VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Misc GA Mumblings

Up_Up_and_Away

I have doubts the park will open this weekend. Now they are saying the second storm on Wed is going to be really bad with 8 inches of snow expected. If that much falls, most of it will last into the weekend as the temps will be well below normal with subfreezing nights and another snowstorm is expected this Sunday. 

It's a shame the weather was bad to end last season and now to start this season but I think you might be right and they may not open. With HITP there might have been more of a chance of crowds showing up if the weather was cold and still some now around. Opening weekend probably wasn't going to be that crowded to begin with, even if weather was ok.

I guess next year opening day will be later as Easter is April 21st.

They just upped the totals to 8 to 12 inches now, the storm predictions keep getting worse. The park would have to do a lot of snow clearing if they open this weekend. That is if there are not major power outages which took weeks to fix with the last storm. Plus there is more snow forecasted on Sunday. The long term forecasts Easter weekend to be in the low 50s and rainy, but I would not be surprised if it downgrades again to the 40s and snow Which seems to be the pattern for this month.

What is happening is there is a long term blocking high over Greenland that is making the Northeast colder than normal and they expect this pattern of colder weather to last through April and maybe into May. We probably have about 2 to 3 more weeks of winter like weather left. Generally the weather here does not even start to turn nice until mid to late April and its often a slow process with many relapses. 

Edited by The Master

Then at the last minute it moves east or the temperatures rise and it becomes rain.  Nine out of ten times I think the weathermen get paid to hype these things up for ratings. 

I'll say it again, the FCC should require the weather forecasters to display a number in the bottom righthand corner of the screen which represents their accuracy rating.  If the channel has a 26% accuracy displayed, you may want to find another channel!

2 hours ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

Then at the last minute it moves east or the temperatures rise and it becomes rain.  Nine out of ten times I think the weathermen get paid to hype these things up for ratings. 

I'll say it again, the FCC should require the weather forecasters to display a number in the bottom righthand corner of the screen which represents their accuracy rating.  If the channel has a 26% accuracy displayed, you may want to find another channel!

I don't think they get paid to hype, but I think they get fired if they blow the forecasts badly on the side of public danger (i.e. totally miss the call on an area getting dumped on and experiencing life-threatening conditions), which is why so many have taken to showing the different forecasting computer models.  I also think there are only a few true meteorologists left in the business willing to put their neck on the line and put out their own forecast and analysis.

As of this noon, 6ABC said 3 of the 4 models indicated high snowfall amounts. Probably looking at half a foot or more. March is a highly volatile month, some years spring comes early, others its late, sadly this is a very late year. Around here, March is early for a park to open. Watch, next year when the park opens later, March will be nice. My big concern is if any more tree limbs fall they may strike my house or other things. Bad thing about March is the heavy wet snow.  They said the first storm this month dumped more snow than the normal whole snow average for March.

Does anyone know what days the large Jewish groups will be at the park during the week after Easter? Hopefully the weather will be better than this by then. 

Thanks Yoshi. They upped the snow amount in my area to over a foot now. If that much falls I will have bigger concerns than going to a theme park, like just being abls to go anywhere period. 

Edited by The Master

3 hours ago, Yoshi said:

Monday April 2nd, Tuesday April 3rd, Wednesday April 4th.

Tuesday the 3rd is probably going to be the most crowded of those days since there is a concert that day.

http://www.ncsygreatadventure.com/

Will it still be very crowded on the 2nd and 4th?

I would think Monday would be crowded but not as bad as Tuesday. Besides most NJ and NYC schools closed, some PA schools like Philadelphia school district also have Monday off (and Thursday and Friday of the previous week as well). 

Most of the snow should be gone by the weekend with temps in the 40s and the March sun angle will help a lot too, but I can see why they moved it

On 3/20/2018 at 1:18 PM, 29yrswithaGApass said:

I think it's more that they don't want to downplay the situation. It's much better to be prepared for the worst than to think it won't be bad and it ends up being a deadly storm. Being a meteorologist is a really hard job because there so are so many factors that change a forecast and one very small change can make or break it. 

Despite the melting I still have half a foot of snow on the ground. The refreezing at night is going to slow the melting down. I suppose one issuse is snow build up on the coaster tracks as that would be hard to remove manually and likely slower melting as the tracks would be similar to road bridges which freeze sooner and melt slower. 

Edited by The Master

I'm definitely going to the park on Friday for opening day. I've never actually been to opening day so I'm excited. I just upgraded my membership to Diamond Elite, got dining, and reserved my parking for Friday. They seem very strict about to preferred parking which is good. I believe it said you have to reserve no later than 5 am the day off, and you can't cancel after 9 am the day of. It also noted that if you don't cancel and don't show up to use it, you may be blocked from the privilege for a time.