VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Retooled Aqua Stadium Show to Feature Sea Lions Only

gafreak

Any truth to this? From Screamscape:

Park News - (5/21/12) Screamscape sources tell us that the old Dolphin Show at Six Flags Great Adventure has been removed from the park's current entertainment lineup and replaced by Splashtacular, a show that only mentions Sea Lions. From what I'm told one of the park's two dolphins (Cody) passed away in late April, and is now making plans to send their one surviving dolphin (Avalon) to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom instead.

I say that GA really needs to take a hard look at there show line up, how about stopping all the crappy concerts and put in a few full season shows with that money, get 2 0r 3 decent concerts and 86 the rest and put it towards decent shows for the season, is it that hard to do? they seem to be able to do it for FF, so whats the difference for the rest of the season?

"Glow In The Park" is nice, but hardly has the nostalgic quality or replay value of even the old Disney Parades. The loss of the "Dolphin Show" is far more sad. Nobody at Six Flags gets it. They can never compete with the big boys, as long as they continue to operate as a "Coney Island" Amusement Park with bigger budgets.

Why on earth does Six Flags continue to offer free in-park concerts? That has to be a huge money drain, and what revenue does it bring in? Do the concerts bring greater single day ticket sales? Will people pay full price for a daily ticket just for a concert? Will the group attract patrons that may not be family oriented (like rowdy teens vs. families)? I'd wager a nightly fireworks and dolphin show would boost repeat visits, more than any loud concert. My argument is a moot point, as it's hard to directly monetize consumer happiness on Excel Spreadsheets. I may have rarely lol's at episodes of "KIng of the Hill". The group dynamics of kindness between Hank and his friends, as well as his family kept me coming back though.

It's not like they're just taking out the dolphin show. We're still going to have a sea lion show, which will probably be close to, if not just as fun. Besides, this wasn't just a decision the park made for no reason. One of the dolphins passed away. From what I've heard, the park is evaluating their options, and will likely have a new show later in the summer. I don't know if this means getting more dolphins or not. Overall, I'm really pleased with what management is doing to the park.

the park confirmed the rumor on there facebook page this evening,

Six Flags Great Adventure: Cody was a beloved member of the Six Flags family and is greatly missed. Our priority is to do what is best for Avalon. At Six Flags Discovery Kingdom he rejoins many other dolphins and will be part of a breeding program to preserve dolphins for generations to come. We look forward to several new additions to our family at Fort Independence soon.about an hour ago

THIS:

It's not like they're just taking out the dolphin show. We're still going to have a sea lion show, which will probably be close to, if not just as fun. Besides, this wasn't just a decision the park made for no reason. One of the dolphins passed away. From what I've heard, the park is evaluating their options, and will likely have a new show later in the summer.

I'm not certain if the deceased dolphin's death was expected or not. Why not borrow a dolphin from Discovery Kingdom? Why not simply announce due to unforeseen circumstances, the dolphin show was cancelled for this season, but will return next year? It seems a lot like the cancellation of "Temple of the Tiger". Park management took advantage of an opportunity to cancel an expensive show. They perceive it won't be missed.

I'm certain "Cody" and the dolphins will be missed by the trainers and other staff. I just don't see management investing to continue the show. In these cases, "Evaluating opportunities" usually means, "We'll see how much negative feedback we receive, and how it impacts our bottom line".

Edited by Thunderbolt

29 does make a valid point, i would love to see the return of the dive show, that was my all time favorite show at the park, probably because i knew a few of the divers and swam and dove in the pool with them a few times...

I think if the park was looking to cancel the show they wouldn't have invested the money in repainting the stadum this year.

2012_04_09_IMG_5733%20copy.jpg

GADV has had a long history or repairing stuff, then ripping it out anyway. It could be they still intended to have a show last year but decided this year to take advantage of an opportunity to cancel the show as Thunderbolt put it. I can see the stadum become another idle park building.

i dont think that they knew a dolphin was going to die, my guess is they were hoping for Cody to pull through, i think the park realizes that the dolphin show as popular and be willing to bet they are trying to put together a plan to fill the new void

COuldnt agree more! Kill the concert series and bring back daily live shows. Remove the Great Lake Grand Stands it dead anyway. Reinvest in The high Dive Show and Dolphins. Put a band Back in Band Stand by the Lake. Revamp the old Great Arena Circus Show. And Fix and restore the Americanna Music Hall or tear it down and Replace it with trees and a flat. :hot_air_balloon: