VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Cedar Fair to Remove Rides

29yrswithaGApass

News Plus Notes did a really nice write up summarizing the less than stellar quarter reported by Cedar Fair.  

One interesting tidbit is that the chain will be looking at how they can save costs and "eliminate rides and attractions that have run their course and are no longer popular." 

Cedar Point already announced their Enterprise ride is on its way out. It will be interesting to see what else goes across the chain.  

Longtime fans of Six Flags may recall we already went through this in the Shapiro years when the park was stripped of way too many rides.  

After Stinger closing this past offseason, I'm going to expect something else gets removed Dorney. I also saw the post mentioned reduced operating hours, I hope they don't reduce Wildwater Kingdom's hours to not be open on weekdays until mid to late June.

Maybe ignoring the smaller parks in the chain is hurting attendance. If I'm a non coaster enthusiast who visits one park a year in this area, I'm probably going to pick Hersheypark or Great Adventure where there is almost always something new being added every year and a much better selection of rides at both of those parks. It will probably be the same for 2019. Major coasters for Canada's Wonderland and Carowinds while Dorney, Valleyfair, Michigan's Adventure and Worlds of Fun will not have had a operating coaster added since 2007 / 2008.

I am expecting a lot of new grass added for 2019 and 2020 across Cedar Fair parks.

It was an interesting call, Cedar Fair executives came off as being stubborn and unwilling to implement a new strategy.  Almost every question from analysts was about mirroring an existing Six Flags strategy (lower capex to 9%, additions at every park every year, offering memberships, international licensing, adding new parks).  One analyst said this was the third summer in a row where Cedar Fair claimed the weather was bad in the summer and asked why they didn't have any growth stategies to hedge against weather like Six Flags.  Even Seaworld is adding cheaper new rides to every park next year and saw success with new events this year.

Personally, I think they need to buy a park or two in Mexico that can be operated year round and buy a park in Texas or Florida (maybe Seaworld San Antonio or Busch Tampa) that can be open most of the year.  Knott's is having a record year and was one of the positive points on the call.

For years now, Dorney has no longer printed their hours. Only listing hours on their website where they can be easily changed. I don't knos about other CF parks, but Dorney's operations have been declining which could be hurting their attendance. 

This is the type of thing that drives me crazy, when companies change direction with new management and undo any ground or progress they have made with their initiatives.

It was just a couple of years ago that Cedar Fair CEO said that they were seeking to roundup classic style rides around the globe to introduce into their parks given their nostalgic value.  Now they are doing the complete opposite like removing their Enterprise ride at Cedar Point.  I am sure many of the chain's other older rides will vanish.

12 hours ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

This is the type of thing that drives me crazy, when companies change direction with new management and undo any ground or progress they have made with their initiatives.

It was just a couple of years ago that Cedar Fair CEO said that they were seeking to roundup classic style rides around the globe to introduce into their parks given their nostalgic value.  Now they are doing the complete opposite like removing their Enterprise ride at Cedar Point.  I am sure many of the chain's other older rides will vanish.

I think that's just because Cedar Point is landlocked

• 6 months later...
On 8/11/2018 at 12:32 PM, Pineracer said:

I think that's just because Cedar Point is landlocked

1. Cedar Point is literally on a point of land extending into Lake Erie, so this is factually incorrect.

2. What the hell would that have to do with a managerial change in direction?  This comment doesn't even make any sense.

On 2/21/2019 at 3:22 PM, 29yrswithaGApass said:

Canada's Wonderland Orbiter ride has been removed and is up for sale HERE.

After Cedar Point removed their Enterprise, I guess it is safe to assume that the chain is no longer pursuing shopping for older classic flat rides as was once the corporate plan.

That's disappointing, as nostalgia is a great marketing point and can be a cost effective way to boost ridership.  But unless you can do an entire section of nothing but and offer it in more than one or two classic rides, it's a tough selling point.  It's slightly disappointing that they didn't learn the lessons of their last corporate bankruptcy and seem flummoxed by how to handle the downturn in attendance in a cost-effective manner.  

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...