VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Conestoga Wagon

It was looking pretty nice this year with its new paint job.

The site will be home to the new loading station for the Safari Off-Road Adventure.

Once again, I have to ask if Six Flags even understands the concept of planning or cares at all about the individuality of its parks. In NO way is it necessary to eliminate the Conestoga Wagon for the Safari Off-Road Adventure! The elimination of the Super Tepee was also NOT necessary. New canvass and replacing the old wooden beams with simulated wood beams made of steel could have easily replaced the old structure while maintaining an original park icon. Could the cost really have been that expensive? Both Conestoga and Tepee would also be new revenue generators given what I have to believe the park expects to be a dramatic increase in traffic flow to that section of the park. If the Fort is headed the way of these two attractions, what do we have left?

Edited by Daved Thomson

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately this is a BUSINESS they are running, and while the Conestoga Wagon and the Super Teepee were unique structures that gave the park character, they were also unique structures that cost a fortune to build in 1974 and maintaining them (let alone replacing them) was deemed cost prohibitive. At the same time, the budget for maintaining things or saving things has managed to save the Big Wheel, the Skyride, The Fort, the Log Flume, Best of the West, etc. Sometimes tough choice have to be made, and while the Conestoga Wagon was a great structure, it rarely did much business in its location and maintaining it I' sure cost more than the money it could make.

• 2 months later...

I had the great fortune of being able to be on hand for the demolition of the Conestoga Wagon this morning. With temps in the teens and wind chills in the single digits, the backhoe started its work as soon as we arrived shortly after 8am and the good old wagon put up quite a fight. The crunch and clanking of steel and wood and the roaring of the backhoe seemed extra loud in the cold winter air. Looking at the structure one would think that it would have been a simple knock down, appearing to be made of primarily wood studs and plywood. However, the truth of the matter is that under the plywood layers was a heavy duty framework of steel girders and beams. After effortlessly knocking off the most vulnerable piece, the oxen harness cross beam on the left side of the wagon, the rest was much more of a challenge. Pouncing on the harness strut with the backhoe did little but slightly shake the structure, knocking the snow off its roof and around the treads of the big wagon wheels. But where there is a will there is a way. Slowly but surely the demolition continued from the upper portions of the left side of the wagon, then the left front wheel, and then working its way from left to right as well as in from the front, the wagon was methodically disassembled.

gallery_2_579_649824.jpg

It was interesting to see that the Conestoga Wagon's original multi-colored paint scheme was not simply covered over with another layer a paint - something that I always assumed to be true. Instead, it was covered with another layer of plywood and the new plywood layer was what received the much more simple coloring. Also of note, the three lowest spokes of each wheel (the one at 6 o'clock and the neighboring spoke on each side) did actually serve as support for the wagon structure. These were part of the steel network of beams that held the wagon together. The other spokes served more of a decorative purpose.

gallery_2_579_581963.jpg

Systematically the debris was piled into wood and metal scrap. The first dumpster arrived around 11am and the first rubble to be discarded was the wood. By noon, all that remained was the right most portion of the wagon and soon after all was just a memory.

Watching the destruction of the Conestoga Wagon was a little sad as any original feature of Great Adventure is special to someone who enjoys the park's history. But seeing the area being vacated and knowing that this plot will for the first time introduce Great Adventure's largest original attraction, the Safari Park, into the most intact section of the original theme park seemed like a worthy substitute.

Are you allowed to post any pictures of the demolition? Its sad to see another original park icon go. Other than its unique impressive looks, I will miss the convenience of it during the concerts. It was the closest place to refill drinks. Its too bad parks don't put time and detail into today's structures like they did back then.

Edited by Chiller

I'd have to agree with many others on here; the demolition was senseless. This area has lost so much charm in the past 5 seasons or so. The removal of the TeePee to me was further justified, with it being structurally damaged and un-sound. This however seems unnecessary. I agree completely an alternate entrance could have been worked out rather than ripping down yet another historical icon of the park. Along with that this wagon added a wonderful themeing element to this section as well. I look down on this decision.

Really sad. So much for another Icon. And what about this Safari Adventure is going to so big? Why couldnt the Wagon be moved to the area inside the flume? remove the Shoot Out building and install a flat in its spot. And If the Safari is comming out to the Teepee thats not a whole lot of room for these off road trucks. the space between the flume and the fort isnt that wide nor is the area between the arena and second lift hill. And if correct and the land on right side of the arena is wetlands the safari is a no go then as well. if this land cant be touched. so my take is the plan to have the enterance to the right of the arena, and loading area in the old stable dressing spot for the original Great Arena Circus Show. And some one decide that we we will clear the area out and say "We nned the room for the Safari Adventure"...Amoument of Sliance . Thank you

To me this whole Safari adventure is one big mistake. It is a shame and even a disgrace to knock down an icon of the park like this. Six Flags is removing what makes the park, Great Adventure. Seems like everytime the chain gets new bigwigs they always do more harm than good.

Also a Safari ride will seem out of place by a giant western fort and a giant log cabin and Log flume. It is going to be a real miss-mash mess of different themes. Why don't they put the Safari Adventur station in Golden Kingdom?

Edited by The Master

I was surprised to see the tee pee gone more then anything. I clearly remember going in there when I was a little girl visiting the park for my family. The memories of the wagon for me was buying 3 cups of tea during Fright Fest when it was extremely cold out. I also wish they could have moved both structures to another area in the park.