VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

The Stables at the Great Arena

29yrswithaGApass

Interesting that it was used for a Fright Fest trail one year.

Also that it took until 2022 for it to be fully demolished. Now do you think eventually the Northern Star Arena will come down (as it's been a while since any kind of show was there) and if so, what takes it's place?

I say you could have a B&M Dive or Wing Coaster there .... or why not fuse them together (a Winged Dive Coaster)

On 9/27/2022 at 12:45 PM, I Have No Name said:

Interesting that it was used for a Fright Fest trail one year.

Also that it took until 2022 for it to be fully demolished. Now do you think eventually the Northern Star Arena will come down (as it's been a while since any kind of show was there) and if so, what takes it's place?

I say you could have a B&M Dive or Wing Coaster there .... or why not fuse them together (a Winged Dive Coaster)

I would like to see the arena make a comeback, but I have a feeling that isn’t going to happen. Took this picture on the first day of Fright Fest and from the outside, it’s so run down. If it isn’t going to be used again, I’d love to see the space cleared for a new coaster. I have to imagine there’s a reason the stables were finally removed after sitting unused for 17 years.

B470A98E-6BB7-49BB-AF0C-5C15638A4960.thumb.jpeg.b221c3603c639814e00410ac7afd9114.jpeg

Have to say I hope and pray we have not lost the Great Arena.  Especially if we've lost it to simply a lack of basic maintenance over it's nearly 50 year lifetime.  I think we've already lost too many uniquely Great Adventure features/icons mostly due to a lack of basic season-to-season upkeep.

Just my opinion, but the real lack of family oriented shows in so many of the park's (and other Six Flags locations) large venues seriously detracts from the company's ability to attract the family demographic that the current CEO claims he wants to attract because of their willingness to pay premium pricing.  Personally, nobody is willing to pay a premium price for a product or service that does not warrant that price.  That being said, any park filled with even the best rollercoasters, but lacking in so many other family oriented rides, shows, and attractions, does not warrant a premium price at the gate.  Especially when, once inside, they learn that they'll have to shell out even more money to pay for upcharge services like fast passes and may even have to make their purchases using everything except the mighty dollar.  None of this comes across well to guests.  They may sucker someone in the first time, but I have to believe that for many people, that will be their first and last visit.

• Like 1

Unfortunately with even more competition for concerts, I just don't see much future for the Arena. 

If I ran the park I'd build a new, better (maybe indoor) concert venue elsewhere in the park, possibly on the edge of the parking lot so it could be used in the off-season easily. 

The original intended use for the Great Arena was certainly not concerts.  If it was, there were far different designs that would have been more appropriate for a concert venue.  I understand that concerts have been a significant portion of the arena's usage over the years.  But, honestly, I don't think it's ever been considered an excellent venue for concerts, largely because of its seating layout and sound quality.  My point, however, is simply that most, if not all, of the Six Flags parks are lacking in shows and performances that can, and have, drawn the family demographic that the current CEO claims he wants more of in the parks.  That being said, the Great Arena remains a very large venue capable of hosting all sorts of performances even though it may not be the best layout for certain types of shows.  And, it remains one of Great Adventure's original icons.  Losing it, for me, would be a lot like losing the Big Wheel or Fort at this point.  Without them, or refurbished/new versions of them, I just see the park becoming a slab of concrete with rides thrown down (and most of those rides are rollercoasters that do not hold universal appeal for the family demographic).  Heck, at this point, even losing the four tents would be a serious detraction from what charm the park still holds for me.

The problem with hosting shows today in the Great Arena is that no show will ever feel popular because even a large turnout seems lost in that venue.  With 6500 seats and standing room for an additional 3500 guests, only a concert approaches filling the place.  Other than that it always felt like no one was interested because only a small percentage of seats were filled, even though it could translate to a capacity crowd in a smaller showplace.