VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Rolling Thunder

ThemeParkRider

Did somebody say Rolling Thunder!?!?

Rolling Thunder is rough due to bad tracking. It has absolutely nothing to due with skidding. The ride hasn't fully been retracked or recieved new trains in a long time! In fact...I believe they're the same trains that it opened with. Regardless, the ride is poorly maintained due to the fact that the park doesn't care for it, nor consider it a major ride. The trains do get taken apart and rebuilt every year, but they haven't gotten new trains. Also, Coaster 2 (the inside track) traveled backwards in 1984 for the 100th anniversary of the roller coaster. It was called "Rednuht Gnillor"

Though, alot of retracking was done to Coaster 2 over this past season, and it runs smoother than previous years.

-Dainan "Avoid the yellow train in the last row" Rafferty

Though, alot of retracking was done to Coaster 2 over this past season, and it runs smoother than previous years.

^ I do not know why, but BOTH tracks on Rolling Thunder seem to be MUCH smoother this season, especially the yellow train side.

-_-

I have been on both tracks of Rolling Thunder and I noticed it was particularly painful. Is this caused by skidding? Also, I have heard around that track two used to travel backward. But this was removed. Could anyone help me with this? :huh:

Try riding toward the front on a seat that ISN'T over a set of wheels; it makes a world of difference.

A few days back I did about four runs in a row on Thunder (Dainan was there) And it was Great to Ride it when it's racing again, it does make it ALOT more fun, with all the Trash Talking going up the Lift. We went on the last row on "Left" on one of them and it was REALLY bad with Vibration's. Worse that I have ever felt it. It never hurt's me or anything, but someone that has a bad Back or something along those lines would have been hurt by it. I wish they would invest in a Re-Tracking and new Train's. That Ride could be really special with some Love thrown it's way.

I noticed that the one side of RT is alot smoother than the other. But I do think the coaster needs a major rehab but with SF the way it is I doubt it will happen anytime soon.

Edited by The Master

The weird thing about RT is that it is one of those rides that an "x2" or "bizzaro" makeover wouldn't improve the ride. The ride ios just thrilling if it's racing. That's were the thrill is, not with flames or on-ride audio. But these makeovers seem like it may be the only way RT will be retracked and get new trains.

I agree both sides seem smoother this year, the left side is more smooth (or at least I think it is). I have only seen both sides open on 1 visit to the park this year (to be fair, a lot of those visits were early in the season when the left side was having work done on it) but I also agree it makes the ride a lot more fun.

• 1 month later...

RT's one of my faves, especially the left side, but I'll only ride it in the first four rows - just too rough any further back. They need to give this classic the TLC it deserves.