VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Misc GA Mumblings

Up_Up_and_Away

I would love to know how much money is saved by rotating coasters from one park to another vs. designing and building ones from scratch.

Let's just say for argument's sake a new coaster cost $10M from start to finish. How much does it cost to dissemble an existing ride, pack it up, ship it across the country, build new foundations, reassemble the steel and build loading and queue areas? Is it only half of the $10M cost? For some reason I think it would be more than that, since you still have a lot of labor involved with dissembling and reassembling the coaster. And shipping of all those components cannot be cheap.

There has to be some savings, but I'm not sure it's all that much. I think it is more about SF being able to move the rides around once they wear out their welcome (or having technical problems), as opposed to cost savings.

The only dollar amount I ever heard was in regards to SFA's Wild One back when it was taken from Boston.Supposedly Wild One was bought for only $50,000;after they moved it,fixed/repainted it and rebuild it the total was around $1 million.Back then(1986) a coaster of similar size would have easily been $3 or 4 million brand new.

On opening day i saw the parallax from Green Lantern from the top of Nitro. Didn't really get a good view but it was clearly there. Can anyone take a look right before you go into the drop on Nitro this weekend?

I would love to know how much money is saved by rotating coasters from one park to another vs. designing and building ones from scratch.

Let's just say for argument's sake a new coaster cost $10M from start to finish. How much does it cost to dissemble an existing ride, pack it up, ship it across the country, build new foundations, reassemble the steel and build loading and queue areas? Is it only half of the $10M cost? For some reason I think it would be more than that, since you still have a lot of labor involved with dissembling and reassembling the coaster. And shipping of all those components cannot be cheap.

There has to be some savings, but I'm not sure it's all that much. I think it is more about SF being able to move the rides around once they wear out their welcome (or having technical problems), as opposed to cost savings.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2012/05/20/the-ups-and-downs-roller-coaster-installation/eHY8bQpdg6tOqau9raOnRJ/story.html

"It was much cheaper for Six Flags Entertainment Corp., based in Grand Prairie, Texas, to move Goliath to Agawam rather than build a new roller coaster. Designed as an inverted boomerang by the Netherlands company Vekoma, Déjà Vu cost $20 million to build in 2001, and $7 million to disassemble, transport, and reassemble as Goliath."

On opening day i saw the parallax from Green Lantern from the top of Nitro. Didn't really get a good view but it was clearly there. Can anyone take a look right before you go into the drop on Nitro this weekend?

It's been there for a few years.

From Sept. 2014:

XYwos6V.jpg

Anyone know when the joker and zumanjaro will be open? When I was at the park opening day zumanjaro was testing all day but the joker didn't even have any trains on the track and there was wiring everywhere.

Zumanjaro is open today.

• Like 1

So what's the deal with Joker then? It wasn't open last Sunday either, and no one was working on it. I wonder if this is going to be another ride that is out of service frequently.

It was closed today too. It probably either has to do with windy weather or maintenance delay.

I don't remember seeing anything written here about loose articles. Has there been any changes in the policy? Is it still zipper pockets?

There are now security checkpoints at the entrance of El Toro and Kingda Ka. Phones and keys are prohibited from being brought into their queue lines.

There are now security checkpoints at the entrance of El Toro and Kingda Ka. Phones and keys are prohibited from being brought into their queue lines.

Really? I was at the park on opening day and I didn't see any checkpoints. Do they force you to buy a locker now? I always put my phone in a zippered pocket and I've never had a problem.

Really? I was at the park on opening day and I didn't see any checkpoints. Do they force you to buy a locker now? I always put my phone in a zippered pocket and I've never had a problem.

They do force guests to buy lockers however I saw like three guests sneak their phone into the line for Kingda Ka. I believe today was the first day the checkpoints are enforced.

I guess the park didn't have much of a choice. It's really annoying how many people insist on taking their phones out on rides and then even after being told to put the phone away, 5 seconds later they take the phone out again. I always wear either zipper pocket shorts or a jacket with zipper pockets and it's a shame those that can't follow the rules had to ruin it for everyone.

I wonder what they are going to do on really crowded days like a Fright Fest. There aren't enough lockers for a 3 or 4 hour line if almost everyone is using them even if a group or family all use the same locker.

• Like 1

They do force guests to buy lockers however I saw like three guests sneak their phone into the line for Kingda Ka. I believe today was the first day the checkpoints are enforced.

Oh that really sucks. Last Sunday I rode ET 5 times with my keys on a carabiner. Guess it may also be the last time I ride ET, not going to rent a locker for it or KK. This is basically a pay as you ride setup, despite being paid admission. SF is just using smartphones as an excuse to charge people to ride their rides now, another shameless money grab. Edited by The Master

I'll be keeping my stuff in my pockets and just saying no when they ask if I have anything in them. I have zippered pockets and I'm not even worried about. Unless they start using wands or metal detectors this will just be a half ass attempt at trying to get people to keep all their stuff in a locker.

They really need to make lockers free for people to use. It's ridiculous that if you have something like a phone or keys (which almost everyone going probably has one or the other) they would force you to spend money to buy a locker.

Considering you have to pay for a locker, I think the majority of people are just going to sneak their phone on the ride. If they really wanted to prevent people from taking out their phones then they would make the lockers free. I know they do that at Hershey for skyrush.

So do they just ask you if you have your phone or keys and nothing else?

Considering you have to pay for a locker, I think the majority of people are just going to sneak their phone on the ride. If they really wanted to prevent people from taking out their phones then they would make the lockers free. I know they do that at Hershey for skyrush.

So do they just ask you if you have your phone or keys and nothing else?

Yes, that's the only thing they ask guests. When I was there yesterday , most guests actually followed the rules even though they had some poor behavior.

I guess I won't be riding Zumanjaro much this season if it has VR.

https://www.facebook.com/coastercrew/posts/1031619096971706

Out of all the rides they can put vr on I think Zumanjaro is one of the worst. In my opinion Bizarro makes a lot more sense. When I ride Zumanjaro I like to enjoy the view from the top and vr kind of ruins it. I mean I could always ride without vr but still.

Out of all the rides they can put vr on I think Zumanjaro is one of the worst. In my opinion Bizarro makes a lot more sense. When I ride Zumanjaro I like to enjoy the view from the top and vr kind of ruins it. I mean I could always ride without vr but still.

I don't get it either, you have the tallest drop tower in the world which has an amazing view. I don't get why anyone would prefer to ride with virtual reality instead. I could understand all this VR stuff a lot more if the graphics didn't absolutely stink. They seriously don't look any better than a Playstation 2 game.

• Like 1