VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Holiday in the Park

As mentioned in the Industry Rumors section, we have a very good chance of seeing a Winter Holiday event returning to GA next season. In the past Winter Lights included a Drive Thru Adventure lights display as well as Twinkle Towne- a festive Christmas village which featured food, games, pony rides, train ride, Santa meet and greet, and ice skating to name a few.

What type of an event would you consider an ideal Winter Holiday festival? What would it include? Where in the park would it be held? Make your Christmas wish list now! :Santahat:

I'd like to see Winter Lights again, honestly. I loved it. But, I'd also like to see the park opened during the winter and deck it out to Christmas and retheme some attractions (Houdini's Holiday Illusion), and a new 3D Show. Some new shows around, and get some attractions opened. You can operate rides in the cold. Something like Kingda Ka, probably would not do to well, but something like Skully, or RMT, or GASM could operate fine in cold weather.

Could you imagine what the whole park would look like if they decked it out for Christmas :drool: ?

-Dainan "OH GOD! Now I want it" Rafferty

Edited by CycloneMan

I think the possibility of Holiday in the Park coming is the perfect reason NOT to get rid of Old Country; it's charm really lends itself to a Christmas village. The whole park wouldn't have to be open: Movietown, Frontier Adventures and the Golden Kingdom could remain closed, allowing more time to remove the Fright Fest Decor. The fanciful Character Cafe would be ideal for visits with Santa, Christmas music would be great in the Patrina Williams and Musik Express, I'd like overlays for the Granny's signs renaming it "Mrs. Claus's Kitchen," a ginormous tree in the fountain... the possibilities are endless!

Iwerks has two Christmas movies available for their simulator theaters, A Tinkerdoodle Christmas and Santa's Late. Both links offer a preview video.

That scenery in Santa's Late sure looks like that featured in The Right Stuff! :unsure:

If the rumor about Sea World receiving a Polar Express (a Warner Brothers film) simulator adventure is true, I would love to see this at GA. That movie is incredible in IMAX and a ride version would be great!

I think the park would make out great with only limited access to certain areas. Assuming they had strictly an in-park event, they could even incorporate some of the light displays from Winter Lights (if they are still available) into a walk-thru inside the park. They could set them up along the paths of the Lake Front or other darkened areas. Disney Studios in Orlando has their walk-thru lights display and it is extremely popular. The light displays could lead to Bugs Bunny National Park where the Christmas-themed kiddie rides could be open and the Bandstand would be a great place for a small holiday stage show and Christmas carolers. How about changing the fountain into an ice skating rink?

I would love to see Dream Street illuminated only by thousands of Christmas lights! Ah, two of my favorite things together - GA and Christmas! :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I liked Winter Lights 2002. The 2003 train displays were a nice addition. The village concept would be great in Main Street.

I would love to see the Fantasy Forest opened, themed to a Christmas wish list with giant wrapped and unwrapped presents and places to donate toys or money for the Salvation Army, Toys for Tots, Feed the Children and other such causes.

The Boardwalk might be opened for games and The Polar Express (or another Iwerks Christmas movie) might play in the (Fly Me to the Moon) theater. The North Pole complete with Santa and his reindeer might be set up in the snowflake (Alcatraz.)

All four kiddie areas might be open with all points in between. There are plenty of places for flats and other attractions to open. The Musik Express might play upbeat/modern Christmas musik and the Autobahn might run with with the occasional fall of fake snow. Flying Wave might be rethemed as Santa's Flying Reindeer and Buccaneer could be decked out as Santa's Sleigh. Skull Mountain might be done up as Rankin & Bass' Rudolph and the Abominable Snowman and BlackBeards could be themed to Kris Kringle's encounters with the Winter Warlock. The Fantasy Fling might even be themed to a giant dreidel. The carousel, Houdini and maybe the Big Wheel (brrr!) might be opened too.

A Christmas show could be performed in Showcase Theater. If the park still has the hayride vehicles, a ride through Christmas light and scene displays might be a big attraction. They might even go all out and buy a train! Block Plaza del Carnaval and The Golden Kingdom, or leave them opened along with The Old Country, Lakefront and Wiggles World for a Christmas Around the World retheme. Just leave the coasters and water rides closed! The Dark Knight could be opened.

Edited by darkridedan

We really do, and with our proximity to both the Philly and New York areas it would seem we would have enough of a marketable base to get something. Even if all we got for now was a ressurection of Winter Lights it would still be nice for the park to be somewhat active fot the Holidays. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

I think gafreak was referring to winter lights which was a drive through light show. I think Holiday in the Park will be successful being that it will take place inside the park and allow park goers an entire new experience. Also, I''m positive that Houdini, Dark Knight, Skull Mountain as well as Showcase Theater (would be very logical to have a indoor show during this time of the year) will be the most popular attractions during this event. I would love to see a light show similar to what SFMM had in their DC Universe section during their event.

Also, does anyone know if Hershey's Holiday event admission is cheaper than their regular season pricing since limited attractions may be open due to weather conditions? I think Holiday in the Park will be a hit! My Niece and Nephew LOVE Christmas lights! We actually went to check a few houses out during the holiday season so I'm sure Families will turn up for the event if promoted properly. One last question, do the animals in the safari stay all year long? If so I hope they are all sheltered and warm. I can't see the safari being open during the winter.

I think gafreak was referring to winter lights which was a drive through light show.........One last question, do the animals in the safari stay all year long? If so I hope they are all sheltered and warm. I can't see the safari being open during the winter.

i know he was, i was just being a little sarcastic.

Yes the animals stay year long. Each animal species has a designated (heated)barn with access to an outside area so they are not restricted to the barn. Its up to them if they want to go out or not.

Thats awesome to know, wasn't sure! Thank you jdc12192. I can see them including the safari with the animals and a maybe even a scenic show to watch.

It would be cool but I don't think the animals would be out. The past two weekends was even a little too cold for most of the animals and only a select few were out. Also it'd be a night time event and usually all animal shows and attractions are done around 6.