VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

1980's Concert Acts

kennybo

I had some momentous times at Great Adventure concerts in the early to mid 1980's. I am trying to get some dates that the concerts were held at the Great Arena, although I realize that this may be impossible. Eddie Money, Rick Springfield, Bonjovi, John Cafferty, Clarence Clemens, Crystal Ship, Robert Hazzard etc. Any info, especially 1985, to get me started would be a big help.

^Welcome to GAH kennybo!

Here are several of the dates that you were looking for, but we'll have to look a little deeper into our files for some of the others.

Eddie Money - June 16, 1989

John Cafferty -June 27, 1985 & June 13, 1986

Clarence Clemens (and the Red Bank Rockers) - June 25, 1982

Robert Hazzard - May 4, 1984

Some of the other 1985 concerts included:

May 9 - Miami Sound Machine

May 17 - Glad

June 6 - The Monkees, Herman's Hermits, Grass Roots & Gary Puckett

June 21 - Kool & The Gang

July 5&6 - David Copperfield

July 11&12 - Laura Branigan

July 26th - Ashford & Simpson

Aug 16 - Animotion

Aug 17 - Bobby Vinton

Aug 25 - Doc Severinson

Sept 2 - Lee Greenwood

Sept 13 - Charlie Daniels

I know I saw : Molly Hatchett, Ted Nugent, and we all remember the day Golden Earring played there, and Donnie and Marie Osmond and Bow Wow Wow (I want Candy). I have to think a little for the rest of the acts I saw, But those were all in the 80's.

Wow, you guys are great. Real good info. I also remember that the Christian acts would be big sellers and the Park would be packed. I also remember a story (from my Mom) that Andy Gibb was there is the late 70's and there were girls passing out and people rushing the stage and a lot of security issues. I was too young for that. Thanks for the help.

The employee's had to park in the safari the day of the Andy Gibb concert. We were then bused to the employee entrance. That was one of the days that the park closed, not allowing any more people in. Is there any history on the largest attendance? Or how often the park stopped allowing people in because the crowd was so large? It happened a few times a year in the 70's.

There have been a few of those concert days where the park reached capacity, but in the past decade the capacity days are generally the last weekend of Fright Fest.

I know the "record" for attendance at the park was some number over 60,000 and if I remember right it was a 4th of July concert day in the early 80's. Since then the park's capacity has been lowered because it was just too much for the park's infrastructure to have that many people.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

the concerts dont seem to be a big plan of this new managment, im not sure yet if its good or bad, i do like the concerts but can certinaly see where the big acts comming in could cost more, and the park seems to be in conservative mode at this time.

• 7 years later...
  • 2 years later...