VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Rolling Thunder

29yrswithaGApass

Also the chain on one of the sides, i dont remember which, is slower than the other.

When I worked there, side 2 (left while leaving station) had a slower chain. When we'd race, we'd dispatch that side first, and once the front of the train was out of the station, we'd dispatch the other side, that way they'd reach the top at the same time. Sigh....I miss those days.001_unsure.gif

-Dainan

Edited by CycloneMan

• 2 months later...

I doubt it would be considered "historical". As far as being a park staple, that wouldn't stop them from removing it. It all comes down to cost and availablility of parts. Parts shouldn't be a problem. I have no idea what maintenance costs are like and whether enough people ride it to make it worth the cost.

• 1 month later...

Wow, great find! The dad took a LOT of time to shoot that with several rides on it for the onride footage (He rode up front at least once and in back at least once) plus all that off-ride footage. And back then the only way to edit the film like that was to physically splice the film together which took FOREVER. That was a labor of love. My only quibble is it was shot in 1984 or 1985,not 1982 as stated. The Parachute tower was in it (added in 1983) and Sarajevo Bobsled (added in 1984).

• 3 weeks later...

So last season The Texas Giant at SFoT had gotten a rehab and according to screamscape.com The Georgia Cycole at SFoG will also be adding topper track.

http://screamscape.com/html/six_flags_over_georgia.htm

Seems like making classic wooden coasters is turning into something. I'm hoping on the advent calender for 2011 that the rehab of rolling thunder will be on there somewhere. Usually something ends up happening from the calender, and i think putting topper track on RT would make it a whole new experience and bring some life back to it. Maybe even get them running and/or one side running backwards again?

It's very possible to happen.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey guys check out the rolling thunder TV ad that I found on you tube:

Wow! That is an excellent find! I always thought the commercial for this ride would have been more dark and mysterious (stormy). It's odd to see that they just used Kings Island footage with placards on the trains.

Thanks for sharing this!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...