VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

The Haunted Castle

Hey, does anybody have any more info about the Haunted Castle? I just saw a documentary the other day on the fire and he happened to mention that there were 2 different sides, only one of which had been open that day, which got me to wondering if that was correct and if so, were they themed differently?

Yes, there were two sides to the Haunted Castle, and they were mirror images to each other. I believe there were a few minor differences between the two sides, but generally they were identical.

They often would just have one side open unless the park was packed. A Friday night in May generally wouldn't have huge crowds, even with a concert in the park that night.

The "Documentary" on the Haunted Castle is more than a little skewed, and I wouldn't take it too seriously. I knew people who worked in the Haunted Castle and his conclusions are a not exactly correct.

The park has had MANY changes in management and ownership since the fire, and is not the same place it was back then. Immediately after the fire the park implemented a $5 million fire safety system so nothing like it could EVER happen again.

Wow, that was a fast response, thanks! Yeah, I was wondering just how much creedence to give to what he said, but i was more fascinated by the fact there were 2 sides. I was always under the impression that it was just a few trailers linked together but then I saw the pics and realized it was a lot more than I ever imagined.

It had a facade in front of the trailers, you can see one of the old fire trucks that responded to the fire junked near Nitro's tracks. Don't know if it is true but I read online that GAdv was planning to remove the haunted castle at the end of the year it burned down. The park had contacted a firm in Philly to build a new and better haunted house that would have been housed in a concrete building instead of trailers. Because of the fire the park cancelled the idea. The fire is a very sad part of GAdv's history.

Edited by The Master

The two sides were exactly the same with the exception of one scene. A lady figure was featured on one side and a man figure on the other. The only other difference was that on the left side you exited through a skull shaped doorway and on the right it was more of a castle-style door.

• 3 weeks later...

It's just ashame that there aren't any "Houses of Horror" around anymore. Jersey was a mecca for the Haunted House back in the day. I am still mourning the loss of Castle Dracula in Wildwood, it was the last of it's kind. I spent many a Summer in the Haunted Castle, and I was one of the last quest's to go thru it. I always think of it every time I hear a Golden Earring song on the Radio, And I will never forget all the Helicopter Spotlight's shining on us as we left the Park. One of those thing's that is burned in my memory forever.

• 2 weeks later...
It's just ashame that there aren't any "Houses of Horror" around anymore. Jersey was a mecca for the Haunted House back in the day. I am still mourning the loss of Castle Dracula in Wildwood, it was the last of it's kind. I spent many a Summer in the Haunted Castle, and I was one of the last quest's to go thru it. I always think of it every time I hear a Golden Earring song on the Radio, And I will never forget all the Helicopter Spotlight's shining on us as we left the Park. One of those thing's that is burned in my memory forever.

Yeah, I grew up in NJ and worked the night of the fire. The builder George Mahana also built one side of that same identical firetrap at Seaside Hieghts but called it "Doorway To Hell." He used the same polyethelyne foam used to "sculpt" the facade and interior walls (cave-like quality.) You can see the same exact exit (through a skull) is used. (http://www.darkinthepark.com/Seaside/seaside1.htm) Shortly after, Mr Mahana closed the attraction on the pier - for it too, was sorely lacking in the "safety" department. On the afternoon of the day he closed the pier-side attraction, we passed each other and he announced loudly "...Anyone wanna buy a slightly-used Haunted Castle real cheap???" While I had a twinge of sympathy for the guy, I still couldn't help running the evening of the fire through my head... That enitre night was pure mayhem for everyone working that evening.

We in security, had to clear the park, handle the flood of parents calling, demanding to know where their kids are, the barrage of news crews and choppers surrounding the park for hours... all of the other fire departments responding from neighboring towns and counties! Unbelievable, very surreal and extremely sad it for everyone for quite some time after.

Even with that said...

I agree, .... It's still a shame that places such as the Long Branch Haunted Mansion, The Brigantine Castle, Poe's Haunted House (VERY old Seaside attraction!) and the likes, no longer exist. Kids have NO idea how to interact or have fun anymore without everything having to be "extreme" or somehow gangsta...! Too bad these kids don't have places like these old school attractions to go to... I think they'd find a completely different take on the word "extreme" - that's for sure!

Enjoy!

• 6 months later...

I feel really bad for all of those who died or lost loved ones that night. I've read the online book and I was in tears when I heard that those kids that died were banging the walls and screaming for their lives while it was on

fire that night. I support everything this man is doing because the victims weren't just victims, they were people

with bright futures taken away from them. It might sound crazy but if Old Country were to reopen Id like for there to be a memorial because not only is it part of the park's history, but without all the laws placed after this

tragedy, something like this could've and can happen again. Everytime before going into the park, I say a silent prayer for the victims. May they never be forgotten. PS: I really think that if those castles were still around, there would be absolutely no way they'd pass all those safety codes they have now. :TwoCents:

• 3 months later...

There are a couple reasons why most Haunted Attractions are removed from New Jersey:

-One being the Haunted Castle

-The Second being the Haunted Hayride accident (the hanging accident)

-And a third being behaviour in general

Overall I think with vandelsim and wild Teenagers (Knowing this because I'm becoming one), it's better off to not have these types of rides. Supervision has become slim over the past decade or too. The Haunted Castle was, from what I know, a good ride. But, the design and security was terrible. You were probably more likely to die in the Haunted Castle then in a car crash. Don't take that the wrong way, I'm fond of Six Flags, but I stronly dislike the incident.

• 2 months later...
I feel really bad for all of those who died or lost loved ones that night. I've read the online book and I was in tears when I heard that those kids that died were banging the walls and screaming for their lives while it was on

fire that night. I support everything this man is doing because the victims weren't just victims, they were people

with bright futures taken away from them. It might sound crazy but if Old Country were to reopen Id like for there to be a memorial because not only is it part of the park's history, but without all the laws placed after this

tragedy, something like this could've and can happen again. Everytime before going into the park, I say a silent prayer for the victims. May they never be forgotten. PS: I really think that if those castles were still around, there would be absolutely no way they'd pass all those safety codes they have now. :TwoCents:

When the section re-opened there used to be a garden there dedicated to the 8 kids who died there, but it was removed when they built Autobahn and there was no form of remembrance anymore. This is something that I really hate about Six Flags management, GADV is such a great park but they couldn't have at least just given them a plaque? Instead, they covered up the accident with a (well-themed) building. Some people say that The Chiller was jinxed because Six Flags didn't give any remembrance to the teens. What was even worse was when they had the "Castle Escape" virtual reality attraction, where you escaped from a haunted castle that was on fire.

If they reopen Old Country, it would be simple enough to have a plaque in front of Autobahn, similar to what they have with the other historical attractions, except it would be about Haunted Castle. Instead of trying to cover it up, they could accept it and show the GP that they've made improvements since then.

Come to think of it, Great Adventure has improved both the haunted house and roller coaster industry's safety - with Lightnin' Loops and Haunted Castle.

~

And about behavior, Morey's Piers's new Ghost Ship is a great example of a modern day haunted attraction. All of the live actors are either behind fences or too far away to be touched, eliminating any safety issues. I hope we can at least get a shoot-em-up dark ride like Boo Blasters at Kings Island, it looked inexpensive and it was tons of fun. It keeps families coming back to beat their score.

Edited by scipiomask

When the section re-opened there used to be a garden there dedicated to the 8 kids who died there, but it was removed when they built Autobahn and there was no form of remembrance anymore. This is something that I really hate about Six Flags management, GADV is such a great park but they couldn't have at least just given them a plaque? Instead, they covered up the accident with a (well-themed) building. Some people say that The Chiller was jinxed because Six Flags didn't give any remembrance to the teens. What was even worse was when they had the "Castle Escape" virtual reality attraction, where you escaped from a haunted castle that was on fire.

If they reopen Old Country, it would be simple enough to have a plaque in front of Autobahn, similar to what they have with the other historical attractions, except it would be about Haunted Castle. Instead of trying to cover it up, they could accept it and show the GP that they've made improvements since then.

Come to think of it, Great Adventure has improved both the haunted house and roller coaster industry's safety - with Lightnin' Loops and Haunted Castle.

My feelings about getting rid of the garden is a little iffy, but I think to put some sort of memorial now, would be a bad move. Most of the locals who visit the park now, don't necessarily know the history of the park, let alone the Haunted Castle fire. I feel that it would be more morbid than anything else.

As for Castle Escape...that was an outside company that did it, but I ageee, distasteful

• 2 weeks later...

I've been going to Great Adventure since 89.I knew about Lightnin Loops accident when I went thats why I didn't ride it. Plus I didn't want to go backwards I had my eyes set on GASM,mom said no and to start with LL.But I new nothing of the Haunted Castle or Fire till the internet became a big thing and I researched amusement parks and their history.I have always loved Great Adventure and when I found that out,it didn't change my point of veiw of the park.Lightnin Loops and GASM is what sparked my interest in rollercoasters,watching the trains dance through the loops was just priceless.With the two other coasters simialar (Mr.Freeze)to chiller still operating and laying in a field I think something supernatural had something to do with all its probs,I could be wrong.I agree that there should be a plaque because trying to hide something like this isn't right.Having a plaque,etc is just showing respect to the victoms and families.This dont change my view on Great Adventure at all.Though what saddens me is loosing everthing from the 80s-90s and GASM my favorite coaster.So thats my veiw on the castle subject.

• 3 weeks later...

I started going to Great Adventure when the park opened in 1974, I was a kid back then. I have a vague recollection of the Haunted Castle when I visited the park in 1982 as a teenager. I'm fairly certain I went in it, but those were the hazy and crazy '80s. I then did not visit the park again until two years ago when I became a season pass holder. College, girls, music, concerts, bars, work, etc. were far more interesting to me once I reached 17 and beyond. Now that I have a family and I live in Jackson, NJ, it just made sense to get a season pass. The park is six miles from my house and with traffic it still only takes less than fifteen minutes each way. I should note that I grew up in Freehold, NJ so I have always lived within a close proximity to the park.

Sorry for rambling on and taking you on a trip down memory lane. The reason for my post is that I see the Haunted Castle was located where the Autobahn bumper cars reside. That ride has been closed, at least in 2010 and I believe it is now used for storage. Looking at my trusty GA 2010 map, it appears the Haunted Castle would be located near the Dark Night. There is a narrow path that leads to the 'Old Country Picnic Grove', reference number 68 on the 2010 map. Is that the correct location of where the Haunted Castle resided? I want to explore the area, with the confines of the law, the next time I visit. I more than likely will be there this coming Friday since we go every week.

FYI... this site has peaked my interest in exploring that area. I wonder if it will bring back any memories from 1982. The only things that look familiar to me today is the Log Flume and Runaway Train with the Great Theater. I remember seeing Led Zeppelin The Song Remains the Same there with Rat Race Choir giving a tribute concert before the movie. That again was back in 1982. That whole area looks exactly like it did back in '70s and '80s based on my memory.

This is a really cool site! I'm not much of a blogger, I don't tweet, and I don't like facebook but this site is cool.

Welcome SS-3 to our site! We have a great friendly community of Great Adventure fans here! Hope you enjoy it!

The Haunted Castle was located exactly where the Autobahn bumper cars now reside. Unfortunately that ride and The Old Country section are closed to the public so you won't have much luck checking out that area.

If you want to see what the park looked like in 1982, visit out 1982 Winter Tour Spotlight. It contains photos from the 1982 off season, but it gives you a pretty good idea of what the park was like that year (including the Haunted Castle).

Hi and thanks for welcoming me aboard. So if I am near the Dark Knight and Old Country Grove picnic area will I be able to see the front facade of the Autobahn bumper cars? In the photos I have seen it resembles a clock tower which leads me to believe it would be a fairly tall structure. I know that I cannot enter the area but I am just curious to view it and maybe snap a photo with my DSLR. I have a 200mm zoom so I can shoot from pretty far away.

There are a couple reasons why most Haunted Attractions are removed from New Jersey:

-One being the Haunted Castle

-The Second being the Haunted Hayride accident (the hanging accident)

-And a third being behaviour in general

When did this one happen? Can someone fill me in on this hanging incident?

Hopefully Ghost Ship will spark some new interest in the ride type - and it seems like it already has over at Wildwood, with 2 haunted rides opening up this year on the boardwalk other than Ghost Ship.

Ghost Ship is a bit different in that all the actors are behind fences or too far away from the GP to be attacked.

Hopefully Ghost Ship will spark some new interest in the ride type - and it seems like it already has over at Wildwood, with 2 haunted rides opening up this year on the boardwalk other than Ghost Ship.

Ghost Ship is a bit different in that all the actors are behind fences or too far away from the GP to be attacked.

From what I read that was a common problem at GADV's haunted castle. That guests would attack the actors often.

When did this one happen? Can someone fill me in on this hanging incident?

I don't want to get off topic, but there were actually two that I found:

Accident 1

Accident 2

Ever since many people have been too cautious to make more haunted houses. (At least, that's how I interpret it)

From what I read that was a common problem at GADV's haunted castle. That guests would attack the actors often.

Well, at least that's one mistake learned for the new attraction.

Edited by ThemeParkRider