VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Wild Rider

I remember riding the Wild Rider several times back in 1980. We use to wait for such a long time in line and the ride always seemed to be over before we knew it. Still, at the time this was the only "fast" full circuit steel coaster ride in the park. The Runaway Train was tame compared to its tight curves and compact design. We seldom rode the Wild Rider at night because we didn't want to waste all of our 'after sundown time' standing in line. Instead we use to hit up all the flats over and over again in that section of the park. All those rides had so many miniature lights, it made riding them at night seem like entirely new attractions compared to the daytime.

• 2 months later...

I was admiring this aerial of Wild Rider and started to wonder if Great Adventure is "too big" for a ride like this today? Obviously it is a slow loading ride with low capacity but Cedar Point still operates a similar model. How well do you think this type of ride (even if it were part of a ride package) would be received by an audience that is use to giant record setters?

gallery_2_531_722418.jpg

I think people would like it, as long as Six Flags didn't market it as a high-speed thrilling coaster with unique storytelling and special effects like they did with The Dark Knight. That's the only reason people don't like it, along with the fact that The Dark Knight is absolutely the last movie that should have been made into a Wild Mouse coaster.

I remember riding the Wild Rider several times back in 1980. We use to wait for such a long time in line and the ride always seemed to be over before we knew it. Still, at the time this was the only "fast" full circuit steel coaster ride in the park. The Runaway Train was tame compared to its tight curves and compact design. We seldom rode the Wild Rider at night because we didn't want to waste all of our 'after sundown time' standing in line. Instead we use to hit up all the flats over and over again in that section of the park. All those rides had so many miniature lights, it made riding them at night seem like entirely new attractions compared to the daytime

seems like the line statement still hold true today, i really miss the flats with the lights

Light packages are generally options for flat rides. If you look at pictures of the European fairs and Oktoberfest most rides are covered with lights, it's just a case of parks not necessarily wanting them (to save energy and to help them blend in with their surroundings rather than stand out).

• 1 year later...

During the years after Wild Rider was removed and before SplashWater Falls was built (1982-1986) the space was occupied by a tent which was used for both catering and as a beverage/food location. I can remember them having a "make your own pasta" dish station which allowed you to select a type of noodle (macaroni, spaghetti, etc.) and your own sauce (marinara, pesto, white clam sauce).

The Spotlight has been updated with this newly found photo:

scan0069%20AUG84%20copy.jpg

• 1 year later...

If you can take your eyes off of the fender bender in this photo, check out the Wild Rider coaster in back! This photo was taken in 1982 when the ride was standing but not operating.

This photo was taken near the shop next to the Big Wheel (across from what is today the Heist/King Pin games).

gallery_2_531_173310.jpg

• 3 years later...

I was never a fan of this kind of coaster, but those cars were cool looking!

In this YouTube video from 1980, if you jump to 1:35 you can catch the Wild Rider coaster in action during its last season of operation.

What an awesome stroll down memory lane! I was a freshman in college in 1980. Weird to see the Sky Ride cars painted all white....

If you can take your eyes off of the fender bender in this photo, check out the Wild Rider coaster in back! This photo was taken in 1982 when the ride was standing but not operating.

This photo was taken near the shop next to the Big Wheel (across from what is today the Heist/King Pin games).

gallery_2_531_173310.jpg

So is it me or does it look as if this truck may have been involved in some sort of nefarious activity and hit that tree during a high speed chase while running from the security vehicle I see in the background? LOL

I was admiring this aerial of Wild Rider and started to wonder if Great Adventure is "too big" for a ride like this today? Obviously it is a slow loading ride with low capacity but Cedar Point still operates a similar model. How well do you think this type of ride (even if it were part of a ride package) would be received by an audience that is use to giant record setters?

Sure would, retheme the cars to look like old merry go round chariots, and call it Leep the Dips, add a new tilt a whirl themed to old Atlantic City push carts call it the Waltzer, get a Majestic Music Express and use the Victorian themed carts. Get a Banddstand with a collopie in it plant trees. flower gardens etc. Add the old Dream Street costumes. And call the wole section "Turn of the Century"

Edited by FlumeOp1974
  • Like 1