VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

The Jumbo Jet

J4Sing

Fact 1- The Jumbo Jet ride was installed in Great Adventure in 1975, never opened, then was removed at the end of the year.

Fact 2- An identical ride, even having the same signage on the top, existed in Norman Kaufman's amusement park on the Steeplechase Lot in Coney Island until around 1974. It then disappeared for a couple years, and resurfaced on Coney Island at Bowery and W 12 st around 1976, where it stood until just a couple years ago.

Is it possible that this is the same ride, removed from Steeplechase, sent to Great Adventure, then sent back to a different Coney Island location a year later?

I have heard people say it was the same ride but I am under the belief that it was 2 different rides.

There were a few of those Jumbo Jets floating around the world during that time so I really don't think the Kaufman ride is the one that was at GAdv.

The one at GAdv is rumored to have operated at Morey's Piers in Wildwood NJ.

I cannot find any other information confirming or denying the ride being the Kaufman owned ride.

Edited by PaulieGBones

I really wish it was still at the park. I have only been on the City Jet at Gillian's which looks like a smaller version of the Jumbo Jet. Although short, the City Jet was a great ride especially since it had no restraints until they had an accident with their Wild Mouse and added seatbelts to the City Jet. It's a shame so many Schwarzkopf coasters are not around anymore.

The lack of restraints always surprised me. I can remember riding the Glissade at Busch/The Old Country for the first time back in 1982 and being shocked that there weren't seatbelts. I recall going up the circular lift and looking around trying to see if for some reason those were just missing from our car!

^Bonjour Marc! Quand avez-vous rejoindre? :P

Anyway, I remember the Jumbo Jet at CI. It was one of my first coasters....but it had car seat belts. I remember I put my hands up, and the seat belt opened up...and my mother freaked out :P

It was a fun ride...as are all Schwartzkopfs, it's a shame it never lasted.

A couple of my friends over at the Coney Island USA threads are helping me investigate. If the Kaufman Jumbo Jet was removed from the Steeplechase site before the 1975 season it very well might be the same one. We know that it was not assembled at the Bowery/Stilwell location until 1978 or 1979, as the Tornado coaster (a Prior and Church masterpiece, better than the Cyclone and gone way before it's time) was there until the winter of 1977. I personally know that by 1979, the Steeplechase site was an overgrown ruin of rusted abandoned ride parts, so the Kaufman JJ was definitely gone from there for several years already. I'll let you guys know as soon as I find out.

Edited by J4Sing