VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Six Flags' In-Park Television Network

As a way of increasing in-house advertising revenue, Great Adventure will most likely be one of the first recipients of Six Flag's new in-park television network, Six Flags TV. This will be the second time Great Adventure's queues will be dotted with video monitors to broadcast to captive audiences stuck waiting in lines for rides. The first system appeared in the early 1990's and was used extensively to air Time Warner related music videos, television shows, and movie promos. We can probably expect similar content next year with a heavy dose of advertising.

Do you think this new system will improve the "waiting" experience?

Below: 1991- TVs in the queue for Congo Rapids. 2008's system will make use of plasmas.

19910175.jpg

I remember watching the Bugs Bunny cartoons when I was little inline for Runaway Mine Train, so it made me happy! I remember being bored by the ones at SMFF...then again, I was 4.

-Dainan "I don't want them back honestly" Rafferty

I welcome the TV's back as long as the audio does not have to compete with three or four other soundtracks. The park has an excellent new sound system which they just installed about three years ago but it seems there are several areas where there are too many things to listen to at once.

My fondest memory of the TV's was waiting in line for the Flying Wave while they played television trivia Q&A. The topic was The Waltons (a Warner Brothers show) and the question was how many children made up the Walton family?

Answer: Seven

Goodnight John-boy

In all the rides, the new TVs should play Looney Tune cartoons, excpet for SPongebob, Batman the Ride, and the Dark Knight. Spongebob 3D's queue TVs should play episodes of Spongebob. Batman and the Dark Knight's queue TVs should show episodes from Batman the Animated Series

Luis L

QUOTE(29yrswithaGApass @ Nov 12 2007, 11:31 PM)
I welcome the TV's back as long as the audio does not have to compete with three or four other soundtracks. The park has an excellent new sound system which they just installed about three years ago but it seems there are several areas where there are too many things to listen to at once.

My fondest memory of the TV's was waiting in line for the Flying Wave while they played television trivia Q&A. The topic was The Waltons (a Warner Brothers show) and the question was how many children made up the Walton family?

Click Here while you think of your answer and then scroll down.

Answer: Seven

Goodnight John-boy

Post of the year. Nay, the decade.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I used to enjoy the tv's in the queues when I was younger. In fact this past season we got into a couple of conversations for people while waiting for some of the older rides about when they used to air looney tunes and other items on the tv's in the queue. It would provide some fun little entertainment and I for one wouldn't mind some advertisements (or even quite a few) on the televisions as long as it led to less of those annoying and unsightly sings that are now located all over the park.

Placement of TVs should be much easier now that they've really shrunken in size. They can be more flexible in their placement since they're not as big as those tanks of television holders that they used to have. Having made use of the relaxation stations more frequently this past season, I enjoyed watching the TVs during my stay in the massage chairs. Having them yell at me for sitting in the chairs without putting money in is wrong in my opinion since it is a "relaxation" station, not a pay station, but they do as they will.

So they are bringing back the queue TVs. It's odd that it seemed GAdv's tvs stopped working long before the tvs at other Six Flags parks did. Back in the early 2000s I visted SFOT and SFMM and their tvs where still working but at that time GAdv's tvs had stopped working for a few years already. Hopefully they can keep the tvs running this time.

Edited by The Master

• 2 months later...

According to Screamscape, GA will not get the new inpark SFTV until 2009.

Six Flags - (3/13/08) For anyone wondering, the following is the list of park’s that will be installing SFTV in 2008: Six Flags Fiesta Texas, Six Flags over Texas, Six Flags over Georgia, Six Flags St. Louis, Six Flags Great America and Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. The rest of the parks are expected to add it in 2009.

According to reports on Screamscape, wherever the new SFTV shows up, the "locker nazis" follow. I have heard they are real bad in SFOG and they recently showed up at SFDK with SFTV. I sure hope GAdv does not get them.

Edited by The Master

They don't explain what the reason for both of them showing up at the same time but those locker nazis sound really bad. In SFOG they even force people with sunglasses to rent lockers on all their coasters. I for one do not want to be harassed by them every time I get in line for a coaster.

I think it's a case of the coasters just happen to be the rides with longest lines, so they are the first rides to get SFTV. It's coincidence.

And, I would suggest people make plans to stash stuff safely before entering coaster lines at GA too, because I believe this will be company wide policy on coasters, just like at Busch, and Universal.

I think that is ridiculous to be perfectly honest. When I am in the park I have very few things one me and a lot of times Ill just keep some important items inside one of the pay lockers outside of the rides through the park. But I also have zippered pockets in many of my shorts that I can keep the few items I need to keep on me while I walk around. I would never be willing to pay for a locker.