VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Red dive machine track

southview2

I couldnt find a thread about this but I think I remember one, but anyways. In a recent ariel update at KIcentral (3 pages worth) The first page is of the ohio fabrication plant. And as pointed about by screamscape and by common sense, there are 2 types of track on the ground, B&M hyper track AND alot of B&M dive machine track. So it was brought to my attention by someone at another sight that the pictures from months ago that everyone went crazy about were old because pieces of led zeppelin the ride were still there, well these photos are new and now we have conformation that there is still dive machine track there and that it wasnt shipped overseas to build vertical coaster. Now all they have to do is ship it to GADV and ill be content. :D

Now all they have to do is ship it to GADV and ill be content.

I know the park doesn't need one because the park has six 54" coasters and one of them is a top-rail floorless coaster with inversions. What SFGAdv gets is altogether different. If they do build it, they could call it Insanity: Building the same coaster and expecting a different result. If they do it, what would they have to build in two more years to make you feel content?

Edited by darkridedan

I don't need any "ride" to make me complete. And I quess you were unhappy with El Toro since we already had a wood coaster. And a floorless and a Dive Machine are completely diffrent in my book.

Edited by Railer

I would be all for the Dive Machine coming to the park, but I'm not so sure we would be first in line for one in the chain considering other parks could use a new coaster more than us I am sure. Look at SFNE for instance. They lost TDK for this year due to construction issues, so they would most likely be looking at a coaster before us. But we can never say never I suppose :)

Gotta agree with Dainan there. I would be perfectly happy to see some nicely themed flats and shows come into the park to fill some unused spaces and theatres to realy fill the park out. Right now I would compare the park to a rising young athletes. It has all the tools and potential to be amazing, but just needs to fill out a bit to be the complete package :)

A few mainstream rides like those that were built at the park in the 70's, 80's and up to (and not including) the late 90's would make me happy. When Six Flags sprinkled in kiddie and high thrill rides amongst many new mainstream rides, it made Great Adventure one of the top 5 most attended parks in the U.S. And like you said Chris, it would make the park feel complete.

How do we know it's not for us? Someone is getting a new Dive Machine, somewhere. And it was a rumor that Six Flags was getting one for either us or SFNE. Don't give up hope yet, cause you never know. ;)

The rumor is either SFGAdv or SFGAm (not SFNE) could get a dive coaster.

Edited by The Master

The rumor is either SFGAdv or SFGAm (not SFNE) could get a dive coaster.

Yes, that is the rumor, but unless one of those parks is also getting triple or quadruple the funding of the others for new attractions, I wouldn't count on it. We won't see a new B&M coaster added to a Six Flags for a few more years. A used one, maybe, but not a brand new one...they just don't have that kind of money.

Everyone wants flats and no coaster. And everyone is talking about the whole "79","89", and "99" thing. Did we all forget that in "99" we did not just recieve flats, we got a coaster. Thats what I want to happen this year. Flats and a B&M DM, but thats what I want and wish we could get but im not getting my hopes up until I hear some more news.

And btw: If we were to get something, when would track start to arrive in the employee parking lot? my guess is in september.

Edited by southview2

I just hope that GAdv adds some good, new family (not kiddie) flats, I know I am getting tired of more rides being removed than are being replaced. Now is still not a good time for a new big coaster.

Edited by The Master

I think we all know the park needs flats more than anything else right now. But the bottom line is flat's don't bring people to the park, coaster's do. If something like the War On Lines were done again then maybe you could advertise for it, but you can't waste advertising dollars for a couple of new flat's. My opinion is we will get a new coaster or a MAJOR ride and a couple of flat's. One thing I have noticed since Mr. Kane and his team took over is they do listen to us all, and address issues as they come along. They want quest's opinion's and they listen to what we have to say. So I really think we will get a couple of new flat's and I seem to have a hunch we will get a Tony Hawk coaster next year, and and a Dive Machine the following year, In the Old Country area. Now one thing I do remember hearing about this year was the park applied for a permit to do a land reclamation project on the western side of the property. Something like that is for something big, not small, and since they got the permit for it this year and not next, something will begin in the Fall. So in a few weeks I think we will all start getting some sign's of whatever is coming.

*R*

Edited by Railer

The park needs to focus on "everybody," and adding too many family rides at once could be just as bad as adding yet another thrill coaster. The War on Lines was a bad idea for the park because Six Flags wouldn't need to add another family ride for years, although of course, they should have replaced some of the rides after their removal. I believe spreading the addition of new rides over a long period of time would be best.

What hardware is missing from the park are a few standards like a scrambler and a soak-you-wet ride and staples like the swing ride, bumper cars, and dark rides. It would be beneficial for the park to slip in a few of these rides a.s.a.p, (as long as they can afford them.) Any other rides could be spread out through the rest of the life span of the park.

If new rides are going to be treated like a prostitute on the corner, the park needs to put different girls on the corner to lure those with different tastes and do it over a period of time. Spice is the variety. But, I don't see why a park should be 'tricking' people to the park by putting all their efforts on new coasters, all the time. A park should be a welcoming experience to everybody.

This park did it's best in the early '80's when attendance was above 3 million and in most of the '90's when the attendance reached 3.6 million. Penn Central and Time Warner made sure to keep the employees happy, midways clean, everything freshly painted and maintained a balance of mild and high-thrill attractions. Red Zone has been working on these first two objectives. Achieving the third and fourth have been put off and will continue to be difficult if they spend all of their revenue on new coasters (all of the time.)

Parks that are the most attended are owned by Disney, Universal and Busch. They are the cleanest, the greenest, and the famly-friendliest. Great Adventure can win these objectives and win back more guests and help it's parent company.

Although people on the boards may come to the park (just) for the coasters, many people come for the whole experience. The attendance wouldn't have dropped off as much as it did (3.4mill in '97/ 2.7mill in '07) after the addition of 9 new coasters in the past 10 years. The attendance wouldn't have been affected by the removal of 15 spin rides, 5 other non-coaster rides and the closure of 3 main show venues if everybody came just for the coasters.

If the "new coaster every two years" approach really worked, Six Flags wouldn't be in the financial situation it is in now. This foundation was built on the sands of a small demographic, rather than the solid rock of the taste of everybody. Anotherwards, satisfying only the niche of the coaster lovers was a pipe dream in a world where everything went right. However, this world has been plagued by 9-11, problematic coasters, under performing parks and the economy in the past ten years.

New coasters can be built to get people in the doors (and give them reasons to tell their friends that they had a great time.) Word-of-mouth works best. However, it can backfire. People told their friends and family about the closure and removal of many rides, the bad employees and the run down feel of the park, and people began staying away. It will take a while to filter the negative (but true) word-of-mouth to win people back. People can be lured into the park, but if they are unhappy about their experience, they don't have to come back. That is why the "Marketing runs Great Adventure" approach didn't work. Print and on-air ads have been cut in the Philly market drastically since the days of Gary Story. The park is now building on a positive guest EXPERIENCE so guests will have something positive to pass on to their friends and family.

There are lots of parks that survive on word-of-mouth alone. Knoebels is a great example. How many people have ever heard of it? It's one of the busiest and one of the top award-winning family amusement parks in the country and it's located right outside of the Philly market. I've never seen a commercial for it.

Six Flags and Great Adventure are trying to build a brand based on the experience of the guest, and not the hardware that may have brought a few guests in the doors. The recent-past hardware has not even brought in an increasing amount of guests year to year; They have only weeded out other demographics by only adding extreme coasters while moderate rides were removed three fold. How many people who love Batman (added in '93) don't love Medusa ('99), Nitro ('01,) Kingda Ka ('05) and El Toro ('06?) The same thrill-loving coaster teens and enthusiasts are going to come to the park because the coasters are not going anywhere. We're here and posting about the park now. It's people who are more comfortable with rides like Big Wheel, Log Flume and Sky Ride (added in '74) and Congo Rapids ('81) and all of those flat rides (added mostly in '75 and '99) that need to hear about positive experiences so that they can come have a Great Adventure.

A dive coaster is a fun ride, but I think it would be best if the park and Six Flags waited until they worked on the reasons why EVERYBODY comes to the parks. I hope they wait until they can really afford to build it. They shouldn't continue to gamble their revenues that THIS coaster is the one that will bring in the masses. The best place for a dive coaster right now is Williamsburg, VA.

Edited by darkridedan

I think we all know the park needs flats more than anything else right now. But the bottom line is flat's don't bring people to the park, coaster's do. If something like the War On Lines were done again then maybe you could advertise for it, but you can't waste advertising dollars for a couple of new flat's. My opinion is we will get a new coaster or a MAJOR ride and a couple of flat's. One thing I have noticed since Mr. Kane and his team took over is they do listen to us all, and address issues as they come along. They want quest's opinion's and they listen to what we have to say. So I really think we will get a couple of new flat's and I seem to have a hunch we will get a Tony Hawk coaster next year, and and a Dive Machine the following year, In the Old Country area. Now one thing I do remember hearing about this year was the park applied for a permit to do a land reclamation project on the western side of the property. Something like that is for something big, not small, and since they got the permit for it this year and not next, something will begin in the Fall. So in a few weeks I think we will all start getting some sign's of whatever is coming.

*R*

What exactly is a land reclamation?

That was SF's mistake by adding new big coasters every two years in their parks, look at how many coasters just SFGAdv and SFMM got in the 90s and early 2000s let alone the other SF parks. They almost ruined themselves because of it and it will be years before they are fully recovered. And while SF were building their new coasters they let flats rides, water rides, midways, and even let their older coasters deteriorate because they were only focused on building the next new coasters. Then all these coasters mainly brought in the yahoo types that behave so bad they chased out the GP and gave SF a bad rap for years.