VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

The Haunted Castle

Welcome SS-3,I was there in 08 and not much has changed but the loss of GASM.The only way you might be able to see that building would be on the Giant Wheel in the Spring or Fall when the trees are bare.Dark Knight is closer to where Lightnin' Loops was then the bumber cars if this helps. Dark Knight sits on the movie town water effects and some of chillers spot.Freefall was over across from movie town water effects.The haunted castle (bumper cars) are sort of across from the Enterprise(Spin Meister).

• 2 weeks later...

I was at Great Adventure last Friday after seeing the American Carnage tour the day before, boy was I sore. In any event, the best view of the Autobahn was indeed from Cabana Grove as one of the members posted. I had a pretty clear view from right outside the gate; it's a restricted area that you have to pay for in order to gain access. I spoke with one lady, the first time I went there. She stated if you go rent a Cabana, ($26.XX) for one person, you can actually go right up to the old Autobahn. She says there is a gate in there, that's supposedly open, according to her.

Now here's the real juicy news I got from her. She said they have been sprucing up the place, painting it, cleaning it up, etc. She thinks that the Autobahn and the Old Country section will reopen in 2011 or 2012. However, I went back later in the day and spoke with some very attractive young lady attendant at the Cabana, she was gorgeous, sorry I digress. In any event, she seemed to think they were not going to open it up again. 2011 or 2012 could be a very interesting year for the Autobahn (old Haunted Castle site) and the Old Country in general.

Edited by SS-3

Sorry to disappoint but they haven't been sprucing up anything back there (I was just through there on Monday). It will not be reopening any time soon except for the area they use for Fright Fest where Chiller was.

Unfortunately you can't believe everyone you meet in the park.

Sorry to disappoint but they haven't been sprucing up anything back there (I was just through there on Monday). It will not be reopening any time soon except for the area they use for Fright Fest where Chiller was.

Unfortunately you can't believe everyone you meet in the park.

She actually worked there, she was an attendant not a guest. Oh well, I knew it was only a 50/50 chance since one attendant said it would and the other said it would not.

Do you work there? Just curious how you had such close access to it.

^ That's disappointing. I mean, what's wrong with having an area that's a bit empty? I understand the area lacks a major thrill ride, but the area looks incredible (from above the Cabana gates), the theming looks pretty cool - and it looks to be a quiet, shady place that one could relax and enjoy some slower, classic rides.

Great Adventure, are you listening?? Open up Old Country! The park is already filled with dead-ends and we don't need any more!

Musik Express is getting to the point of "non-repair". Autobahn is not that bad though. With the hole in the canvas roof on Express the wooden "cars" are pretty warped now. It is sad that the park just "gave up on it", closed it and did zero maitinance. With the light's all lit it was a very "appealing" ride. I have alot of pics. I took last season, but can't post em' here. I might have a couple up in my gallery at Outpost.

Edited by Railer

hey railer, if your a park employee, id be very careful what you say on here, the park moniters these boards very, very close, people have been denied employment or fired due to comments posted about rides that are SBNO, or out of public view< just a warning to ya

I never worked at the park, and probably never will. I was going to be an "on call" VIP Guide this year (thank's to my park knowledge, alot of that is "owed" to this site) But I decided against it, taking the summer off. I know they "monitor" all the sites. I went to Outpost last night and I couldn't find my gallery over there, not sure if they have member gallery's anymore. I have so many pics. I can't post "publicly". Shoot me an E-Mail add. and I'll share them if anyone wants too see em'.

The rides are FAR from public view, especially during Fright Fest with Chiller's queue being used for the Asylum trail.

Back on topic, I'd really not be in favor of a walk through haunted attraction, but something along the lines of a haunted dark ride with moving vehicles like the Haunted Mansion would be really fun. You could theme it to Dracula and make it part of the Old Country and renovate Chiller's building, using the queue and the old loading platforms for load/unload platforms. Just a pipe dream though, its unlikely the park will ever have a year round haunted attraction.

^^ I love the leprechauns part. Nothing as scary as leprechauns!

I think a Looney Tunes dark ride would be really cool - but I think a haunted walk-thru would be cool as well. I'm in Wildwood right now, and last night I did the Ghost Ship for the third or fourth time, it's INCREDIBLE. They just have the actors behind fences (well, some of them). And, Ghost Ship is REALLY popular. It's one of the only rides with a line at Morey's. It would be extremely popular at GADV.

And interactive dark rides are always really popular. One of those would be cool.

• 3 weeks later...

From the comment box of the Haunted Castle documentary on YouTube. Somebody brought up GAH possibly doing a spolight on the Haunted Castle. The documentary creator replied with this.

Whatever is posted on that site will be heavily edited by the SFGA people, as is all the information on there. I'm surprised they are doing ANYTHING remotely related to the Haunted Castle.

Does the park really have a say on what's put or said in the spotlights or that's just a false claim made by the documentary creator?

For the record, the park has never asked us to edit or delete any content on GreatAdventureHistory.com. Also, they see our Spotlights at the same time as all of our members and readers. Only Tom (GAcoaster) and I review and edit our material between us before publishing it to the site.

I know it's a highly requested spotlight, but when it comes down to it there are very few pictures of it. We generally wait until we have enough pictures to tell the full story of the attraction before we do the spotlight on it. Right now we have about a dozen pictures and until we get more, we have to hold off.

We have never asked for the park's approval on anything. When we wrote the book they approved the text, but honestly the only thing they asked us to remove was something I wrote about the performance of Chiller matching the performance of the film it was based on (big disappointments!). When we do the spotlight the discussion of the accident will stick to the facts of the public record rather than conjecture and whacky conspiracy theories found in the "documentary".

I commented on the video by posting the rumor that the Master brought up. This is the director's respone

Wow! What news I ALREADY KNOW. Gee,does this fact change anything? I'd say, "NO!" They said that EVERY year. Talk about PROPOSING to close the barn door after the horse got out!

After that, he blocked me from posting on the video. There goes my chance of letting him know that his "facts" about GAH are absolute bull. BTW, has this guy ever tried to join the forums.

Edited by MarioSonic94

I commented on the video by posting the rumor that the Master brought up. This is the director's respone

After that, he blocked me from posting on the video. There goes my chance of letting him know that his "facts" about GAH are absolute bull. BTW, has this guy ever tried to join the forums.

Which rumor is that?

• 4 weeks later...
The "Documentary" on the Haunted Castle is more than a little skewed, and I wouldn't take it too seriously. I knew people who worked in the Haunted Castle and his conclusions are a not exactly correct.

Funny part is, Peter Smith won an award for Best Research for this documentary.

• Like 1

I watched those docu's again, with it being brought up here. Take it from someone that was in the Castle that night, they are wrong.

Just to clarifiy, I was there for the "Golden Earring" concert, and we were in the Castle for about 40min. "scaring" people as they came thru the "cavern" section. We left and when we got the concert you could see the smoke, so It started a little while after we left. The stobe was not working that night, and the doors were NOT locked. We always "popped" them open when we walked thru.