VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Rotor

GAcoaster

Great spotlight!

I always thought it was a high thrill ride. I didn't ride Typhoon until I was 15! I stopped riding it when by the time we were spoiled in '99, but by the summer of 2002, I rediscovered Taz and had allot of fun on it for a few more seasons.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I have respect for Time Warner for moving the ride when they decided a new ride would take it's location. The same could be said for Bally's. Attendance figures being what they are, it must have added to the good karma!

I was trained for the ride at a time when an operator and an attendant were required to work the ride together. I only worked there for a half a morning, but I think it would have never gotten old to work. Watching people's reaction before, on and after the ride was priceless. It was fun to work as El Sombrero and Rodeo Sombrero. Working Tango, no.

I rode Canobie and SFMM's version, where the floor drops a few feet further. Everybody seemed to have a great time and it was allot of fun for me to experience. SFMM got rid of theirs because it's a family ride, but this spotlight makes me want to go to Lake Compunce and ride their model.

My parents used to call this ride the Hell Hole. Are there any locations that anybody knows of that actually called the ride by that name?

Great spotlight as always guys. While I was never a big fan of the ride, it is one I will always remember of my trips to the park. It seemingly always made me sick when I would go on it as Typhoon, yet I would keep on riding figuring one day that might actually change. It certainly got a decent amount of use in the park, and it's unfortunate that the time came that it was no longer feasible to keep it running with minimal repair costs. Nice number two selection for the summer spotlights :)

My parents used to call this ride the Hell Hole. Are there any locations that anybody knows of that actually called the ride by that name?

The ride on the Steeplechase Pier in Atlantic City use to be called The Hell Hole. I remember it had a huge devil on the front that reached out towards the crowd. It is the red and blue building in the photo below:

080805ACNJPier.jpg

One of my favorite (and sickest) Great Adventure memories of the Rotor occurred in the early 80s when the ride was located on the FreeFall site. Me and three of my friends got on the ride, two of us on each side of the barrel. In between our two groups were about six other people. We started spinning really fast and the floor dropped as usual. After about two minutes the guy next to my friend across from us got sick, tilted his head to the side and proceeded to vomit. You can only imagine how puke looked under the centrifugal force! Well, the puke starts working its way around the wall headed towards my friend in slow motion. If that wasn't funny enough, the look of my friend and his strained desire to move along the wall in the opposite direction was priceless! Luckily for him, the ride slowed down and he was able to peel himself from the wall to escape being splattered. :puke::Horror:

If they only had on-ride photos for that one!

^Wow now that would certainly what I would consider a Hell Hole :). Thankfully neither myself or any friends ever got sick on the ride, but the time I remember the most was us eating at one of the places nearby, and then getting on the ride right after before we really experienced the ride before. Well none of us could find a garbage can fast enough after that one, but we thankfully all recovered to enoy the day! If I remember correctly this was around the second year of Batman: The Ride and we were determined to still ride the coaster after the debacle :)

I have a pretty good story about the Rotor as well. Back years ago when my parents were dating they went to the park often. So during the one and only ride on the Rotor a man directly across from my mother got sick and his vomit went flying and only missed her head by an inch. So they never rode it again after that and I never rode it after hearing that story so many times, LOL. The Rotor's sprit must still be living on in that section of the park because when I rode El Toro last Monday it's exit walkway was lined with vomit, sawdust piles.

Edited by The Master

I always rememberd the Hell Hole being in Wildwood. I'm not saying your wrong Harry (since you have a pic. to prove it) could their possibly have been two of them? And I have an old issue of Weird N.J. that say's Wildwood had a Hell Hole ride. Sorry for the quality of the pic. I really need to invest in a scanner.

*R*

gallery_208_401_9394.jpg

Edited by Railer

• 4 weeks later...

I had a guest ask me yesterday where the taz twister was, apparently they rode it last year in movietown and it was a great ride?! So I couldnt help but at least giggle. And I had to "break the news" to them that the ride was in what was hernandos hideaway and was removed in 05. Another funny part is they didnt belive me that it was removed. Yea, weird people...

• 4 years later...
  • 3 years later...

I dont know if im going crazy or not but back in 1979 I vividly remember a promotion sign for rotor to see how who could last the longest on the ride until theres one person left and you would win something , dont know if this is true or not or just me tripping my balls off after getting of RT (best feeling ever) anyone know if this is true or not?

I dont know if im going crazy or not but back in 1979 I vividly remember a promotion sign for rotor to see how who could last the longest on the ride until theres one person left and you would win something , dont know if this is true or not or just me tripping my balls off after getting of RT (best feeling ever) anyone know if this is true or not?

I went there in 1979 for a class trip and this sounds familiar. I remember several people getting sick on the rotor, and then the vomit just stuck to you. As a teen I could ride the Rotor, but in later years I couldn't handle the spinning effect without getting dizzy and almost passing out.

Edited by dougdrummer

I think you are right. I seem to remember that little promotion they had. I'm not entirely positive, but if you lasted the longest, you got something like a free coupon redeemable for a drink or the arcade. For the record, I never won anything. While I liked the Rotor, it wasn't exactly one of my favorite rides. I rode it once per visit on average. I liked its original location in Fun Fair, next to the Enterprise.

Back when GA first opened I worked the '75 season and if your were knew in the fun fair, it wasent so fun for you because all the new kids got stuck with the rotor and that also applied to cleaning the throw up of hot dog,soda and popcorn and how much i cleaned it, that smell would stick in the ride and my cloths would smell until the end of the week when I got my check to wash my cloths, did nothing. Ended up buying a new uniform and for all of the '75 season i was stuck in the fun fair operating rotor,troika,matterhorn,swiss bob and enterprise. All of which i would have to clean if i oporated them. And all of 1975 i kept saying "im not oporating the jet" and im grateful it didnt open. After the '75 season i worked at the park until 1984 when i got into a fist fight with a geust after he grabbed my girlfriends "behind" after my shift ended. Even longer story....

Back when GA first opened I worked the '75 season and if your were knew in the fun fair, it wasent so fun for you because all the new kids got stuck with the rotor and that also applied to cleaning the throw up of hot dog,soda and popcorn and how much i cleaned it, that smell would stick in the ride and my cloths would smell until the end of the week when I got my check to wash my cloths, did nothing. Ended up buying a new uniform and for all of the '75 season i was stuck in the fun fair operating rotor,troika,matterhorn,swiss bob and enterprise. All of which i would have to clean if i oporated them. And all of 1975 i kept saying "im not oporating the jet" and im grateful it didnt open. After the '75 season i worked at the park until 1984 when i got into a fist fight with a geust after he grabbed my girlfriends "behind" after my shift ended. Even longer story....

I never really thought about the staff that had to clean up all the puke. Yikes!