VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

The Carousel is Being Restored

GAcoaster

Here is one of the long-awaited announcements from the park:

Six Flags Great Adventure recently began the three-year restoration of the 19th century, wood-carved carousel, one of the few remaining in the world. The 128 year old carousel was said to be a gift from a father, Mr. James Williams, to his daughter Patrina Williams, whose name still appears on the park icon. The carousel toured throughout the England’s circus and carnival circuit for nearly 93 years before moving to its home in Jackson, NJ.

To mark the carousel’s 35th Anniversary at Six Flags Great Adventure, park staff will remove each of the 36 all-wood horses and cockerels, delicately sand and masterfully repaint by hand. The brass ‘jumping’ poles will also be replaced with 36 new bright and beautiful brass poles.

These six pictures courtesy of Six Flags Great Adventure:

gallery_1_9_34511.jpg

gallery_1_9_3978.jpg

gallery_1_9_6172.jpg

gallery_1_9_91106.jpg

gallery_1_9_56769.jpg

gallery_1_9_148297.jpg

We'll be adding a few more pictures from our tour later today.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD!

Yes =)

That was our reaction too...and it was REALLY hard not being able to tell anyone until now! :D

So, I guess it's 3 of our wishes down (Safari Signs, Big Wheel and Carousel)...I wonder if there will be any more wishes granted this season... :D

The woman doing the restoration in this picture is the daughter of one of the original wood wrights who worked on the Carousel when it was restored back in 1974:

gallery_1_9_6172.jpg

I learned something new about the Carousel as well (and I thought I knew almost everything there is to know about the park :lol: ).

One of the horses is different than the others, with an eagle on the side of it:

gallery_2_4_118808.jpg

I learned something new about the Carousel as well (and I thought I knew almost everything there is to know about the park :lol: ).

One of the horses is different than the others, with an eagle on the side of it:

gallery_2_4_118808.jpg

Yep, that horse with the eagle is one of a kind. GA's "Declaration of Gifts" shop once sold a model collectible of the horse. The store's window in Dream Street was full of them.

gallery_2_53_293041.jpg

gallery_2_53_181568.jpg

i said this weeks ago. i knew this last season. this isnt news, im really upset because i thought the announcement was something cool and new, not the regularly scheduled maintinence

This is definatly not regular maintinence. Have you seen it the past coupe of years. Anyway this is great news. For some it is not big news, but for the ones who pay attention to detail in parks, this is good news. Looking Forward to riding it!! :)

i said this weeks ago. i knew this last season. this isnt news, im really upset because i thought the announcement was something cool and new, not the regularly scheduled maintinence
It's beyond "cool" to quite a few of us...

We were told that the carousel was included in the new lighting overhaul. didnt metion a paint job, but i think its due. they do it every two years and didnt do it before last season.
I think was much longer than that; I've been coming to GA on a more regular basis since the 2005 season; I could be wrong here, but I don't believe the carousel had been repainted that year or any year since. And, FYI, according to the park the only thing receiving LEDs this year is the big wheel...

Six Flags Great Adventure recently began the three-year restoration of the 19th century, wood-carved carousel, one of the few remaining in the world. The 128 year old carousel was said to be a gift from a father, Mr. James Williams, to his daughter Patrina Williams, whose name still appears on the park icon. The carousel toured throughout the England's circus and carnival circuit for nearly 93 years before moving to its home in Jackson, NJ. To mark the carousel's 35th Anniversary at Six Flags Great Adventure, park staff will remove each of the 36 all-wood horses and cockerels, delicately sand and masterfully repaint by hand. The brass 'jumping' poles will also be replaced with 36 new bright and beautiful brass poles.
Note:

"Three-year restoration"

"36 new bright and beautiful brass poles"

i.e. NOT "regularly scheduled maintinence [sic]"

This is amazing! After the Big Wheel rehab was announced I don't think there wasn't a single person on here who said or thought to themselves "man, I hope the Carousel gets the same treatment soon." I don't think any of us expected it this year! Totally awesome! Thanks for the news, guys!

Pete

I think was much longer than that; I've been coming to GA on a more regular basis since the 2005 season; I could be wrong here, but I don't believe the carousel had been repainted that year or any year since.

According to my photos and notes, the last time the Carousel horses and cockerels were painted was 2002.