VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Big Wheel Rehab Underway

GAcoaster

As expected, Big Wheel is getting a much needed rehab this winter, with all the cars being removed as of Flyin' Phil's November update.

Click here for Flyin' Phil's November 30th pictures of the Big Wheel! (see picture #6)

Now with Phil's January update, it looks like nearly the whole wheel is down for painting and repairs. The wheel's spokes are staked neatly along Dream Street waiting for structural inspections and repairs when needed and a fresh coat of paint.

Click here for Flyin' Phil's January 4th pictures of the Big Wheel! (See picture #24)

Please note= though Phil's captions indicate the ride is being removed, as of our last contact with the park, this is a REHAB. Like with all rehabs, unexpected problems could be found during the rehab which prevent the ride from being able to be safely rehabbed and reopened, but as far as we know the ride will be reconstructed and reopen.

This ride was designed for easy assembly and disassembly, so taking it apart like this is what it was designed to do. It makes maintenance and painting of the ride that much easier and means the maintenance team can fully inspect and/or repair each part safely on the ground.

Did anybody notice that timewarps cars are gone, I remember reading a thread that someone said they had seem them being transported on the highway, can anyone prove me wrong, from what I can see, they're gone..

http://www.flyinphilsphotos.com/amuse/nj/s...07-12-30/album0 last year..

http://www.flyinphilsphotos.com/amuse/nj/s...09-01-04/album0 Jan 4th 2009

EDIT: JUST REALIZED THIS HAS ALREADY BEEN BROUGHT TO ATTENTION, SORRY.

Edited by southview2

Always cool photos, since they are taking the Big Wheel apart for rehab they should clean and repaint the parts. Anyone who restores stuff knows it's best to take the item apart so it can be cleaned and repainted well. Also anyone notice that one of the Runaway Mine Trains is still on the siding with no covers? pretty odd. It is a shame GAdv didn't or could not reinstall Timewarp somewhere in park with it's major lack of flat rides these days.

Edited by The Master

As Tom mentioned, the Big Wheel was designed as a traveling attraction for easy disassembly and assembly. I think we need to keep our fingers crossed that no unseen problems pop up that prevent it from being put back together. With this news I am definetly going to try to make it to the Jackson Twp. Planning Board Meeting this evening. I don't think a ride removal will be included in it, but a replacement would, if it is the case.

Edited by Railer

In my opinion the Big Wheel is a MAJOR ride in the park. If indeed problems pop up that would not allow it to be re-assembled I would hope they would replace it. No Big Wheel would be a terrible thing, worse than any other removal, it is a park Icon. And if the Budget would not allow it to be replaced this year, hopefully they would next Season.

Mark Kane also emphatically stated B&R: The Chiller wasn't going anywhere (at "Great Adventure Source Day" in 2007). The ride was supposed to finally get the extensive rehab it needed, versus the band-aid fixes of years past. A week later, the blow torches were lit. Corporate told him otherwise.

Here's hoping "The Big Wheel" returns. I have little faith in Six Flags PR.

Edited by Thunderbolt

Mark Kane also emphatically stated B&R: The Chiller wasn't going anywhere (at "Great Adventure Source Day" in 2007). The ride was supposed to finally get the extensive rehab it needed, versus the band-aid fixes of years past. A week later, the blow torches were lit. Corporate told him otherwise.

Here's hoping "The Big Wheel" returns. I have little faith in Six Flags PR.

If you are talking about the Great Adventure Source Day on October 8, 2007 (Columbus Day) when Mark and Angel met with the forum members for a Q&A session, Chiller was already partially disassembled by then. It had started several weeks prior. In general, the amusement industry is known for short notice and last minute changes.

From "GA Source Day 2007":

100807-088_small.jpg

100807-102_small.jpg

Perhaps it was at an earlier Q&A session and I'm mistaken? Mark Kane's statement was purported shortly before a B&R:TC generator was found at the park's entrance, on flatbed. I'll have to search the gadv.com archives (if they weren't deleted).

***UPDATE*** It was the 7/26/2007 "Q&A Session with Mark Kane". http://tinyurl.com/739kbu

Q-Will it be open this year or are you going to give up on it?

A-We are definitely not going to give up on it. We are waitng for parts and will continue to try to get it up and running. We want to make sure everything is done right to avoid anymore downtime in the future.If we can get it done before the end of the season it will open if not it will be next season.

Edited by Thunderbolt

It's an issue, because as GACoaster put it above:

The only thing I caution is that Enterprise and Flying Wave were also "just rehabs" at first, then problems were found that made them too expensive to repair.

Plus, SIX has removed perfectly functioning rides before and replaced them with nothing. A Shapiro specialty.