VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Super Sidewinder

29yrswithaGApass

Great Spotlight. This was one of the most fun rides the park has ever had. It wasn't scary or intense but it just made you smile the whole time on it. Watching the gears overhead moving and the fact that the lapbars didn't lock, added to the "scrambler motion" on such a big scale, really made it special and unique. It was also a time when the park was a lot of fun too, you could find a ride like this "hidden" in a corner of the park somewhere. Going on this ride is one of my best memories of the park, your missed by a lot of people.

Wow! This ride is interesting! I saw a tombstone of the ride on your Graveyard page and it says "You're truly one of a kind". This also reminds of another one of kind ride: the Z-Force/Flashback, a Space Diver roller coaster from Intamin

p21118.jpg

Photo copyrighted by RCDB and Michael S. Horwood

It was built in 1985 and first operated at Six Flags Great America in Illinois, then relocated to Six Flags Over Georgia and operated there from 1988 to 1991 and lastly relocated to Magic Mountain in California, where it operated from 1992 to 2003. The ride closed in 2003 and was SBNO for nearly five years. Unfortunately, it was demolished in 2007 and is being replaced by Mr. Six's Dance Coaster, a family coaster relocated from the abandoned and severely damaged Six Flags New Orleans that will open this year.

Let me ask you a question about the Super Sidewinder

Why did it closed in 1983? Was it unpopular? Why did have a short, 7-year lifespan?

Edited by GAThriller

Any time a ride is one of a kind it generally has a short life because parts usually have to be custom made for it which runs into big money.

That combined with its location at the back of the childrens' area which meant it didn't get as many riders as it could have lead to its demise.

It was built in 1985 and first operated at Six Flags Great America in Illinois, then relocated to Six Flags Over Georgia and operated there from 1988 to 1991 and lastly relocated to Magic Mountain in California, where it operated from 1992 to 2003. The ride closed in 2003 and was SBNO for nearly five years. Unfortunately, it was demolished in 2007 and is being replaced by Mr. Six's Dance Coaster, a family coaster relocated from the abandoned and severely damaged Six Flags New Orleans that will open this year.

Let me ask you a question about the Super Sidewinder

Why did it closed in 1983? Was it unpopular? Why did have a short, 7-year lifespan?

It made people bleed. I heard it was incredibly painful.

I was the first lead of the day crew for the Super Sidewinder.This ride wasn't part of the rides department but belonged to grounds for some reason.We never had to worry about numbers or anything.It never was very busy that first year because of location and it opened in the middle of the season.It was a smooth ride not as thrilling as they were hoping for.The one bad thing about this ride was that being so big it took a long time to stop after being shut off.

Welcome jomo56 to the site! We hope you enjoy your visits.

Thanks for the additional information on the Super Sidewinder. I forgot all about the ride taking a long time to come to a stop. I remember that riders would always try to get out of their seats before it stopped moving.

I read that the ride didn't open with the start of the '76 season but I didn't realize it wasn't until mid season. Very interesting!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

While gathering info for the Kiddie Kingdom Spotlight I once again started to wonder why on earth would the park put the Super Sidewinder behind Kiddie Kingdom. Maybe they intended for the ride to be accessed from the Rolling Thunder exit area?

gallery_2_526_547878.jpg

If you take a look at the photo above the new ride pad is in place but no walkway to the ride was yet defined. The ride could have easily had a walkway from the four o'clock point of the new ride pad which would have connected it to Rolling Thunder and Hernando's Hideway. Looking at from a different angle, check out the photo below:

SFGA0592A%20AUG79.jpg

• 1 year later...

I recall that one of the major 'arms' of the Sidewinder fell off during a cycle of operation one morning, I think that was in 1978. I don't remember if it was during the morning test runs or when it was in normal "guest" operation. but the whole arm assembly crashed to the ground. I don't recall any guests being injured

• 2 years later...

Think this is the first time I've seen this spotlight. This was one of my all-time favorite flat rides. Fun to ride late at night, but I was usually at the other end of the park at night. The ride would last about close to two minutes. IF there wasn't a long line, the operator would let you stay on for an extra spin. They don't make rides like this one anymore.