VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

2020 Themed Entertainment Association Attendance Numbers

29yrswithaGApass

Wow, their numbers seem WAY off! Disney almost definitely underperformed Universal and even SeaWorld and Busch Gardens last year. They kept much lower caps on attendance and were closed a month longer than the others.  I guess they kept the previous year's rankings and just added this year's attendance, which makes no sense. And Disneyland was closed for 9 months with attendance down for the first 3 months as the Covid scare began. I can't believe Hershey got those kind of numbers either...

• Like 1

Hershey was limited to 50% capacity last year (except possibly towards the end of the year they might have allowed 75%) and other than a few Saturday's in the fall last year where they reached capacity, crowds were very low even with a new coaster opening. There's no way they got around 50% of their normal attendance when they were only on daily operations from July 1st - Labor Day and then the weekends up until the first weekend of January since it would have meant they were at capacity or close to capacity almost every day they were open.

It makes absolutely no sense that they would even bother to publish this report for 2020, with almost all of the various data points used as input completely unstable versus their 2019 report.  And, the logic of keeping rankings frozen at 2019 levels while still reporting attendance levels for parks that had operating days and reported attendance, is just very bad statistical reporting and tracking.  But, we have known for sometime now that these reports are no longer based on actual attendance figures obtained solely from the parks and reported to TEA.  TEA uses some algorithm to, at best, guestimate actual attendance figures based on inputs such as figures reported by the parks, reputation for reporting accurate data, actual weather and economic conditions, etc.  Like most trade associations, TEA has better information on some parks/companies than others and their confidence in park/company data, I have to believe, varies greatly for each company/park.  I would think that their attendance figures most years, at best are based on a 90% confidence level versus actual attendance.  Obviously, only management at all of the parks knows how close these reported figures are to actual final attendance counts.  Just my personal opinion, but all of the attendance figures in this report are significantly more questionable than any of the data reported in prior TEA reports and I think everyone has been quick to notice it.