VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Schwabinchen

29yrswithaGApass

This was another of my favorite rides as a little kid. I don't remember the Busty Lady, I remember it from the time it had the "ball" on top. Another ride that I wish my kids could experience for themself's. It was a very fun ride, that really gave you Butterflies in your stomach during the ride cycle. I remember the year the Spider Of Doom was in it's spot, and I quess it was a little late for this ride. It was a fun Family ride that is missed, by all those that remember it. Great Spotlight as always, Top notch work.

They started putting this ride back into the park mid season 1993 and I remember when I first saw the parts on the site and could actually determine what it was going to be. I remember standing there amazed saying "Holy Sh!t, that's the Swabinchin ride!". Of course I then held out hope that it might be possible that all those great flat rides that had been removed may actually just have been put in storage and were "available" for reinstallation. After being MIA for six years and then to have the ride reappear... anything was possible. Unfortunately, this was the only ride to have made it out of the boneyard. I keep hoping that the Super Side Winder is in that big white storage building! :P

Nothing quite compares to a ride carrying an enormous King King Sized Sombrero on it. Though I was never too into this ride, I can recall being on in numerous times during visits to the park and enjoying those times. I think my problem was that with the Musik Express they seemed like very similar rides to a degree and I enjoyed Express more. Still though a fun ride that is surely missed in today's GA Flat shortage.

For some reason I remember this about this ride....

When you were seated, you could easily reach towards the center and touch the light bulbs the adorned the ride itself. Unfortunately, guests would unscrew the bulbs and take them as souvenirs, but the real danger became all those empty sockets which guests could stick their fingers in. (Some guests aren't too swift!)

Ultimately, the bulbs were covered with a plastic sleeve, at least up to the point where they couldn't be reached. The two photos below show the lights before (with several bulbs missing) and after (with the plastic covers).

Swabinchin.jpg

Swabinchin-Riders-Closeup-1-Sept78.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That's South of the Border (AKA Pedroland) in Dillon SC:

sob.gif

i95ncexit1.JPG

Anyone who ever drove down to Disney on I-95 knows it well! There used to be billboards along the highway telling you how many miles you were from South of the Border, and each one was more elaborate than the last. They've cut back a lot on them, but in the 70's and 80's it was part of the Disney experience to all of us who drove down on vacation!

683px-south_of_the_border_sign_23_-_pedr

800px-south_of_the_border_sign_10_-_you_

They were up at least through 1983 which was the last drive I made to Disney.

They were also famous for their bumper stickers:

SCDILsouv_display.jpg

Everyone would stop at SOB on their way to Disney for their kids to take a rest stop after seeing all their billboards. While you parked in their lot, they had guys go around and put their bumper stickers on your car. You could always tell who in this area went to Disney from those bumper stickers. There were a lot of them on station wagons with faux wood grain paneling:

phaeton_cont_coach.jpg

Those billboards are still there! I saw them on the way to and from Hilton Head last year. I picked up on of those snow globe (above) for someone at work that had Pedro surrounded by flakes of white. I don't think it was suppose to be snow though!

Hey Tom, here's a challenge for January... get a picture of all the SOTB billboards on the way to Florida from the car. What a beautiful collection that would make! :P

As mentioned in the Schwabinchen Spotlight, here are some photos of European Schwabinchen dolls, similar to the female figure originally featured in the center of Great Adventure's ride. More information on these dolls can be found HERE.

schwabinchen1963.jpg

schwabinchen1963a.jpg

Schwabinchen, was sold outside of Germany, in Sweeden and Holland, under the names of Betty, and Willy Wildebras.

Here's a link to a video of the late Jean Shepherd stopping at South of the Border. Look like he stopped there during better days for SOB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGfuDoXXWxQ

Edited by The Master

I was there on Saturday and it was a real dump. There were only a few visitors and only the ferris wheel was operating. Everything else was rusting away. I wish they would sell that sombrero ride! We never stopped when I was a kid, and I'm glad my parents spared me the visit. I could be a nice place.

Hey Dan, it doesn't sound like it has gotten any better since when I stopped in last. Those billboards are a good marketing tool - you almost feel obligated to stop in and at least take a pee or something after being "entertained" for so many miles! Once you get there it's a huge let down.

It is sort of like the billboards and advertisements they had for Keansburg Amusement Park. They proclaimed over 100 attractions. I think they must have been counting every Skeeball game individually.