VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Day 7- Bring Back Saturday Night Lights

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When asked if it would come back, Mark Kane said he wasn't sure but I pray this thing comes back. This slowly transforms our park into a day-long resort. I managed to catch mostly all the firework shows but never got to sit in the Grand Stand even from the sides it was such a beautiful show. Please let this come back, Gadv has one uped Disney at something!

If it does come back (fingers crossed) the park should have a set of defined/posted rules as to when the show will be canceled and how it will be rescheduled. It was often a mystery this year unless you were following the Great Adventure facebook page. I know they want to keep people in the park but not for a disappointment.

It would be interesting to see if the judge will order several changes in management ranks. I'm not sure who would want this job, but I'd like to see Jay Thomas move up into a senior position. I think Jay coupled with a competent CFO (who "gets" the theme park business) could really turn things around. Personally, I'd be headhunting people from Universal or BEC in earnest.

As a former "Mine Train-er" we had NIGHTLY fireworks over the lake by the Western Cables... The park used to be open until midnight DAILY - and sometimes until 2 AM on concert nights. Fireworks began at 9:45 PM nightly and were over at 10:00 PM. Wasn't a HUGE display, but it WAS very enjoyable! The best part, is that the park was open for a couple of hours afterward which allowed many guests the opportunity to either filter out of the park, or enjoy some last minute ride hopping.

The way things are today, the fireworks show is TOO crowded and once they are over, that's it - park's closed. Every person is now scrambling for the exit which creates mayhem at the gates, not to even MENTION the backup of traffic getting out of the parking lot! Last time I went, it took over two hours to get out of the parking lot! TOTALLY messed up!!!

I believe if they want to make an impression, lighten up a bit on the "one-day-per-week" massive display, and go for a smaller nightly show which EVERY guest can enjoy. Not just those who battle Saturday crowds! And extend park hours until midnight again.

I know... money money money. Seems like they were always profitable when I worked there - what's happened since? Here's what's happened:

1. Park theming and other "enhancements" have ruined the feel of the place. It's now just like every other Six Flags park. What makes GA a special place to visit? Used to be that the park remained comfortable and cool even on the hottest days thanks to all of the trees that were painstakingly spared during any construction project. Beginning with the Time Warner days, massive trees were cut down and the park became flooded with concrete and steel. Now they have to install misting fans and other cooling areas in order to keep the guests from passing out in the direct sun. How smart was that?

2. The park has been marketed to teen-age kids for many years. They have no money. Tearing out family oriented rides (i.e., all flat rides) in favor of multi-milllion dollar heart-pounding rides hasn't proven the most cost effective. Not every ride has to be a screaming coaster.

3. Food & Restaurants - Someone should be fired for allowing all of these independant contractors in the park! GA used to have some really decent dining for a theme park - and at REASONABLE prices no less! The old Best of the West is now a complete joke. A frozen Tyson's chicken breast qualifies for "BBQ-Chicken" ??? What has happened to this place!! REALLY!?! Bring back the originality throughout the park! Seriously, if I want "Johnny Rockets" or "Papa Johns" I'll stay home thank you, and pay a heckuva lot less!!! All of this contracting out, detracts from being at a theme park. Makes you feel like you're at a very expensive mall's food court. Can someone in GA food service management please take a trip out to Knoebel's in PA and actually SEE how a park can profit with unique food?

4. Merchandise - Enough with the damn Looney Tunes characters!! LOL! Seriously though, the park used to have very unique merchandise along with the typical crap. Today, there's only crap. No more Austrian Crystal, no more Native American products (heck, no more Tee Pee either! Way to go GA. Let the park rot away.

5. Staffing - They've cut staffing of the rides to the point they cannot be run at capacity which means long lines that make for tired & angry guests. Used to be that six people at a minumum, ran the mine train. One operator, three loaders, one usher assigning booths, and a person at the top of the stairs to let 28 people into the station at a time. Yes, all these people hustled three train operation all day, but the ride ran at max capacity all the time. You could go through an entire full queue line in about 30 minutes.

I have a whole list of "wishes" not just for the park as a guest, but from a management perspective. Dan Snyder may know how to rip off sports fans at FedEx field in MD., but the theme park industry is entirely different. He has no clue about it, nor how to run the largest chain of parks in the world!

BRING BACK LARRY COCHRAN!!!

A nightly fireworks show or even on 1 or 2 weekdays per week would be great. I'm one of those people who will not go to any park on a Saturday in the summer, it is too crowded to be any fun. The fireworks sounded amazing this past season and it would be great to see it more than once a week even if weekday fireworks were scaled down like you suggested.

I have a whole list of "wishes" not just for the park as a guest, but from a management perspective. Dan Snyder may know how to rip off sports fans at FedEx field in MD., but the theme park industry is entirely different. He has no clue about it, nor how to run the largest chain of parks in the world!

Amen!

Larry Cochran did offer his services to Six Flags in a bankruptcy petition. :)

As a former "Mine Train-er" we had NIGHTLY fireworks over the lake by the Western Cables... The park used to be open until midnight DAILY - and sometimes until 2 AM on concert nights. Fireworks began at 9:45 PM nightly and were over at 10:00 PM. Wasn't a HUGE display, but it WAS very enjoyable! The best part, is that the park was open for a couple of hours afterward which allowed many guests the opportunity to either filter out of the park, or enjoy some last minute ride hopping.

The way things are today, the fireworks show is TOO crowded and once they are over, that's it - park's closed. Every person is now scrambling for the exit which creates mayhem at the gates, not to even MENTION the backup of traffic getting out of the parking lot! Last time I went, it took over two hours to get out of the parking lot! TOTALLY messed up!!!

I believe if they want to make an impression, lighten up a bit on the "one-day-per-week" massive display, and go for a smaller nightly show which EVERY guest can enjoy. Not just those who battle Saturday crowds! And extend park hours until midnight again.

I know... money money money. Seems like they were always profitable when I worked there - what's happened since? Here's what's happened:

1. Park theming and other "enhancements" have ruined the feel of the place. It's now just like every other Six Flags park. What makes GA a special place to visit? Used to be that the park remained comfortable and cool even on the hottest days thanks to all of the trees that were painstakingly spared during any construction project. Beginning with the Time Warner days, massive trees were cut down and the park became flooded with concrete and steel. Now they have to install misting fans and other cooling areas in order to keep the guests from passing out in the direct sun. How smart was that?

What park doesn't have to install misters these days?Since the new management has been in control,they have been adding trees and shrubs and all that stuff throughout the park.

2. The park has been marketed to teen-age kids for many years. They have no money. Tearing out family oriented rides (i.e., all flat rides) in favor of multi-milllion dollar heart-pounding rides hasn't proven the most cost effective. Not every ride has to be a screaming coaster.

Flat rides have been taken out due to budget not being there to replace them.When Shapiro came in,he has only taken out rides that haven't worked or needed major work on them..

3. Food & Restaurants - Someone should be fired for allowing all of these independant contractors in the park! GA used to have some really decent dining for a theme park - and at REASONABLE prices no less! The old Best of the West is now a complete joke. A frozen Tyson's chicken breast qualifies for "BBQ-Chicken" ??? What has happened to this place!! REALLY!?! Bring back the originality throughout the park! Seriously, if I want "Johnny Rockets" or "Papa Johns" I'll stay home thank you, and pay a heckuva lot less!!! All of this contracting out, detracts from being at a theme park. Makes you feel like you're at a very expensive mall's food court. Can someone in GA food service management please take a trip out to Knoebel's in PA and actually SEE how a park can profit with unique food?

The independant companies coming in are a Corperate Alliance thing I believe.But yes good food would be nice to have,but not really something I would expect to see at this point.Prices are rediculous at any theme park for food,it's just how buisness is done these days.Economically they would make more of a profit with lower food prices since when Price for food is down,demand goes up.But honestly I don't know what there sales are like for food and that stuff.

4. Merchandise - Enough with the damn Looney Tunes characters!! LOL! Seriously though, the park used to have very unique merchandise along with the typical crap. Today, there's only crap. No more Austrian Crystal, no more Native American products (heck, no more Tee Pee either! Way to go GA. Let the park rot away.

I don't know if you have been living under a rock but the Teepee was removed due to a bad storm damaging it,and fixing it would cost ALOT to fix,and it really wouldn't make alot of sense to fix it.

5. Staffing - They've cut staffing of the rides to the point they cannot be run at capacity which means long lines that make for tired & angry guests. Used to be that six people at a minumum, ran the mine train. One operator, three loaders, one usher assigning booths, and a person at the top of the stairs to let 28 people into the station at a time. Yes, all these people hustled three train operation all day, but the ride ran at max capacity all the time. You could go through an entire full queue line in about 30 minutes.

Staffing is all part of the budget,that is obviously not that good since financially the company was going down the pooper.But honestly I think guests can be smart enough to get themselves into a row.Now you really don't need that many people,then it just becomes to crowded up there.With a good crew of one Operator,and 2 attendants,you can easily move the line along at a good pace.

Sporting events and Theme parks aren't to differant.

BRING BACK LARRY COCHRAN!!!

Mike,

I believe you missed the point of my comments:

"What park doesn't have to install misters these days?Since the new management has been in control,they have been adding trees and shrubs and all that stuff throughout the park."

</FONT>

Yes, but in comparison to the million$ of dollars it takes to build El Toro, Nitro, KK etc., a few hundred thousand is a lot more doable and keeps the "family ride" element alive.

"The independant companies coming in are a Corperate Alliance thing I believe.But yes good food would be nice to have,but not really something I would expect to see at this point.Prices are rediculous at any theme park for food,it's just how buisness is done these days.Economically they would make more of a profit with lower food prices since when Price for food is down,demand goes up.But honestly I don't know what there sales are like for food and that stuff."</FONT>

Not under a rock, but rather in reality. The Tee Pee and the other "icons" of the park, were never maintained properly and shouldn't have been allowed to fall into such a state of disrepair. Hence my comment "Way to go, let the park rot..." I would have been much happier to see the park maintained properly over time, with small expansions & upgrades - rather than constantly trying to install the biggest/fastest <insert ride description here>, costing millions of $$$. It's like constantly adding on to your home year after year, without fixing the leaky roof, repairing leaking windows, painting etc.

"Staffing is all part of the budget,that is obviously not that good since financially the company was going down the pooper.But honestly I think guests can be smart enough to get themselves into a row.Now you really don't need that many people,then it just becomes to crowded up there.With a good crew of one Operator,and 2 attendants,you can easily move the line along at a good pace."

</FONT>

Are you kidding? There's a COMPLETE difference between going to see a losing Red Skins game, and spending a day at a theme park. Marketing to sports fans, is different from marketing to a family looking to spend the day together at an amusement park. The dynamics alone can tell you that! Sporting events are out of control price-wise, but that's a whole other story! Saying they aren't too different, is like saying apples and grapefruits aren't much different either. They're both fruits right?

The whole "that's the way things are today" excuse is just that; an excuse... And might I say, a poor one at that! The reason they aren't doing well, is BECAUSE of the way things are today!!! They need to get back to the basics, to the original ideas and "ways of the old" if they are to survive. The park was VERY profitable back in the day, and it still can be with proper management (at ALL levels) and a complete overhaul of the training the staff receives. Simply chalking things up to "that the way it is..." only perpetuates the problem which does nothing to improve the situation.

People aren't putting up with "that's the way it is"... especially in this time of conservation! They're simply not spending $$$ for things they believe are a rip-off. VALUE is what is needed at the park. Families need to feel as if they've received something very special for their money. Hate to say it, but even Disney is feeling some pain - but they aren't facing bankruptcy. There are reasons for that... service, hospitality, cleanliness, efficiency, maintenance... the list goes on...

Trust me, I've been in the service industry for more than 30 years. More than 9 in theme parks alone. I believe I know what I'm talking about.

• 1 month later...

^ YES! This is great news! :)

fireworks_thumbs.jpg

Welcome back our Saturday Night Lights fireworks extravaganza! Bring the family out to be amazed by a perfectly synchronized display of pyro combustions set to rock music this Fourth of July at 10 p.m. Don’t miss this special presentation. Fireworks will run every Saturday for eight weeks following Independence Day. Weather permitting.

• 4 months later...