VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Runaway Trains 4th train

Really they only need two trains at a time so the third is in rehab for each season. As for the fourth, I don't know for sure, but I think they sent it to another park that needed a spare train. There is no way they were ever running four trains again and i guess SFOT or SFOG needed a spare.

The most recent photo I have of the 4th train (orange on yellow) was from 1980- nothing after that. Three train operation ended in 1987. It is amazing to think that this ride had four trains at one point.

I always wondered why Rolling Thunder didn't have an extra train to use when one of the four was inoperable.

I would think that they hit!!!!! One time when my uncle worked on it and it was raining only operating 1 train and he said it just flew trough the station on to the lift. VERY DANGEROUS!!!!!!!

Wow, safety reforms have traveled a long way since then.

It was designed for four train operation, and actually ran with four trains early on. With no air gates and a large crew it was much faster to load and unload. I've seen film of the RMT where the trains would hit that brake going into the station and come to a full stop (with everyone getting violently thrown into the lap bars). With the original configuration, you only had to check one lap bar on each car, so it was pop it open, guests get out, guests get in, push the bar down and read to dispatch in 30-45 seconds. Back then they didn't have the "I'm going to sue you over anything" mentality, so it didn't matter if there were people still walking on the exit platform as trains were leaving and arriving, People had common sense enough to stand back and out of the way and if they didn't it was there own fault, not the park's.