VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Six Flags' In-Park Television Network

It is not just for people who bring to much crap with them ( I do think is dumb of people who bring a ton of stuff into a park). Even if all you have loose on you is a pair of sunglasses on your head the locker nazis will force you to rent a locker just for those glasses, putting them in your secure pocket will not be good enough. The parks that have adopted this have also gotten rid of free lockers and bins up in their stations. So say you have a 20 oz soda bottle you just want to put in a bin up in the station while you ride, in SFOG and SFDK you can't, you will have to pay to rent a locker for that soda to ride. :rant: The rest of the SF parks are supposed to get SFTV next year (09).

Edited by The Master

So whate exactly happens when you are not willing to rent a locker for that small item that would have been secured in a regular bin normally. Do they force you out of line after your wait to get on or does something else happen. I am just curious because my girlfriend wears glasses so I thnk I would be quite put off if they insisted that we pay to store something that was a necessity for her. I'm just curious more about this because this is the first I've really heard of it and I think that if someone at the park was confrontational about a situation like that with me I would get kind of heated up.

I don't know but my guess about what to do is before getting in to a line secure your loose stuff like glasses so the locker nazis don't see you do this. SFMM had this years ago for X and there was no signs about this rule until you where almost at the station where there was a mess of people fighting to rent a locker so they could ride after waiting 2 + hours in line for X. When KK first opened they also had this but they where only strict about it the first year. I only found out about this the other day.

Edited by The Master

This topic sort of evolved from a TV related discussion to lockers but here's my take on it....

I can fully understand the Park's stand on requiring lockers. First and foremost there's the issue with objects, small or large, becoming projectiles while the ride is in motion - obviously a dangerous thing. Anything dropped out of a ride while traveling at high speeds (in some cases 128 mph) can cause serious injury either to fellow riders or nearby observers.

Secondly, the Park park invests a tremendous amount of money into these rides. A foreign object falling into "the works" could cripple a ride and cause serious repair costs. How many stories have we heard of people loosing their cell phones on Kingda Ka? Taking a major ride out of commission for several weeks has a big impact on the park's attendance numbers. I would be highly pissed if I spent $20 million dollars on a signature piece of machinery that needed to sit idle a good part of the summer because someone's $100 ipod landed in the wrong place.

• 4 months later...
So whate exactly happens when you are not willing to rent a locker for that small item that would have been secured in a regular bin normally. Do they force you out of line after your wait to get on or does something else happen. I am just curious because my girlfriend wears glasses so I thnk I would be quite put off if they insisted that we pay to store something that was a necessity for her. I'm just curious more about this because this is the first I've really heard of it and I think that if someone at the park was confrontational about a situation like that with me I would get kind of heated up.

My mom wears glasses. she wears cargos and keeps her glasses in a pocket.

You know what else sucks? when i go on nitro and i'm wearing flip flops they tell you to sit on them insted of putting them on the side like medusa. (i know it's a bad idea to were flip flops if i know i'm going on floorless coaster but my family goes on hot days B) .)

We have begun bringing a small little almost change purse thing that my girlfriend has wit us. It loops right around my belt loop and rests in my pocket when we are at the park, and it has room to fit her glasses for the rids such as Superman where she can't keep them on. Much easier than a locker or anything else, and doesn't take up much space. :)

Keeping to the topic at hand however, I have noticed that with some of the stuff being played on the televisions that do currently sit in the park, there hasn't been juch to really hold my attention. I used to enjoy the good old days of the TW ownership when the Looney Tunes were played on the monitors, but the random stuff they have going on now on the televisions just doesn't interest me.

Edited by JetsDevs4Lyf

• 3 weeks later...

Personally I think the tvs should stick to the queue areas at this point. Possible move inside in the future but for now when I am eating and such is like that small break from the park to relax for a few minutes. No real need to see people doing random things in the park and other advertisements. What could be cool is a cam system linked up to the restaurants and such. Something that switches back and forth from the major rides kind of giving you an idea of what the lines look like at certain major attractions. It could help move patron flow to the slower rides that day and give balance similar to the boards in Epcot with ride times.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

I heard this song while flipping through stations on my way to work this morning. This was one of the first videos they played when Great Adventure installed TVs in all the queue lines back in the early 1990s.

I remember it was night time and we were waiting in line for the far side on Rolling Thunder in the infield. It was pitch black except for the glowing televisions piping out this song......

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

^ I really hate that. The Spanish and Superman theme, respectively, were much more appropriate for each ride. Now, it's just more pop garbage. I hope that the new park management likes theming, and they stop that. I think each station should have it's own playlist. Nitro's song doesn't bother me, since it doesn't have a theme, but El Toro has such a great theme and it's ruined by the modern music.

^ I really hate that. The Spanish and Superman theme, respectively, were much more appropriate for each ride. Now, it's just more pop garbage. I hope that the new park management likes theming, and they stop that. I think each station should have it's own playlist. Nitro's song doesn't bother me, since it doesn't have a theme, but El Toro has such a great theme and it's ruined by the modern music.

I agree. All the load pop music blaring through the park is really destroying the atmosphere, and further alienating adults and families. The music should just be background music that enhances the theming and atmosphere, not a concert.

I went to Six Flags New England a couple of weeks ago and was glad to see they had a section of the park designated for superheroes, Superhero Adventures. Since they seem to love superheroes so much. At least they made a designated section for them. I though it was stupid, however, in Bizarro's que line they had TV monitors showing Garth Brooks and Taylor Swift in concert. They should use those monitors to explain who Bizarro is, since most of the population has no idea. This would create a storyline while waiting in line that would give the ride a purpose. They waste an opportunity by playing unrelated music and commercials instead.

I also thought it was strange that they changed Superman to Bizarro, going from a superhero everyone is familiar with to a nemisis most people have never heard of.

Blaring load music throughout the park is a huge mistake that is just creating a loud, obnoxious, roudy atmosphere that is going to take them down the very same path that led them to trouble before.

• 7 months later...

Those TVs stopped working long before the 2000s at GADV. Which is odd since those style TVs were still working at SFOT, SFAW, and SFMM in the early 2000s when I visited those parks. GADV just let their's fall into disrepair I guess, SFGADV wasn't very good about maintaining stuff during the 90s.

29years and GACoaster, I have a question.

During your Winter Tour of the park, you had pictures of framework for "Six Flags Media". I think your picture was in Movietown. I didn't get to go into Movietown on Opening Day, but were they still there? And what are they? Are they TVs, or billboards?

Six Flags TV Trivia:

In 1990s, which Six Flags TV are playing showing in the monitors on the lines at Six Flags Great Adventure?

and

In 1990s, which Six Flags TV were installed in other Six Flags theme parks besides Six Flags Great Adventure?

I know Six Flags Over Texas, Six Flags Astroworld, and Six Flags Magic Mountain had the same TVs and there's were still working when GADV's TVs had stopped working for many years. I can't remember if Six Flags St. Louis had them or not? There was alot of those old TVs at GADV, the parachutes, Big Wheel, Log Flume, Roaring Rapids, Runaway Mine Train, and Skyride stations had them. They didn't bother to install TVs for the newer rides like Skull Mt and Houdini since they stopped working by then. In the early 2000s one of the parachute's old TVs was on, but only showed static. In was the first time I saw any of them on in years, by then most of the TVs had been gutted and were just empty housings.

29years and GACoaster, I have a question.

During your Winter Tour of the park, you had pictures of framework for "Six Flags Media". I think your picture was in Movietown. I didn't get to go into Movietown on Opening Day, but were they still there? And what are they? Are they TVs, or billboards?

They are just basic frames for holding advertising posters. Nothing special or electronic.

• 3 months later...