the maintenance is costly, but at the same time there's nothing on these rides that should be too hard to replace. The pumps are standard equipment and the fiberglass troughs should be easy enough to repair. The only thing I can think is maybe the logs/boats are costly to replace when they wear out. 

I love the old tyme appeal of a log flume, but I can see parks taking them out in favor of a Schlitterbahn-style water coaster, or taking any wet rides out entirely if they have an adjacent water park.  Bigger, faster, etc. etc. etc.  Thank God for places like Knoebel's. 

Edited by Lemur

I wouldn't be surprised if GA's log flume days are numbered.  Last time I rode it, the trough had significant fiberglass patching at the joints.  The lift sections are jarring bumpy, and many locations along the ride are pretty rough, with the boats bouncing off the walls.  And several times I visited this season, the ride was out of commission.

Edited by dougdrummer

20 minutes ago, dougdrummer said:

I wouldn't be surprised if GA's log flume days are numbered.  Last time I rode it, the trough had significant fiberglass patching at the joints.  The lift sections are jarring bumpy, and many locations along the ride are pretty rough, with the boats bouncing off the walls.  And several times I visited this season, the ride was out of commission.

I somewhat agree with you.  Now the question is, what would replace it.  I feel like it would turn out like the Great Lake Grandstand.

• 2 months later...

Perhaps the new 7 million Euro children’s area will use some of this space.

http://www.lavanguardia.com/vida/20171129/433287512160/parques-reunidos-invertira-55-millones-en-2018-en-renovar-y-ampliar-centros.html

Madrid, November 29 (EFE) .- Parques Reunidos will invest 55 million euros next year in its leisure parks, mainly in renovations and extensions, according to the presentation submitted to the National Securities Market Commission (CNMV).

Among other projects that will invest in next year, include the expansion of Mirabeach (Italy) and a new children's area theme in Kennywood (United States), both with a budget of 7 million.

• 7 months later...

https://patch.com/pennsylvania/pittsburgh/kennywood-finally-set-disclose-new-ride-details

Kennywood Finally Set To Disclose New Ride Details

Months of mystery are about to end as the West Mifflin amusement park will reveal what's going in the Log Jammer space.

By Eric Heyl, Patch Staff | Jul 17, 2018 12:31 pm ET

PITTSBURGH, PA - After months of rumors and speculation, Kennywood finally is set to disclose what its mysterious new ride will be.

Kennywood officials have scheduled a news conference Thursday for the big reveal on the project mysteriously dubbed Project 412 that will debut in 2019. There is strong sentiment that the new attraction will be a mega-sized coaster that will utilize the lagoon, the vacant space formerly occupied by the Log Jammer water ride that was retired last year, and possibly some of the property located behind that space and the Racer that currently is used for storage.

Kennywood has promised that the ride designer will be on hand for the project's official groundbreaking ceremony to take place after the news conference.

The West Mifflin amusement park has teased the project for the past month via an online game and word search puzzle. More than 2,500 contest entries have been received from those attempting to guess exactly what the project will be.

They announced the “Steelers Country” themed area today for Kennywood which will replace Log Jammer.  The roller coaster will be called “Steel Curtain” which apparently refers the the Pittsburgh Steelers good run in the 70s and 80s.  It will feature 9 inversions, will be 220 feet tall and will reach speeds of up to 75 MPH.  It will be manufactured by S&S.nziNsuS.jpg

• Like 1

The coaster looks great. Kennywood could use another coaster with inversions besides Sky Rocket. I really like the idea of an whole area themed to a sports team although I'm not a Steelers fan (I live in Steelers territory even though Pittsburgh is 4 1/2 hours away). It should be really successful in Pittsburgh since Steelers are such a big deal there and Kennywood seems more of a locals park compared to a lot of other parks.

I'd like to see something like this tried locally but I don't think it would work as well with Great Adventure and Dorney both getting so many visitors either New York or Philadelphia sports fans. It would be the same with Hershey and also the addition of Baltimore and Washington D.C. sports fans.

On 7/19/2018 at 11:02 PM, Yoshi said:

The coaster looks great. Kennywood could use another coaster with inversions besides Sky Rocket. I really like the idea of an whole area themed to a sports team although I'm not a Steelers fan (I live in Steelers territory even though Pittsburgh is 4 1/2 hours away). It should be really successful in Pittsburgh since Steelers are such a big deal there and Kennywood seems more of a locals park compared to a lot of other parks.

I'd like to see something like this tried locally but I don't think it would work as well with Great Adventure and Dorney both getting so many visitors either New York or Philadelphia sports fans. It would be the same with Hershey and also the addition of Baltimore and Washington D.C. sports fans.

SFNE has a restaurant called JB's Smokehouse that is themed to all 4 Boston teams even though Connecticut tends to support New York teams especially west of Hartford and New Haven.

Small, local parks seem ideal in having a sports themed area except if they are in a market where they have two professional teams for the same sport such as NYC and LA. A sponsorship with a team can be acceptable too. I could see as park like Worlds of Fun have a Chiefs or Royals themed area as they are a big deal there but not really Six Flag America as they are near the border separating Ravens, O's and Redskins, Nats territory unless they do something related to the Capitals or Wizards.