VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Very First Memories of Great Adventure

We have a wide range of members on the GreatAdventureHistory.com Forums so this question should yield responses that seem like ancient history to some and current events to others. Think back to your very first visit to Great Adventure. What is the earliest memory you can recall?

For me, my first visit was in the summer of 1974, the year the park opened. I could probably go on and on with a ton of wonderful memories from that day because there were many. However, my very first memory was sitting in the back seat of our family car with my sister all excited knowing we were getting closer and closer to the park. During those early years, the park had installed brown signs with white letters on the approaching roadways. When we reached the "Great Adventure Straight Ahead" sign, I was ecstatic! Not soon enough, the huge Great Adventure lion sign came into view standing what seemed like fifty feet tall. Back then, there were hardly any buildings around that section of Route 537 and that seemed to make the sight of the lion standing proud amongst the thick trees even more magical. We weren't even in the park yet and I was a Great Adventure fan! That excitement still continues for me to this day!

Harry

My earliest memeory is from the 1992 season as I visited Bugs Bunny Land with my family. My brother wanted to ride the Great American Scream Machine since he was finally tall enough and we went to see the Batman Stunt Show since my brother Jon loved Batman. We walked past something promoting Batman: The Ride but I can't exactly remember what it was. That's as far back as I can remember.

I remember pulling in and seeing a giant steel red coaster from my car seat and saying, "Mom, that's not the Cyclone". I remember Koala Kanyon, Adventure Rivers and seeing Lightnin' Loops. My first visit was either in 1990 or 1991. But my first memory was 1992. I also remember the Batman show and playing in some sort of ball pitt thing.

-Dainan "I also remember riding SMFF at 4 before RMT or RT" Rafferty

My first trip was just in '04. I rode B:TR first, then S:UF. The lines were long, so we didn't do many rides. If I remember correctly, we also did GASM, Rolling Thunder, Chaos, and Freefall. We almost did Medusa, but the line was too long and we left.

In '05 however, we got a hotel and stayed for two days. I got on just about every ride, and completed all of my credits there except for Road Runner Railway. One of the best park trips I've ever had.

My first visit was in 1999, the first thing I can remember is seeing how large Great American Scream Machine was and how I said I would never ride it (I was 6 then). My first ride was Congo Rapids and I don't remember much after that except having fun in Bugs Bunny Land.

I don't remember my first visit in 1995 ( I was 1 years old). I do remember my visit 2004. I went with my dad to the Great American Scream Machine. Later that day, I took my first rides on Spongebob and Medusa.

Edited by MarioSonic94

My earliest memeory is from the 1992 season as I visited Bugs Bunny Land with my family. My brother wanted to ride the Great American Scream Machine since he was finally tall enough and we went to see the Batman Stunt Show since my brother Jon loved Batman. We walked past something promoting Batman: The Ride but I can't exactly remember what it was. That's as far back as I can remember.

I believe you might be thinking of the Batman The Ride preview kiosk which was temporarily located infront of the future ride site during 1992.

gallery_2_10_548121.jpg

Harry, respectfully request you share some of those old Batman: The Ride pics. As CycloneMan can vouch, I'm a little obsessed with the ride. And with good reason. :)

My first memory... well first one that came to mind, was going there when I was maybe 5 or 6. I would always go with my grandfather at least two or three times a week. Get there are opening, and do our daily tradition. Start on Big Wheel, then I'd go on Flying Wave, hit Fantasy Fling, then Autobahn and Mine Train. It would always happen the same. It was my thing. :) I can also recall the first time I ever stood on the bridge for Movie Town Water Effect. I was about 7 and I didn't think the wave would be strong at all. So, I stood there, arms up and the next thing I knew I was slammed against the back wall. Hurt like hell... didn't go near the ride for a while, then went back on it a week later and had the time of my life up on that bridge. That was when they still had Security up there.

Wow... thinking back now, I can recall when they started building Chiller, when Pendulum and Evolution were up and running, going on Taz Tornado a million times... it's crazy.

I have tons more to share now. :D

My first memory of the park isn't a very pleasant one. My Dad worked in the park overnights in Cash Control, and like all employees, he had free tickets he could use for his family. So, we went to the park for the first time on the last weekend it was open in October, and it was chilly (in the 50's). Roaring Rapids was the BIG NEW RIDE at the time, so despite the temperature everyone was riding it. We rode and had a GREAT time, but I got soaked, and had to spend the rest of the day walking around in wet jeans. :cold:

Harry, respectfully request you share some of those old Batman: The Ride pics. As CycloneMan can vouch, I'm a little obsessed with the ride. And with good reason. :)

My first memory... well first one that came to mind, was going there when I was maybe 5 or 6. I would always go with my grandfather at least two or three times a week. Get there are opening, and do our daily tradition. Start on Big Wheel, then I'd go on Flying Wave, hit Fantasy Fling, then Autobahn and Mine Train. It would always happen the same. It was my thing. :) I can also recall the first time I ever stood on the bridge for Movie Town Water Effect. I was about 7 and I didn't think the wave would be strong at all. So, I stood there, arms up and the next thing I knew I was slammed against the back wall. Hurt like hell... didn't go near the ride for a while, then went back on it a week later and had the time of my life up on that bridge. That was when they still had Security up there.

Wow... thinking back now, I can recall when they started building Chiller, when Pendulum and Evolution were up and running, going on Taz Tornado a million times... it's crazy.

I have tons more to share now. :D

Walter, we've discussed doing the Batman The Ride Spotlight so it is on our radar, although probably still a couple months out. I am sure we can share a couple shots beforehand in the gallery. As a Batman alumni, we welcome your input on any details about the ride that may be worth including in the write-up. You can email the info to feedback@greatadventurehistory.com and we will be sure to include it in the Spotlight. :Batsmile:

:offtopic:

Let's get back on topic now, shall we?

I now know what my first memory of the forums will be! :PictureTaker:

-Dainan "First time I've seen you get angry with out me talking about Chris" Rafferty

• 2 weeks later...

I remember very little of my first visit to the park in 1974. I do remember riding Runaway Train and being really excited. I was seven and it was my first steel coaster. It was so cool that I rode it 5 times that day.

The best memory I have is of opening day April 5, 2003 (I may be mistaken about the date. I know it was a Saturday.) My Godson Mat and I went down to the park to celebrate my birthday which was April 3rd.

We waited at the rope around the fountain until they let us go in to ride. While others ran around past Spinmeister and by Autobahn to get to Nitro, Mat and I walked calmly straight past the Big Wheel and Granny's Kitchen and beat all of them to the front seat for the first ride.

It was chilly that day but not too bad. However when we got to the top of the lift hill we saw snow flakes. I was like, "This is so cool."

By the end of the ride I was frozen solid. It was great.

Also that day we played that ring toss game that was across from the Daredevil Dive. Mat got a huge lion stuffed animal on his fourth ring. Not bad for a 13 year old who never played that game before. I made him carry it around until he gave up. So we stuffed in the back of my Bronco II and went back to Nitro.

He chickened out of Medusa but he did try Viper and that was the last time we ever got to ride it.

Good times in a great place.

Paulie it's cool that you were at the park in 1974. I remember my mom telling me about the time she bumped into people who told her about the park. It was at a 4th of July fireworks display and it made me wonder if it was the day that the park opened to the general public.

My earliest memory about the park was spending the day at my grandparents house when my family went to the park since there wasn't much for a 2 or 3 year old to do.

I remember piling in with my grandparents into their station wagon with my parents, sister, aunt, uncle and cousins to take the trip up north.

My first impression of the park was made by the carved bushes out front.

Scan10020a.jpg

I remember yellow caged carts with colorful paper mache' flowers for sale and white ornate iron carts with fruit-shapped sippers. I remember my first trip on the Big Wheel and the Sky Ride and my dad opening the doors of the gondolas while in the air to offer the quick way out! I remember riding Supersidewinder with my aunt and going through the Haunted Castle its caged in barrel of fun. I'm not too sure which other rides I rode my first visit but I remember being too short for Roaring Rapids. I think my first visit was in 1981. I don't recall seing the Great Train, Grand Prix or Wildcat.

my first memory of the park had to be in 1991 as i remember BBL ( i also known some of the park service or grounds still call Los Banos bathrooms BBL restrooms) and the ball pit and hearing RT roaring around the track. i also many of my season pases from the years somplace.

my first memory I remember pulling into the parking lot and looking at gasm its so huge and has so many inversions(89). It was very crowded and on a weekend. I remember riding the river rapids. I wanted to ride gasm but we didn't go that way I was with my family and we arrived by Lightnin Loops and mom told me to ride that one but I was scared of it than I was 9 and plus I didn't want to go backwards or go up that tower myself (I probably to short any how). I rode fantasy fling by myself. I remember standing by swiss bobb and wanting to ride it while I waited with my uncle for rest of family (but didn't ask bescause he seemed out in another world sometimes)at mtwe. To this day I still have my medal scream machine keychain. :sign_peace: