VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Day 11-Reopen a Revamped Old Country

Screamscape suggests that "The Autobahn" may well be reopened.

Six Flags Great Adventure - New 2012 Rumors

2012 - Sky Screamer and 3 Flat Rides and more - (12/8/11) The latest rumors from SFGAdv claim that the park's old closed Bumper Cars seem to be likely coming back to life in 2012. The park may also be looking into possibly putting a new live show back into the former Batman Stunt Show theater. Will they go the Batman route again or try something new?

I never understood the rationalization to build another bumper car attraction elsewhere. With the costs associated with construction, materials, permits, and conduit, there is no way this is cheaper than simply utilizing existing structure.

Great Adventure employees frequently pass through the former "Old Country" section. If Shapiro's "all employees are responsible for upkeep" policy remains (a positive program he installed), maintenance of the area seems also a minimal cost. Don't forget, "Musik Express" is expected to re-open. New construction costs would certainly outweigh staffing expenditures for re-opening "The Old Country". Unless, Six Flags plans to lease portable variants of said rides. Then I withdraw my points.

^ Actually, Musik Express is not going to reopen. The ride vehicles were sold and sent away.

My understanding from people who know is that the Autobahn is also beyond repair, and would cost as much to fix as it would to buy a brand new set of bumper cars.

Oops! I forgot the "Scrambler" was supposed to be the musical themed attraction. I figured since Great Adventure's "Musik Express" was pulled from Ital International, it was being reused/repurposed.

As for the Autobahn, how bad is the damage? Is it limited to the structure, ride system, or both? I'd imagine it would still be cheaper to utilize the Autobahn structure, even if the entire catenary system needed replacement.

Apparently it would require a full gut job to get it running again as well as all new ride vehicles. This stems from a lack of maintenance pretty much since the ride was built, then sitting unused for the past several seasons hastened its demise. The idea has been the new bumper cars would be all new and in an occupied area of the park. The problem with re-opening Old Country ONLY for Autobahn is having to reopen all the other things back there (2 stands, 4 games, etc.) which you would kind of have to do, otherwise it's walk through a ghost town to get to one attraction.

Before they go and reopen Old Country they have to build attendance levels up to the point that it's warranted.

My personal vision for Old Country would be to go full on Oktoberfest, with a couple of new rides, re-opened games, and creating a real Bier Garten atmosphere with fresh pretzels and beer in a contained area (much like what Busch Gardens does).

• 4 months later...

I was admiring what a prime piece of real estate the old Spinmeister site is in the park. In a way, I think it is a good sign that it is still vacant. Had a ride been placed there as part of the Adventure Alley area it could have meant that the Old Country area was d.o.a. I think there will be plans in the near future for that entire section of Great Adventure.

gallery_2_579_1121649.jpg

They really need to look at Old Country as an opportunity area of the park. I keep looking at Old Country as being similar to the Bayside pathway at SeaWorld Orlando. At SeaWorld the pathway is closed about 90% of the time, but opens up for special events and busy days to create additional space to handle the crowds. The pathway is used for the park's Halloween event as well as Christmas and other festivals with little booths used for games and food, a small stage for music acts to perform and a show venue for bigger acts. The same thing could happen at GA with special music and other festivals on busier days utilizing the games and food stands that are there. The pathway could feature temporary attractions like animals and music acts to fill things out. It could even be used in conjunction with the Picnic Grove to serve big group meals and help alleviate lines on busy days. They could take the Autobahn structure and fill it with picnic tables. Eventually rides could be added, but until the added capacity is needed it could open on demand.

SeaWorld uses the Bayside path for things like the Blues, Brew and Barbecue festival (something GA has also done in the past), as well as the Summer Nights series and Viva La Musica (Latin music festival) which are all things GA could do, along with Oktoberfest and other special events. It would be something where outside vendors could staff most of it with the park providing minimal staffing for things like catering.

Theres a zierer wave swinger for sale on ital EXACTLY like flying wave. it would fit perfectly in spin meister's pad and the theme overall! When money permits, add a new B&M X wing coaster to chiller's old spot, but theme it to Oktoberfest and call it 'spin Meister and have a lightly themed quenue of trees, banners and such and paint the coaster either green and brown or red, yellow and black like the germaan flag

if i ever win the lottery, im donating a brand new enterprise to GA.....

I salute you sir! :D

As for Old Country, once there is enough funds, I am sure Great Adventure will do something with the run downed area. I am now a little skeptical though. I doubt GA would reopen the area with the same name? I mean come on, when has Great Adventure used the same name for their rides? (ex. Enterprise I and Enterprise II/ Super Roundup-Fantasy Fling-Swashbuckler) Not to sound like a downer, but is this the end of Old Country as we know it?

Not to sound like a downer, but is this the end of Old Country as we know it?

I have a bad feeling if the section comes back, it will have a a whole new theme and it wont be German. The park will advertise it as a new section and it will most likely include a new ride or roller coaster using Chillers old station.

I have almost gotten to the point of not really caring if this abandon section comes back. I still want it to open again, but the rides and theme it once had are gone.

I have almost gotten to the point of not really caring if this abandon section comes back. I still want it to open again, but the rides and theme it once had are gone.

Well at first, we want things to go back to the way they were, but change is good.

^ Sad but true. If they ever do reopen the Old Country section of the park, I am sure it wll be chaged alot from what it was. Back in the Shapiro days, the original plan was to slowly clear out that area and rebuild it from scratch, though they could have just said it to shut people up. At any rate the clearing out never happened.

Edited by The Master