VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Photo of the Week

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what was the deal with the green boat with question marks on it that used to be next to medusa before it was bizarro. i always saw it when i was heading down the exit ramp. was that part of lethal weapon or some other show that never happened? does anyone remember seeing this?

Photo #32 - February 20, 2013:

2013_02_17.png

August 1983

From caricatures, to computer portraits, to celebrity magazine covers, Great Adventure

has always offered a wide variety of personalized merchandise options. In 1983, Thumb Toons

allowed guests to take home custom cartoons featuring their own fingerprints as art.

I wish that i could of rode it, my mom operated it in the mid 80's, she said it was funny seeing people freak out over a simple ride, power going out on bolth loops, and freefall if they sent 2 trains at once. To this day she says that she sometimes feels pain in her right foot from pushing the pedal to lock and open the harnesses. If anyone has any questions, ask! i will ask my mom them, she don't mid!

Edited by gasmspiritblue

Photo #34 - March 6, 2013:

2013_03_03.png

June 1981

Roaring Rapids opened on June 16, 1981. As the first river rafting style water ride on the East Coast,

the ride quickly attracted huge crowds. Food carts were set up all along the extended wait line which

backed up past the ride's unfinished winding entrance path and partially built covered queue house.

Photo #35 - March 13, 2013:

2013_03_10.png

Summer 1983

During the summer of 1983 through the wonder of a newfangled personal computing machine, for $1 guests

could find out in just 15 seconds "What was happening the day you were born?". The summary of events

was provided via a dot-matrix printer on perforated paper with removable tractor-feed margins.

I wish that i could of rode it, my mom operated it in the mid 80's, she said it was funny seeing people freak out over a simple ride, power going out on bolth loops, and freefall if they sent 2 trains at once. To this day she says that she sometimes feels pain in her right foot from pushing the pedal to lock and open the harnesses. If anyone has any questions, ask! i will ask my mom them, she don't mid!

That was the first ride I worked back in the early 80's... Loop II... I wonder if I worked with your mom back then?!? If we worked together, she'd know me by the fact that I was the one who "saddled' the train... then got transferred to Bumper I... LOL!

Being a little OCD, I remember when heading to the ride first thing in the morning, I'd count 92 steps from the ground, all the way to the top of the platform. At some point, you'd have to go back down the 92 steps and walk to the "far end" and climb another 87 steps to relieve the operator at the top. After an hour or so, someone would come to relieve you - then you went back down the 87 steps, walked back across to the station side and climbed the 92 steps again. THEN you'd go on break, and go back down the 92 steps, walk all the way to the canteen... then all the way back.. then back up the 92 steps... Now if you were sent to the far side again for an hour, you'd go back down the 92, across to the far side and up the 87 steps... then after another hour or so, back down the 87 steps, across to the station side, and up the 92 steps again! At the end of the day, you got to go down the 92 steps for the last time that day, but you couldn't just go to wardrobe (which was right next to the ride) and go home... Someone had to walk to the Ops Office (which was across from the canteen back then) to drop off the timesheet, turnstyle logs and other paperwork. Once the Ops Admin folks double-checked your totals, you were then free to walk back to wardrobe and go home!

Needless to say, LOTS of steps PLUS a lot of walking every day!!! LOL! I can't believe I STILL remember how many steps there were!!! Jeez, I can't believe I still remember the entire spiel for the Mine Train too! I guess it's second nature if you have to repeat it a thousand times a day!! :rolleyes_smeyes:

" During the summer of 1983 through the wonder of a newfangled personnel computing machine, for $1 guests

could find out in just 15 seconds "What was happening the day you were born?". The summary of events

was provided via a dot-matrix printer on perforated paper with removable tractor-feed margins. "

Not to be a spelling nazi... but I believe you meant "personal computing"... ;-)

Photo #36 - March 21, 2013:

2013_03_17.png

July 1974

The official opening of Great Adventure's Enchanted Forest in 1974 included marching bands,

local government representatives, and a colorful balloon release for when the gates first

opened to what would ultimately become the world's largest theme park!

Photo #37 - March 28, 2013:

2013_03_24.png

October 1974

Opening season plans for Great Adventure included two roller coaster attractions - the

Runaway Train and the Big Fury. However, because of shipping delays from Europe, the

Big Fury coaster would not arrive at the park until October. Notice the construction

worker wearing a winter jacket as he puts the finishing touches on Big Fury which would

open for just a few weekends at the end of the 1974 season.

Photo #38 - April 4, 2013:

2013_03_31.png

October 1974

For four seasons from 1974 to 1977, Great Adventure was home to one of the largest advertising props for a

theme park ever. When weather conditions permitted, the Great Adventure hot air balloon rose high above the

treetops from its mooring field which was located approximately where the Great American Road Race is today.

Photo #39 - April 11, 2013:

2013_04_07.png

Winter 1993/1994

During the winter of 1993/1994, Great Adventure's entrance plaza received a complete makeover changing it from a simple grouping
of small shops into the colonial style Main Street section of the park. To better accommodate the larger size buildings which would outline
the new thoroughfare and to alleviate crowding and traffic flow problems, the fountain walls were removed and downsized, leaving only the spray
fixtures from the original fountain within a new smaller octagonal basin.