VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Misc GA Mumblings

Up_Up_and_Away

• 4 weeks later...

That's sounds like an appropriate job for Mark Shapiro. Then again, he may be under qualified for that.

Mark was personally responsible for the NHL's decision to leave ESPN. There are many people in Bristol still glad to see him gone.

Edited by Thunderbolt

I am glad Shapiro is gone too, I never liked him from the start. I can remember how 5 years ago most of the GAdv fan boards were gushing all over him, and anyone who spoke ill of him was shouted down with gang flaming. Most GAdv fans really thought he was the second coming for the chain back then and that he could do no wrong. I wonder if any of those people still feel the same about him now.

Edited by The Master

• 2 weeks later...

Last couple of times I rode Nitro, I noticed that under Batman's station is an open crate containing 2D cityscape brackground pieces. I wonder if those are the ones meant for Dark Knight?

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting tidbit... this is the first season since 2000 that a ride (regular and/or kiddie) has not been removed from Great Adventure!

I just thought of TURBO BUNGY, but that might not be considered a real ride.

By the way, who was behind removing all of those rides; someone in the national Six Flags headquarters or the park president?

• 3 weeks later...

The new security checkpoints was a real mess yesterday, (Tuesday). They only had two open and people were cutting into line constantly. There was one girl in front of me who at the last minute let 8 of her friends cut into the line. Then there was this large man who walked up to ask one of the guards a question, then he cut into line right behind me. It ended up taking me 15 minutes to get though security and this was at 6:00 PM, hardly rush hour. I can see fights starting from this mess, GAdv needs to set up ropes for their security lines like the Philly airport does.

GADV got the brunt of it from Shapiro, at the time everyone thought it would be great that GADV was the new flagship park and whould be the trial park for his new (often inane) ideas but I knew it wasn't going to turn out great. After what happened with Chiller he became gung ho about removing older rides but not about replacing them with new ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Animal activists decry goose death at Great Adventure

Animal activists cried foul over a move by ride operators at Six Flags Great Adventure that killed a goose Sunday.A Canada goose landed on a conveyer belt that moves rafts for the theme park's Congo Rapids. A ride operator tried to coerce the goose to fly away, but it would not move, said Nicole Cora of Southington, Conn., who witnessed the ordeal.

A staff member then decided to continue operating the ride, and the conveyer belt trapped and killed the goose as witnesses, including children, looked on, Cora said.

Rachel Ogden of GooseWatch NJ, which is devoted to the humane treatment of geese, said members of the group were "disturbed and saddened" by the event.

"Six Flags needs to develop procedures that respect the lives of animals caught in its rides, while taking into account the safety of its adult and child guests," she said in a statement. "We will be filing a request with the USDA (U.S. Department of Agriculture) for an investigation into this incident."

The Department of Agriculture oversees conservation efforts of many migratory bird species.

Six Flags spokeswoman Kristin Siebeneicher defended the decision of ride operators, and said stopping Congo Rapids would have put passengers in danger. In an emergency stop, rafts loaded with passengers would be flushed into the ride's reservoir, and guests would have to be evacuated by rope, she said.

Susan Addelston of the Jackson Animal Welfare Committee said the decision to run the ride put profits at risk, not theme park patrons.

"Seems that if the park operators were truly concerned about conservation they would have hit the control to release all of the boats, then tried to free the goose that was caught," she said.

But Siebeneicher said efforts were made to aid the fowl.

"While ensuring our guests' safety, we made every effort to save the geese, which numbered between 20 and 30 in and around the ride," said Siebeneicher. "All but one were safely relocated to the Prospertown Lake area."

Though geese have posed little problem in the past, the birds have come onto the theme park's property since August, 2011, Siebeneicher said. That month, Hurricane Irene caused a break in a spillway that emptied Prospertown Lake. The geese have since searched Six Flags grounds for other water sources, the spokeswoman said.

"We determined that the situation was handled properly, although it is very unfortunate that a goose was lost," Siebeneicher said.

Animal rights activists said more could have been done to save the animal.

"This was a tragic incident and it could have been avoided if human goose control measures, which are clearly needed here, were implemented," said Kristin Simon, a senior cruelty caseworker for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, or PETA, which is based in Norfolk, Va.

Simon said the park could employ goose scare tactics, such as motion sensors, scare crows or Mylar streamers to frighten away geese. Placing dense vegetation around water sources also makes it difficult for geese to land and nest, she said.

Matt Stanton, spokesman of the New Jersey Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, said no one had filed a complaint or called the NJSPCA hotline either Sunday or Monday about the incident. The NJSPCA investigates many cases of animal abuse reported in the state.

"As far as I know, we've never even been to Great Adventure," said Stanton, who added he has worked for NJSPCA for at least eight. "They run a safari. They tend to take care of their animals."

Courier Post

• <br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

Edited by RideOfSteel