VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

2023 Great ADVENTure Calendar- Day 13- Bring Back Printed Maps and Pamphlets

53 minutes ago, harry2004 said:

I wonder if cedar fair still do printed maps & pamphlets

Last summer when I went to Carowinds they did not have printed maps.

My family collected park maps and have a lot of them put up on the wall in our basement so when all the parks started doing away with them it was pretty unfortunate. Would love to have them brought back and I think a lot of people wish they would too

I just think if it's a cost saving measure, go back to selling poster maps. Years ago they didn't give out maps so they had information kiosks with maps throughout the park or you could buy a poster map for $1. They sold tons of maps to people, so they paid for themselves.  

• 3 weeks later...

As of today Universal Orlando has eliminated paper maps:

I get they're trying to save money on printing, and everyone has a phone, and it's the easiest way to make sure guests have the most current information, but I want a paper map, preferably a poster map even if I have to buy it. 

1 hour ago, GAcoaster said:

As of today Universal Orlando has eliminated paper maps:

I get they're trying to save money on printing, and everyone has a phone, and it's the easiest way to make sure guests have the most current information, but I want a paper map, preferably a poster map even if I have to buy it. 

well, looks like six flags wasn't the only one to lose the paper maps merchandise

It’s not too bad when you are familiar with the park but if it’s been several years since you have gone, it’s difficult to use only app.  I visited Williamsburg on Thanksgiving weekend and stopped off at Busch Gardens one night.  I missed not having a paper map because the app was awkward and hardly convenient for navigation.

It's sad to see the decline of paper map offerings. I would absolutely play the part of a RollerCoaster Tycoon guest, and pay for a map if the option to do so was available. They're a lot more handy than an app (especially if said app has to load yet again to bring the map up if you did something else on your phone), and much easier to scrutinize without having to constantly zoom in and out.

Further to that point, if I ever did a one-off visit to a park outside the Six Flags chain, I doubt I'd bother downloading their app. At least most parks still have directories in high traffic areas.

It could also be an environmental measure, however I find the app maps to be inconvenient because then you have to budget cell phone battery; also you have to stow your phone away periodically before rides. A possible solution would be to have the park maps visible on picture boards around the park, and also sell the souvenir posters in the gift shop as others have suggested. The days of the mass printed pamphlets are no longer, I believe.

I guess Disney parks are some of the last parks to still give maps for now but I wouldn't be surprised to see Disney eventually get rid of them too with the app required for so much during your day anyway.

I like to collect the maps and go through them from time and time to remind me of past park visits but otherwise don't really rely on them too much. The last new park I went to was SFOG in 2021 and I almost went in a circle (with a few areas like where Batman The Ride is off to the side) finding everything I wanted to. I realize not all parks are easy to navigate though. I can't imagine someone not familiar with a park like Busch Gardens Tampa trying to get from a ride like Cheetah Hunt or Montu back to Kumba without difficulty.